Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home inspection with infrared scan

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 14:34

I'm shopping around for a home inspector and have come across a company offering the use of infrared scan technology to help identify (per its website):
Internal structural problems
Moisture concerns
Termites and other insects
Pipe and duct work leaks
Roof and ceiling leaks
Heat loss
Insulation deficiencies
Rats, mice and other pests

After the infrared scan, the home inspector then conducts a normal visual inspection.

Any opinions on the value of an infrared scan? I'm buying a 90 year old house that has been renovated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home inspection with infrared scan

Infrared scan technology is an excellent tool. However, the veracity of the results does depend upon the quality of the equipment, as well as the abilities of the inspector to use it properly and to make the proper assessments from what is seenand therein lies the rub.

As far as I know, the training needed to effectively utilize this technology in the home inspection profession is not readily available and it appears that there arent any standards out there to regulate the use of the device in order that one be assured that the HI really knows how to use it and to properly analyze what he finds.

It is my understanding that the HI needs to not only have skill in operating the camera but a solid understanding of the science involved in the assessment of the thermal evidence.

In addition, the device itself has limitations, such as not working on reflective surfaces, and deepening upon how much light or heat a surface emits, the conclusion will vary.
For example, the inspector must know how to determine the difference between and image that could represent a leakor simply a water pipe. Easier said than done.
There are also different levels of training, and various software depending upon the application.

And, if your state licenses wood destroying insect inspectors, my guess is they dont have an established standard as of yet for the use of IR in termite detectionwhich would mean the HI is making his own SOPif so, is that a license violation? If there is a standard, familiarize yourself with it in order to assess the results.

That said, a thorough understanding of both thermo-graphic principles and structural engineering provide the best chance that the HI will be able to interpret the data correctly.

Therefore, the technology should be used only by those home inspectors who are well trained on the device and are capable of accurately interpreting thermo imaging. The home inspector should be able to thoroughly document such training, and if he has been properly trained, he should make certain that you receive disclosure information making you fully aware of the limitations of thermo imaging.

I would want to verify that the HI has at minimum one year (preferably more) solid experience inspecting using the device.especially on old homes. Ask for references from inspections from a year ago where he has used the device, to see what the clients may have to say about the results.

Andcheck to see if he has E&O insurance that covers errors made in interpreting the results.

Best wishes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here