Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

How many of you bury St. Joseph?

ladynimue
16 years ago

I saw a St. Joseph Home Seller KIT online (put the link below) - I'd never heard of it and I'm not Catholic nor Irish, but I'm intrigued by the idea.

With all the stress of preparing our home for listing and then the coming stress of showings, etc. I'm thinking the psychological benefits of feeling 'someone' is on your side would be pretty nice :)

How many of you have some sort of good luck home selling charm around? Does it work for you?

Shop Irish - coupon codes

WEB5 - $5 off any order of $10 or more!

8k141 - $4.99 standard shipping - Expires 03/15/08

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Joseph Home Seller KIT

Comments (76)

• zazz
    16 years ago

clax66,

I love your story! I did pretty much what you did when I sold my townhome many years ago.

I love telling this story, because it turned out so amazingly cool...

When I decided to sell my townhome, I decided to sell it FSBO, I had absolutely no experience in selling real estate, but I didn't want to pay realtor fees.(I was young, 27ish...how hard could it be?)
    I wrote out an ad to place it in the newspaper for the coming weekend, telling the potential buyer, exactly how much the total P.I.T.I would be to buy it, on an assumption loan. (I was a little upset when I bought it, at the extra costs at the closing table, so I didn't want any surprise's for the person buying my home.)

I started opening my front door, and visualizing the perfect person coming to my door, and falling in love with it, because it was perfect for THEM, and how happy & excited they were to find it.

The first couple that came that Saturday afternoon, said they loved it, and wanted to buy it.
    My dining room Chandelier, perfectly matched a lamp they had.

The next really cool part was that the young girls father was a loan officer, and helped guide me with all the paper work, that needed to be done.
    More than I even thought to imagine!

Clax66, I love that you wrote what you wanted on the floor and, tiled over it.
    I live in an apartment now, and when maintenance had to tear a wall out in my bath room I placed the color blue behind the wall. And...what was so interesting about that too, was when I mentioned it to him, he didn't even bat an eye, because he and his girlfriend are interested in feng Shui. (Go figure)

May you all find the buyers, that your home is perfect for.

• zazz
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh...how could I forget the most important thing I asked for, selling my home?!

...With Complete Wisdom, Justice, and Harmony for All Concerned,

• edgewood96
    16 years ago

I placed my house on the market last year and buried the St. Joseph statue even though I am not Catholic. By the way, I do have my Realtor's license. I never even got an offer after 4 months so I dug the statue up and brought it to my new home and held it and prayed diligently every day that the house would sell.....well it did not. I took the house off the market for 2 months and relisted the house but I did not bury the St. Joseph statue.

Last fall there was a big article in our newspaper talking about the St. Joseph statue and what people were willing to do to sell a home. There was also a different prayer printed in the paper than what came with my statue. I even tried praying the prayer that was in the newspaper but again no luck. My personal opinion only, I think it all depends on your Real Estate market and of course the condition of your home if and when a house sells. Praying can be done without burying the statue.

• alohamillion123
    16 years ago

There is more than one tradition. We purchased ours at a Christian bookstore and the prayer was very respectful. My SIL forwarded the prayer that came with hers as well as the instructions that indicated to bury the statue face down, which I found very disrespectful...the prayer was pretty self serving as well.

We are Catholic. We listed our house with a realtor for three months w/ little activity. We relisted a short time later FSBO, had our first showing five days later. We buried the statue just a few mins before the showing, and had an offer the next day. Coincidence???? I do not believe so which is maybe why it worked for us. AMEN! lol

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

There is an old Mexican wife's tale that says if you place a wet ball of red thread on a baby's forehead when he has hiccups they will go away. And you know what? They EVENTUALLY go away! Amazing!

• rosie_2006
    16 years ago

Last spring I buried St. Joseph in front yard and said the novenas.....nothing...zilch....dug him up and set him in front window....nothing...zilch.....took house off market. St. Joseph's been sitting in front window all this time.....

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, kellyeng.

I think I need an old wives tale 'formula' for my kitchen tile!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Which kit is everyone using successfully and what exactly are you doing? I see a few different kits one has candles another just St Joseph. There appear to be different prayers too.

• sweet_tea
    16 years ago

I didn't order a kit, but instead just got a statue. You can get one at catholicstore dot com.

• amandamay
    16 years ago

I'm not catholic but I buried a St. Joseph statue. My house had been on the market for 6 months with no offers. I went to the catholic book store in the middle of winter and buried him in the front yard, facing the house -- i can't remember if he was upside down or not. Nonetheless, we had an offer two months later and closed in antoher two months. I honestly believe it was b/c of the statue. I will bury again when I get ready to sell and this time I will not wait 6 months.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Neither of you said the prayer?

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

LOL. This is becoming a big deal in our area of the state. Personally, I've never tried it, and my DH and I sold two houses last year in about three months each.

• vhehn
    16 years ago

cant believe so many well educated grownups still fall for superstition.

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, who said we're well educated? ;)

• gretchenvon
    16 years ago

A different twist - When I put my condo up for sale in Cleveland before moving to Chicago, I asked St. Anthony to "find" me a buyer quickly. Whether or not he did, a buyer came through very soon and I moved. So I sent a generous donation to the St. Anthony mission in San Francisco (friend's aunt works there). Since then I have asked him to find my Filofax (which was returned from a rental car in Germany) and other items. So far he has delivered and I always make a donation. Am putting current house up for sale next month and will ask St. Anthony for his assistance. FYI, I'm a non-practicing Catholic who still believes in unexplainable things.

• sweet_tea
    16 years ago

Whether you call it superstition, or devine intervention or the power of prayer or even positive thinking or visualizing.....I believe.

• charles_von_hamm
    16 years ago

Absolutely unreal! People are either making a mockery of (and disrespecting, in my opinion) Catholicism, being overly superstitious and attributing eventualities to burying a statue or need to possibly consider the real estate market or their curb appeal.

Kits for these statues? Barnum was right, a sucker is born every minute!

- A Catholic

• scotslassie1959
    16 years ago

Okay, I'll admit to burying St Joseph in the yard after our previous home sat on the market for over 6 mos. with out much action. My MIL lent us a beautiful statue she brought over from Italy. We wrapped it in multiple layers of tissue and bubble wrap; then into a ziplock he went. I was so concerned that it would get damaged that after 6 weeks I had my DH dig him out of the cold,wet Michigan mud!
    He was not happy... DH not St.Joseph! We had NO response in the time St.Joseph resided in our yard.
    House eventually sold after finding the right buyer at a price which reflected the(at that time)current housing market.
    Good Luck!

• littlebug5
    16 years ago

Well, I'm not Catholic, but we're getting ready to list our house and I think I may bury a St. Joseph. I'll have to admit, though, the very idea of burying a religious icon has me squirming just a bit in my Presbyterian roots. It seems just a bit disrespectful to me.

Maybe we'll see how it goes, first, without him . . . . and if I do resort to burying him, I'll wrap him up real good first. Maybe I'll put him in a box.

littlebug5, hoping she doesn't have to buy a St. Joseph, but will if that's what it takes . . .

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I'm not burying St. Joseph. Doesn't seem right to me and I'm Catholic. If I believe in God, why do I need to bury poor St. Joseph to get a blessing? The bible teaches we shouldn't be idolizing statues anyway. The Catholics have it all wrong with that statue worship I think!!

My friend buried St. Joseph 9 months ago and now the house is in foreclosure. Explain that?

Now on the other hand, if I don't eat black eye peas and smothered cabbage on New Year's, I don't feel like I'm starting the New Year on the right foot. Not because I'm suspicious, but because it was drummed into my head for so many years that you ate these foods on New Year's day. Isn't that awful?

• herbivore
    16 years ago

The bible teaches we shouldn't be idolizing statues anyway. The Catholics have it all wrong with that statue worship I think!!

I'm Catholic too. You should know, as another Catholic, that we DON'T worship statues. Statues are just a reminder of a person. For example, when you have a picture of someone else, do you think it is actually that person?? Or just a reminder of them?

We don't pray TO statues. We pray that that saint will intercede on our behalf. There is a huge difference.

• bellamay
    16 years ago

Really.....I wonder how intelligent people can fall for this. I am a born again Christian and have an aversion to idolatry, and burying a plastic "Saint" is a clear case of it. I purchased a house that came with a caretaker who told me that the previous owner had instructed her to bury the statue. I can assure you she regrets the day that she buried that thing.....she has spent hours digging up the front yard trying to find it. She hasn't been successful but will have to keep trying because I want that thing out of my yard!!!

• herbivore
    16 years ago

I am a born again Christian and have an aversion to idolatry, and burying a plastic "Saint" is a clear case of it.

Read my post right above yours. Catholics do not practice idolatry. I know Catholics are not a born-again Christian's favorite group, but please open your mind and act like the "intelligent" person you wish others would be. Educate yourself on the simple fact that we do not "worship idols." Thanks.

• feedingfrenzy
    16 years ago

Bellamy

Why in the world would you make your caretaker go to all that work over something so harmless as a molded piece of plastic?

The "aversion" you claim to have to idolatry sounds more like fear to me. Why not just decide to ignore the whole silly business?

• claimsgirl61
    16 years ago

Buried him soon after listing. 8 months later...nothing! My sil told me about it so I gave it a try. Not a believer!

• susanjn
    16 years ago

We found poor St. Joseph buried in our flower bed after we moved into our current house - quite undignified for him if you ask me. I hope the previous owners don't think he made us magically appear.

• paintyliz
    15 years ago

I just had to join in - I have such an amazing experience with this that if anyone else told me I would not believe it. My ex and I had our house on the market with a realtor for 6 months - NO interest. We fired the realtor stuck a sign in our front yard. The next day - hubby (catholic) decided to bury St. Joseph. I thought 'only a Catholic would threaten saints' and laughed. AS HE WAS PUTTING THE SHOVEL AWAY - a man stopped his truck, asked if the house was for sale, wanted a house with a pool and no garage (seriously said this - and around here, everyone wants a garage because of hail) and BOUGHT THE HOUSE! Then when we moved, our neighbor owned the lot next to us and would NEVER sell - had great plans for the lot. We tried to convince her for about a year, and then stopped asking. About a year later, we noticed St. Joseph sitting there and thought, what the heck - buried him in the empty lot and A WEEK LATER her husband came over and offered to sell us the lot for a really good price, too . .. . so I'm a believer . .. but not sure what I'm believing, probably sold my soul to the devil LOL

• scdeb424
    15 years ago

We did this after 3 months of showings and no sale--it was Christmas time and I called a Christian book store to ask if they had a St Joseph statue--they said, "are you trying to sell a house?"

They didn't have a statue but suggested that we take Joseph from our Nativity set. Instead we bought an inexpensive set and put St Joseph in a ziploc bag. We couldn't bear to turn him upside down and we were uncertain as to which way to face him and which side of the lot to use.
    We have are finally under contract (1st one failed) and hope to dig him up soon and replace him in the box. We have a fairly unique property in a down market and think that it was worth a shot.

• Rachel Parker
    15 years ago

I just buried my St. Joseph and said a prayer. We are hoping to list our house this Thursday. Any prayers couldn't hurt. We buried St. Joseph at our last house and it took about a month for a solid offer to come it. I think it helps.

• disneyrsh
    15 years ago

Shoot, he worked for us the last time, looks like I'll have to do it again.

I actually think the fact that I found gardenweb and this forum at the same time that I buried poor ol' saint Joe was no coincidence.

• happy2bme
    15 years ago

It worked for me in a downspiraling miami market. Although I did not buy the kit. I asked my DH to purchase a St. joe statue at church on Sunday while I was home with one of our youngest girls. Unfortunatley, I did not tell him what I wanted the statue for. To my surprise he came home with the biggest statue the church offered for sale. Needless to say I did a lot of digging that night while my neighbors slept and couldnt see me out there.

• okhouse
    15 years ago

We buried St. Joseph in our yard when the sale of our house fell through at the very end of the escrow period - day 57 out of 60. We got an offer about three months later and escrow closed successfully. It is kind of funny that we went to dig him up after the new owners moved in (we first got their permission to do so) but couldn't find him! Perhaps he moved on to another successful house sale. We wouldn't have done this if St. Joseph hadn't been very inexpensive online!

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

I want to BUMP this thread up as it is a new year with new market conditions and want to hear new positive stories about St. Joseph working for new sellers in this current market. We just buried our new statue last night with the prayer. My children and I have been praying at each meal this prayer. It does state you need FAITH in this approach to work. Please post your success stories for 2009.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Okay......is the statue to be buried up-side down?....near the door, facing the door, or out by the "For Sale" sign?
    This is a most interesting thread....but whatever works in this market!!!! Guess I'll at least give it a try.

• gwent
    15 years ago

I did and our closing is scheduled for May. Never in my WILDEST dreams did I think I would do such a thing but everyone at work told me about St. Joseph so I went out and got a small one, buried him under the For Sale sign and 6 weeks later we accepted an offer on our house.(I feel funny cause I am not Catholic) and did not tell my husband until we were under contract. So, best wishes to others with houses on the market!

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

I don't know if I ever posted that I did get one last year. The thing was, it wasn't a real one, was more of a realtor "gift" to sellers; and after debating about it for a few weeks ended up putting it in a cabinet in the room with the front door. I had him facing the door, don't recall if he was standing straight up of his feet up; but yes we got offers; multiples. 1st was a low ball ($180ish on a $220) then a bidding war. I don't know if it was that or if we were the best in the neighborhood; and if my flier that said bring all offers made people try. My agent wasn't happy that I added that but we were almost desperate to sell.

I did repeat the prayer I found online.

• deserae
    15 years ago

Yes, I buried mine six months ago and my house is still on the market. We are lowering the price next week and listing with a new realtor so maybe I need to say the prayer again? Will this help...anyone know?

• phoggie
    15 years ago

What the heck?.....can't hurt. Is there "The" prayer that is supposed to be said? I need to give it a try when we list our house. THANKS

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm the OP and I did buy and bury one - it came with directions and a specific prayer to be read. Didn't work for us though, not really. We listed just at the moment the market started to turn downwards in our area. We ended up selling for a great price but it took two or three times as long as expected (based on previous market conditions). We made it out just in time, the housing market there is now dead.

If something like this would make you feel more hopeful then I'm all for it.

• onlygirlsmom
    15 years ago

We buried our St. Joseph in the front flower bed (the reason you're supposed to bury him upside down is so that his feet are closer to Heaven -or so I've heard) Nothing. Dug him up and put him on the windowsill in from of our kitchen sink-figured if the guy was going to deny us he needed to do it looking me in the eye :) Nothing. He was on a ledge and fell off about a month ago and his head snapped off. I'm pretty sure our house is now doomed :) Our house has been on the market since Sept. '07 -we're in the miserable market of Michigan.

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL You broke off his head? Uhm, yep, you're doomed! ;)

• littlebug5
    15 years ago

I buried him, but he's not doing his job. 12 months on the market and no offers. We have a unique home in a slow market . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The LA Times has a good article about this -

Burying a St. Joseph statuette by a house is supposed to speed up its sale. And more people are willing to try pretty much anything.

After three real estate agents, two price reductions and nearly a year with no offers on their town house in Las Vegas, George and Katherine Grodin turned to a higher power for help.

Link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: LA Times - Home sellers seek help from a saint

• divadeva
    15 years ago

We've used St. Joseph twice. The first time he was upside down...I felt bad about that, threatening a saint felt wrong. However, there was a bidding war for our house and we sold it at exactly the price I asked for.
    The second time I buried him right side up, without threats. It's been six months but we've had a great offer and we'll be in escrow tomorrow.
    The first time, I also used a "magnetic oil" that I found on the same web site (some New Orleans voodun site,very sweet people) and put it around the front door frame. Our buyers showed up within 3 days.
    So, yes I would use St. Joseph again...upside down and with threats. I figure that Catholicism has always contained a smidgeon of masochism, so who am I to deny him his fun?

• divadeva
    15 years ago

ps- Sorry, I meant to say martyrdom, not masochism. Freudian slip, certainly not Catholic bashing. Copious apologies from a Recovering Catholic, I didn't mean to offend.

• dreamywhite
    14 years ago

Well after burying the great guy we sold our home 2 weeks later only 39 DOM and got $1900 less than asking price and we were asking high for our area. We close at the end of May. BUT we prayed the prayer at every meal and even through in some extra prayers to Jesus a few times a day. The power of prayer works - it's all in his hands anyway.

• ilmbg
    14 years ago

Someone gave me a St. Joseph last year- and I forgot all about it until a couple weeks ago- found it in my glove box in the car, so I buried it the other day! My house has been off the market a few months and will be back on shortly. I didn't know about the prayer- NO WONDER it didn't sell-lol!! I better get with it!! All my fault that it didn't sell-he-he!!

• susie_que
    14 years ago

I purchased my St Joe many many months ago when I first listed my house. Its been blessed by a Catholic priest before hubster buried
    him.

I said the prayer before each showing as well as a novena in January with no luck.

Could have been our lack luster agent or the poor market but we too are re listed with a more aggressive company.
    Its been one week and we've had several showings, a weak offer and today is our first open house.
    (while watering the garden this am I taped the ground where he is buried to sort of wake him up LOL)

On another note...I was at a store recently and saw a candle with an image of St Jude. Its said that St Jude is the patron saint on lost causes so I bought it-it sits next to my St Joseph candle.

Hope the 2 of them can work together to get us out of here since we have found our new home-we need to go soon!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• divadeva
    14 years ago

We're in escrow, now, all cash...with 2 back-up offers.
    We are very happy with the selling price. This is the 4th property we've sold since the real estate collapse. All thanks to St. Joseph. We have had a property just sit for over 18 months...decide to do the St. Joseph miracle...sale! We're very grateful.

• divadeva
    14 years ago

PS- That last reference isn't about the previous property (April)being in escrow- that sold. But yet another, 100 acres with a house. 4th property sale since 2006, and the last one we had to sell.