Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spencerogden_gw

FSBO Aggreement with Buyers Agent

SpencerOgden
11 years ago

I'm in CT, and without my listing, an agent approached me to purchase a Condo I own. So now I am in a FSBO owner situation, and schedule to do a showing of the property this afternoon. The agent wants me to sign an agreement prior to showing which includes commission and offer price.

Am I right in thinking that there is no reason sign any documents with the agent before showing?

Thanks for any advice,

Spencer

Comments (7)

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Is the agent the buyer, or is the agent bringing a buyer? If the latter, then it's not likely they'll bring the buyer unless you agree to pay them a commission for it. 3% is standard. But read their proposed agreement carefully and make sure it's a one-time showing agreement and you're not agreeing to pay them commission on anything but that one buyer, should they purchase.

If the agent is the buyer, then I wouldn't agree to a commission. That would be weird: paying someone a commission to buy a house from you??

I don't understand what you said about the agreement having an offer price.

• SpencerOgden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The agent is bringing a buyer, but we would be discussing the agreement minutes before the showing, so I don't think she would wave off the buyer.

She stated the agreement would have the asking price included.

I'm not worried about losing the buyer, so I don't think I will sign anything.

• Tony2Toes
    11 years ago

I did a FSBO just one time and had a buyer show up demanding an immediate 3% discount just because he had the courtesy to not use his own buyers agent. I just laughed at him and told him while I'd entertain an offer, there was no discount offered just because he was unaccompanied by an agent.

You'll encounter all kinds.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Why aren't you worried about losing a buyer? Isn't a buyer what you are looking for? It sounds like the agent is trying to protect her commission in the event her buyer wants to make an offer. It would prevent the buyer from coming to you directlyor you calling the buyer directly. I personally wouldn't bring the buyer without the signature. If you understand what you are signing and agree to pay the commission if this buyer makes an offer , there is no reason not to sign unless you have bad intentions

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

If you choose not to sign, the agent will most likely choose to not bring the buyer.

• LOTO
    11 years ago

There is no "standard" real estate commission...if so this would violate the Sherman Anti-Trust Law.There is no fixed rate of commission as a seller or a buyer in any state. They are completely negotiable.
    I would assume that the form which the Realtor is wanting you to sign is similar to the one I have included below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Authorization To Show

This post was edited by LOTO on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 10:16

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

Realtors, & Buyers, do this all the time.

Although the Realtor likely has a Buyer Rep Agreement stating that (s)he works for the Buyer, it's a good idea to be sure that everybody recognizes, understands, & agrees that the contract offer will include the Realtor's commission to be paid from Seller's proceeds of sale.