Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indywar

Windows treatments for selling

indywar
11 years ago

Hi,

We are getting ready to place our house for sale (Indianapolis, IN). The house is 3 bed, ~ 1700 sqr ft, comp indicate price should be ~ $140k.

My question: at this price point, does adding curtains add value or help sell a house. We have the faux blinds in all windows, but I am wondering about the value of curtains? If I should buy them, what should I look for/stay away from?

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

Comments (19)

• Linda
    11 years ago

Depends on the house. Can you post pictures?

• sameboat
    11 years ago

If you are selling in the summer, maybe some sheer white lace panels? Keep it light. In the summer I actually remove my curtains. It feels lighter and cooler...

• xamsx
    11 years ago

You want to change your window coverings? Will the new coverings block the natural light? Are the faux blinds more in line with the furniture (assuming you are not selling empty), style of the house, etc?

• rrah
    11 years ago

Curtains won't add value, but may help the place look better. If you do buy any, keep them simple and neutral.

I'm not really sure what faux blinds are. Do you mean those temporary blinds they sell at big box stores or faux wood blinds? If it's the former, I would definitely add something. What do other houses in this price range have? Look at the MLS pictures of your competition.

• indywar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures, for what they are worth.

Thanks again for advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door & Window Photos

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

No, they look fine. The current look seems to be to use as little window drapery as possible.

• hoosierbred
    11 years ago

Indywar, we are in Brownsburg. We plan to list in a couple weeks - delayed because we need to get some things done outside and this winter weather won't leave. :-) We are in a rural area and have new wooden casement windows with no window treatments. Our realtor said not to put anything over our windows. Yours look fine the way they are in my opinion.

Good luck in selling!

• StPaulGal
    11 years ago

I'd get rid of the metal (?) hooks on the doors that seem intended to hold window treatments of some sort. Other than that, I think you're good to go. I tend to think of drapes as mildly old-fashioned.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

When I posted pics here for advice prior to listing, the resounding feedback was to add some softness to the windows in the bedrooms/office. I bought a couple nice but inexpensive curtain rods and panels from Home Goods. Overall investment was less than about $75 total for a couple of rooms and I have to say it did look much better.
    I'll just put a before and after so you can see the difference of such a minor thing

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 13:02

• hayden2
    11 years ago

kellienoelle, you're absolutely right! Small touch made a world of difference. Looks terrific.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Wow, what a difference. Trust your judgement.

Jane

• StPaulGal
    11 years ago

Wow, impressive! I love the change, and you may notice that I just said I found drapes old-fashioned. I take it back!

• StellaMarie
    11 years ago

I agree that you should get rid of the metal hooks -- and the binder clip on one of the strings -- make sure that everything is cleaned up and looks good. Pull the blinds up when you show (unless you want to block a view, e.g. of a neighbor's too-close house).

I was totally going to say that you should skip window treatments, but thought about it some more (and saw kellie's pic!) and think it might be a good idea to hang *inexpensive* drapes, like Ikea Vivians, primarily because you don't seem to have moldings around the windows. I'd leave the door as is, though.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Yes, check out IKEA curtains and rods, and I'd also hang the rod higher to add height.

(As an side, when buying our first house, we almost bought a house because we liked their curtains.)

Here is a link that might be useful: curtains

• indywar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to everyone who responded. I am grateful for the advice.

Rob

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

World Market is another place to check for inexpensive curtains, too.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Yes, and they always have sales going on; however, many of their curtains are patterned.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

When we sold, I made sure every window had some sort of curtain on it--light, open ones, (except where I didn't want the buyers to look out and see that the next door house was only 12' from their kitchen!). Curtains make a house look like a home, look less unfinished or indutrial.

Of course, every sale, every buyer is different, but I'll tell you this--I offered to leave most of the window coverings for our buyer so they wouldn't have to run right out and buy coverings for 40+ windows. And you know what? A year later, they've got all my curtains still hanging--so I'm pretty sure that the money I invested in those inexpensive curtains was WELL spent.

Cheap curtains?--I run to Marburn.

• tnanock
    11 years ago

Be sure that if you do get curtains that you check with your listing agent about whether or not you will have to leave them. It stated in our contract that all window treatments have to be left with the house. I didn't realize that until it was too late, so I could have used several of the rods and the curtains in my new house but had to leave them there.