Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waiting on seller?

Posted by woodhick (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 14:12

A week and a half ago I submitted and offer for a home through my realtor. It took the sellers 5 days to counter that offer. Well, I countered their offer and after 5 more days I haven't heard anything from them. My realtor says not to worry that they are probably busy but I'm not so sure. Are they trying to send a message that my offer was too low or are they just not interested in negotiating? Could they really be busy? If I were trying to sell my home and someone comes with money, ready to deal, I would try my hardest to make it happen. Any opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waiting on seller?

Put a time limit on your offer.

o

It sounds like your offer isnt interesting enough for the seller. Time is on their side, other offers can still come in while yours sits there. If you want the house, make an offer that sparks their interest.

o

Spark their interest, and put a time limit on the reply.
Otherwise, why would they get right back to you? If they wait, someone else might put in a little higher offer.

o

We are buying a house. Any offers we made always had 24hr time limit. We always heard back by the next day. Your Realtor should put a time limit on the offer.

Jane

o

"Your Realtor should put a time limit on the offer. "

And shame on them for not doing it right from the start.

If the seller is not easily available the offer can be renewed with little effort.

o

The sellers finally responded to my offer. There are two owners involved and one of them was out of the country so I guess they were just busy. Still negotiating, I hope we can get this wrapped up before summer.

o

You might offer a slightly longer deadline on further offers than just 24 hours, but 72 hours should be adequate and ensure they seller understands this is not a game.

o

As a seller, if the buyer's offer has no time limit, I'll use that to my advantage by negotiating with other parties...

ALWAYS time-limit your offers --

o

The 'ol excuse of "the other partner is ouuta the Country" is used quite often. Next time they say that, let their agent know that you know that there are phones, faxes, and emails to use to get a response w/in 24 - 48 hours. Being on a cruise ship is no excuse either. They have the same technology.

o

"As a seller, if the buyer's offer has no time limit, I'll use that to my advantage by negotiating with other parties...

ALWAYS time-limit your offers --"

This is the chief reason to time limit all offers.

'Offer shopping' gives the seller even more of an advantage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here