Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

We've been hit by the appraisal mess - VENT

lyfia
14 years ago

So we are looking to refinance our 2 1/2 year old custom home (this is important later) and we live somewhat rural approx 80-90 miles from two large cities in TX.

The new appraisal house rules sent an appraiser from 90 miles away. He doesn't have access to the area MLS which is evident from the report and used what he could find that had been listed on a big city mls (to sell as weekend homes or because that area is part of that MLS). I questioned if he knows the area and he said he grew up in a town 25 miles away (that doesn't mean he knows the market).

Well we get the appraisal. The comps on there are as follows:

1. House not even in a neighboring county - actually in a county with much lower housing/land costs

2. A neighboring county - but over 30 miles away and although the house is comparable in size and age - 3 years older it is again in a different market and doesn't have acerage.

3. This is the BEST one!! This one actually is very close to us (within 5 miles). It is a 1600sq ft CAMP house that has an outhouse. The only indoor plumbing is to the kitchen sink. None of that is noted in the report though, but of course he doesn't know that because he doesn't know the AREA!! How do you compare a permanent custom built home with a CAMP house if you know the area. At least if he'd made appropriate adjustments.

4 & 5. Are listings on MLS - not sold - which are in the area and could be comps if they sold, however the age doesn't put them close and if you look in the mls here there are plenty more that would be more similar in size/age/acerage/style/amenities etc.

So I called a realtor in town to find out if there were no comps (this was before I figured out he was using the big city MLS). The realtor said few have sold similar to mine lately, but there are 2 that were very comparable and within a 10 mile radius that sold in the last 12 months. One even within 5 miles and it was NOT the camp house. They might not get what we would like the appraisal to be, but they are at least valid comps and much closer than what he used.

Actually if the camp house was used correctly comp wise with correct adjustments it would be a good comp as it sold for what I think is a huge amount for what it is.

So I called the Appraisal company because I want my money back. I paid to get a real appraisal. They told me I have to talk to my broker - which I already did and they are doing what they can, but can't talk to the appraisal guy himself.

I'm just annoyed at paying for such a hack job. Even the adjustments are a joke. I just gave you some of the gross errors/issues. When you look at the details there are many more, such as age adjustments, quality, acerage, etc.

Prices in this area have held steady in the last 3 years and looking at our old appraisal a 5 year difference in age got a $3000 adjustment. He put in $200 and $700 for a 10 year difference.

Anybody been successful in getting their money back or any suggestions how to get the money back.

Where can I find info on what is more the norm to use for some of the adjustments as I'm trying to build a case to get my money back.

Comments (10)

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You might call a local real estate broker & get a Broker Price Opinion with print-outs of the comparables-
    in my area, this will cost $50-$100-
    & get the data to the appraiser.

*After* you close & not before, write letters to your lender's president & CEO & let them know that it's patently ridiculous to assign an appraiser who cannot get the data.

I wish you the best.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sylvia - I called a local Realtor and he sent me two comps. It was just the listing with the date sold, dom, and selling price. Is the Broker Price Opinion something different? I'm not sure I want to waste more money at this point.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Would you be willing to have the original guy revise his appraisal?

Even though the appraiser did not seem competent to do your appraisal, if the bank hired him (or even knows about him - ie. approved your hiring him), they might be much more comfortable with an updated 'new and improved verson' of his appraisal than another one you provide from someone else. ('Appraisal shopping' is a well-known 'inflate the value' trick, so repeat appraisals are always suspected.)

Also, by asking him to redo his appraisal (using your new sales comps) gives him a chance to:
    a) Fix his own shoddy work (which he knows is shoddy), and
    b) Keep the money

Agreed, you won't get a reliable appraisal -- but all of my experience with residential appraisers indicates that you rarely get a reliable indicator of value anyway if your home is anything other than cookie-cutter...

• lyfia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If the original guy can do it, I'm open to it, but I'm not sure it will get any better. When taking the comps I got from the realtor and including one that is pending that is 13 miles away - better than any of his distance wise except for the camp house. I actually get a very reasonable appraisal and that is using his way too low numbers on some things and too high on others.

He put $85/sq ft for new replacement construction. That is laughable as I wish that is what we could build it for. Maybe in his area, but not here. $110/sq ft still low, but at least more reasonable.

I'm not so worried about it being super reliable, but full of blatant lies and not using valid comps and it is violating many of the Appraisal standards.

The bank said to submit a re-buttal and then they have to go to the appraisal management company.

At least there are so many issues with it that it gives me hope we'll get somewhere with it when doing the re-buttal.

• polie
    14 years ago

OP, are you using a local bank or a big national/regional bank? (I've read newstories that it's mainly the big banks which are using appraisal management companies with out-of-town appraisers.) I know you've probably already sunk a lot of money trying to get your place refinanced, so it might be impractical to try a different bank now.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Yuck -- I'm sorry it's already so far along.

The way it sounds, the process has put the appraiser in the position of having to defend his work, so now, instead of simply (and quietly) being able to say "Thanks - these comps are much better than anything I was able to locate" (in the 2-3 hours his $150 cut of the fee fairly compensates him for) --- Well, now he looks bad to his superiors and has to either eat crow or discredit your comps...

At one point in my career, I used to do some commercial appraisal work related to a specific industry. For this type of appraisal work, in-depth knowledge of the industry was critical, and 'ordinary' appraisal knowledge was insufficient; so in the course of my work, we came across a number of grossly incompetent appraisals. Even though we could show how and why they were wrong, getting them 'ignored' in the minds of the lenders was exceedingly difficult.

The lenders want the appraisal as a CYA document. So ignoring a low appraisal -- even if it's proved to be faulty -- leaves them vulnerable. If the loan were to ever go bad, anyone could point to that [bad] low appraisal and criticize them for making the decision to lend.

Your best bet might be to switch lenders...

• jerzeegirl
    14 years ago

The realtor said few have sold similar to mine lately, but there are 2 that were very comparable and within a 10 mile radius that sold in the last 12 months.

In this market a comp that is 12 months old is not really a good comp (if it's closer to 12 months).

• lyfia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well we got the comps submitted and the bank requested they be added to the appraisal. It appears that he did so grudgingly and really fudged his numbers differently on these than the original ones he did to try to not get the value increased much at all even though these support a much higher value. I'm going to file a complaint on his license. The report is full of errors/lies/inconsistencies.

My husband thinks he has it in for us as he had made a comment to him about we must be rich to be so young and have what we have. No we are not rich and we work hard and are in our low 40's with a young child so maybe he thought we were young. I'm not sure this would be the reason, but it is so odd what he did even with the real comps.

I'm still trying to get back my money, but I keep getting the run around. Going to talk to the bank manager if I can find the time today.

jerzeegirl - well these were closer in dates than the ones he used that were in a different county, different market and MLS, only thing close about them were the size of the house. BTW In this market doesn't apply where we are. The market has stayed the same and there have been no price decreases. Not all areas of the country has tanked.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear that -- He's 'gone defensive' on you and has been backed into a corner.

(And you do look younger than that...)

• mariend
    14 years ago

Is there any state agency you can go to? Don't let him push you into something you cannot and will not accept. go to the bank manager and clarify the problem. Who issues the licensing permits? If you feel he made a inapproate remark, tell his boss. Do not accept this. Most appraisers really do for the bank or lending institutions and it is their job to appraise the house for exactly what the bank really want to loan or lower. they get rebates for this, How do I know? I have too many friends in CA that are agents and/or own their own busineses. They are told, by the companies/banks etc either do it or we will not finance your homes.