Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wagnerpe

11 year old kitchen - Spruce it up or leave alone

wagnerpe
11 years ago

Our kitchen was redone by previous owners 11 years ago. We have done nothing to it other than replace the refrigerator because that had to be done.

The counters (Corian) and backsplash really date the kitchen as most non original kitchens around here have granite.

Do you think an 11 year old kitchen is at the point of - leave it alone and let a new owner do what she wants to it or would it be financially worthwhile to invest a reasonable sum of money into it to make it look newer?

Comments (84)

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I would look at it this way, what will you be looking for when house hunting in a kitchen?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" I would adjust down the price accordingly, compared to the similar competition."

Wants are not needs for first time buyers.

What is the competition like?

Making an open kitchen in the space you appear to have would be a VERY costly modification, and might even involve combining rooms and structural modifications.

Anyone buying a 'starter' home (or first home) and thinking it must meet ALL their needs is a fool, at best.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 13:54

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

To clarify: The academic question I was referring to was whether people like the layout or not because that's certainly something I wouldn't even consider changing.

I also think that it won't cost you 10K to update the kitchen. You have the high cabinets, you have two sinks, you have SS appliances --- all that's missing is the granite and the backsplash (maybe the glass tiles that are popular these days although your style kitchen would go better with subway tiles.
    Hardwood would be great, but I probably wouldn't spend 4.5K on that. Perhaps see if you could do it for less, especially if you say that you may need new carpet.

As has been said on other threads: Most people see granite and SS and think it's "upscale" and up-to-date.

Get cool inexpensive pendants for over the sinks.

Here is a link that might be useful: pendants

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Is there anything under that desk at the end? I wonder if anybody on the home decorating forum could come up with a cool suggestion. I can only think of a wine fridge or maybe some kind of cubby storage near the backdoor, or set it up as command central.

Also, look at IKEA kitchens for styling and kitchen accessories ideas (or Pottery Barn).

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

Brickeyee,
    This is not a starter home at all... the competition the OP posted are between $439,000 and $469,000.
    The OP posted pictures of the competition, and they are all open plan kitchens.
    I stand by ny thinking that the kitchen will have to be adjusted when it comes time to pricing the home. Not because of the lack of granite and/or a backsplash but because of the floorplan. Something that buyers can not change easily if at all, like they could the granite and the backsplash.

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

I think it looks fine the way it is. Before you spend any money changing the countertops talk to some realtors about it.

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know why I feel the need to argue with you nc, but your statements are such blanket statements and I don't think they apply. I would consider this a starter house. At least a starter house to get your foot into the school district. That's what it was for us; we had a condo, but this is our first actual house.

Like brickeye said, as first time house buyers, we had a list of wants including an updated eat in kitchen. We couldn't get both updated and eat in, so we opted for updated, but not eat in.

I also don't know why you keep saying the kitchens are open concept; they aren't. The first open concept kitchen is the 599,000 one. The others are more square, but they still have doorways to the rest of the house, not open to the family room like the more expensive houses. I would say you could get a nice open concept kitchen starting at about 600,000 - that's pretty fair; some of the more expensive houses still don't have open concept kitchens, but you could get one at that price point.

All the current listings are (within the grade school district, about 1 sq mile radius).:
    215,000: 3BR 1BA 1,336 sq ft
    324,000: 4BR 1BA 1,500 sq ft
    389,000: 3BR 2BA 2,196 sq. ft
    410,000: 4BR 2BA 2,024 sq ft
    449,000: 4BR 2BA no sq ft provided
    459,000: 4BR 3BA 2,152 sq ft
    469,000: 3BR 3BA 1,992 sq ft
    599,000: 4BR 3BA 2,314 sq ft
    609,900: 5BR 5BA 3,171 sq ft
    619,900: 5BR 2.5BA 3,051 sq ft
    699.900: 3BR 4.5BA 2,997 sq ft
    729,900: 4BR 4.5BA 3,123 sq ft
    797,000: 4BR 3.5BA 3,275 sq ft
    835,000: 4BR 3.5BA 3,225 sq ft
    895,000: 5BR 3.5BA 4,264 sq ft
    899,900: 4BR 5BA 3,794 sq ft
    899,900: 4BR 3.5BA 3,000 sq ft
    929,900 5BR 3.5BA 3,000 sq ft
    949,500 4BR 3.5BA 3,000 sq ft
    971,900 4BR 3.5BA 3,200 sq ft
    1,199,000 5BR 4.5 BA 4,600 sq ft
    1,400,000 6BR 5.5BA 6,000 sq ft
    1,699,000 5BA 4.5 BA 6,000 sq ft

Avg stats: 729,900 4.2BR 3.3BA 3,103 sq ft

My house is 4BR (but one BR is really more of an office), 3BA 2,150 sq ft with a finished basement and appraised at 474,000 in September, 2012 - so I actually would call it a starter house as compared to what's out there.

• HelenBack
    11 years ago

Mamattorney, you are getting good input from many people, including real estate professionals, and I'm sure you will give that advice proper weight. I just want to interject that you can posit your house will appeal to a certain demographic and devise your marketing plan accordingly, but you have no idea into what category your actual buyer will fall.

We're recent empty nesters looking for a house due to an unforeseen employment opportunity. One of our criteria is that the new property be located in an excellent school district to enhance potential resale and, just maybe, long-term appreciation. We want three or four bedrooms, as we have a college student not yet launched, as well as adult children with significant others we'd love to have visit whenever possible, perhaps in due time with grandchildren in tow. :-) So, I'd be looking at your house if I were moving to your area.

Either you or your future buyer can change out the counters and/or backsplash or update the cabinet pulls fairly easily. The two existing sinks centered on windows are a wonderful feature that would cost a boatload of money to add in. I am amazed at the number of *upgraded* kitchens I see that are an L-shaped run of cabinets with the requisite island, no matter how vestigial and useless it may be. I rarely see two sinks, and that's what's needed in a household with growing, increasingly independent kids or just where husband and wife tend to futz around in the kitchen at the same time fixing their own breakfasts.

So, yes, I'm an idiosyncratic buyer, but maybe not all that unique. Lots of the advice you are getting is directed how to make it universally appealing -- are you in a hurry to sell, or can you wait for a buyer who appreciates what you have?

I'll also add that I had an almost identical (but single-sink) kitchen when our first two were in the infant and toddler stage. They'd sit and play, either in high chair or playpen or just on the floor, at either end of the kitchen and were never underfoot but enjoyably nearby. Good times!

Helen

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Looking at the number of bathrooms and square footage, it looks like these are your closest in comparison:
    459,000: 4BR 3BA 2,152 sq ft
    469,000: 3BR 3BA 1,992 sq ft
    599,000: 4BR 3BA 2,314 sq ft

Either way, it sounds like you are at the top end of your "price group," so you need to see what would distinguish you in a positive way from these houses.

Because your kitchen layout may not be "ideal", I think it would be a good move to try to have the finishes as much as possible to the 599K kitchen, so people will associate your kitchen and house with more upscale and updated.

What are the bathrooms like compared to your comparables? Floors? Light fixtures? Lot?

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

OP- it's just fine.

Ive seen houses where they were going after "updated and upscale, " but in a kind of ticky-tacky way, Who were they fooling really? You can't really do a complete gut and re-do - is it really worth the $$$ to do a cosmetic job or chase after an illusion of being more up to the minute?

I think you just don't want a kitchen that is a real obvious time warp - like that first kitchen in your line up above (the $410,000). That one screams 1980s! Yours is not that - the green walls and natural colors while not super-exciting are contemporary enough IMHO

• Tony2Toes
    10 years ago

Unless its a complete re-hab, I've always found kitchen remodels done JUST to sell a house always end up looking exactly like that.....updates done JUST to sell the house. Meaning half done, limited effort/expense. And they almost never return the value invested back to the seller.

Exceptions:
    -Broken and/or unsightly appliances
    -Damaged and/or unsightly countertops and cabinetry
    -Damaged and/or unsightly backsplash and/or fixtures

I believe its entirely up to the buyer's eye...and that SPECIFIC buyer....as to whether or not your idea of upgrades matches their ideal kitchen look/feel.

My suggestion...leave it alone. Your kitchen looks fine. Offer a remodel allowance as a negotiating tactic or flat out lower your price for the same amount you'd consider investing in the upgrade in the first place.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I would leave it - it appears to be in very good repair and not terribly dated in terms of style. The floor plan can't be changed, so there is no point in messing with perfectly good and not-cheap surfaces and fixtures.

My suggestions are:

- Remove all the clutter and remove EVERYTHING from the fridge!! The clutter such as baskets of mail, cell hone charger etc makes the kitchen look like a pass-through dumping area.
    - consider changing the paint color from the green to a warm white or cream, it will open it up a bit more and I personally don't like the green with the cabinet color much, it makes them look more orange than they would with white.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Definitely de-clutter the kitchen.

get as much stuff off the counters as possible.

It helps the room look larger.

What is the average days on market in your area for your price range?
    You can always lower the price more if you want a quick sale.

Buyers love bargains.

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had a realtor I have been talking to do an initial walk through for her thoughts on pricing and on what if any cosmetic improvements should be done before we list.

She recommended leaving the kitchen alone with the exception of possibly changing out the over the sink lights. I have to change the dining room fixture and she said that it may make things look more cohesive if the kitchen and the dining room fixtures complemented each other.

Basically she didn't think anything I would do to the kitchen would warrant increasing the listing price, but there were some things that absolutely needed to be done throughout the house to not have to reduce the price, including replacing the carpet in the LR/DR (I knew that had to be done), painting the first floor (again, I knew this).

We've hooked up with a moving service that will take all our excess things now and store them, delivering them to our new house all in one move when the time comes. We've got a ton of things to temporarily send to storage and lots of work ahead of us. I'm hoping to list not later than June1, but we'll see.

The good news is the realtor thinks the house, even with its unusual floor plan (the kitchen, obviously, but also the BR are not all on the same floor) will sell quickly, so long as we price it realistically. Houses in the 400-750,000 are selling really quickly. So long as we can grab the families who want to be in their new house for the start of school, we should be OK.

Because we have three young kids and a dog, even though we don't NEED a quick sale, I want a quick sale. Just the thought of keeping a family house ready for showing at a moment's notice especially when everyone is home for the summer, eating three meals a day in the house and otherwise messing things up all day long is enough to make me want to list the house $25,000 below where the realtor wants to price it to get it done.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, it sounds like your realtor gave you good advice, limiting the work that needs to be done. New fixtures over the sink should be relatively easy and inexpensive and will make a ton of difference. Just make sure to paint the ceiling before replacing.
    Did you figure out whether hardwood in the LR/DR may be a realistic option or just go with carpet?
    Best of luck for a quick sale!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

Your realtor has given you good advice. I would do very little draping for the dining room window (if any) so that the light will come into the kitchen and make the space seem more expansive when you can see out that window from the kitchen.

Some people do not care for green, though I know that is a currently favorite color, so I would go for a more neutral, light paint job in the kitchen, again to open it up.

I think to show the house, I would have out on the counters only the knife block and maybe a bowl of lemons or green apples.

I have noticed that if you furnish or accessorize a house that is for sale with a minimum of things, the rooms look more spacious. Go for the look that the room is so spare that it could use something else--then you are there. You are not placing furniture or accessories to live in it, just to show the space as being generous and good scale.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

If the paint is in good shape, I wouldn't repaint. If you do, pick one of the neutral Pottery Barn colors.
    And yes, keep the windows as uncovered as possible. Minimal drapes, pulled all the way to the side, no fussy valances.

Also, check out the Young House Love site for quick and inexpensive decorating "fixes."

Here is a link that might be useful: Young House Love site

• newbuyer2007
    10 years ago

Sounds like you got really good advice from the realtor. Good luck for a quick sale!

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE -

I got a call from the realtor (I'll call her A) this morning. She was chatting/networking with another agent (let's call her B) who was complaining about the lack of inventory in the $500,000 range in the neighborhood. B was saying that she had a couple of buyers that had looked at what was out there (you'll note there's nothing between 469,000 and 599,000) and couldn't afford the 600,000 house, but were looking for more than was available in the mid 400,000's.

Realtor A mentioned that she had looked at our house and that she expected to have a listing around 525,000 and be listed by June1. (I'd probably list it at $500,000, but that's besides the point)

Realtor B asked A a bunch of questions about our house and to make a long story short, after speaking with her client, Realtor B asked Realtor A if we would consider showing the house to her clients as it sounds like a good fit - galley kitchen and all.

They are qualified buyers who have sold their previous house (transferred) and are living in temporary corporate housing.

Obviously I would sign a listing agreement with A, but I'm nervous about showing the house because it's not ready for sale, not even close. We haven't done a thing to it yet.

It's like agreeing to meet a date without any advance warning and showing up with a winning personality, but wearing a T shirt and yoga pants. Will they be able to look past the yoga pants when their other dates (that they've rejected) have been primped and polished?

I guess, what's the harm, right? If they are in temp housing, they are probably going to buy something before June 1 and they won't be in our buying pool, anyway.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, if the house will be listed at 525K, but you'd be happy with 500K, you may as well have them take a quick look. I'd say it also depend sin what overall shape your house is.
    You may get some useful feedback, and who knows, maybe they'll make an offer that suits you, which would mean that you can skip the planned updates and cleaning out, not to mention peace of mind.

As you say if there's nothing else in that price range, they may want to wait. At least it confirms that there's definitely a buyer out there who's looking for a place in that price range.
    Best of luck!

• Tony2Toes
    10 years ago

I'd show it, as is. Worst case scenario is you'll get feedback that helps you better position the home for sale when you finally do list it.

I have bought a house that wasn't even on the MLS before...just had a good buyers' agent doing some specific neighborhood marketing on my behalf. Your scenario sounds like Realtor B is a very good Buyers agent. You never know....they may take one look at your house and say "Don't spend a penny on fixing it up, take this offer instead" and the offer is exactly what you wanted in the first place.

Good luck!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Me, too, I bought a house before the seller could start doing improvements that I didn't particularly like, e.g. replace the carpet and repaint.
    Keep us posted :)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I think I'd spend some time on making it sparkling clean, but then nothing else. You have nothing to loose beyond that, but sparkling clean is imho important for creating a good feeling about a house.

• jimandanne_mi
    10 years ago

When I was renting a house, the people were remodeling it and didn't want to show it to me yet. I finally convinced them that time was running out for me to make a decision (even tho I didn't need to be in the house yet), and that I could see past the gutted kitchen and nothing on the floors. All I needed was closet space, 3 BRs, their garage space and a DRY house with an ok to store boxes & furniture in the empty BRs. I didn't want a house that looked new. They let me see it and we signed the contract.

When we were at the closing for my condo, I asked the buyer what made her buy it (we'd done TONS of remodeling, staging, and cleaning), and she said, "It was CLEAN!"

Anne

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK - showing is set for 10:00 on Saturday. The Wife wanted to come out tomorrow (Thurs), but that's too quick and the Husband is out of town until late Friday anyway - I do need a couple of days to get it sparkling.

Luckily I hosted Easter and got the house "in-law" clean for Sunday. In my dictionary, that not quite "house on the market" clean, but it's 75% of the way there. My hands may be red and chapped by Saturday morning, but I can do it!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

If you have the time do some decluttering too - even if it means putting a bunch of stuff in boxes and store them in the basement. Just so closet space looks larger and reduce the stuff for the potential buyers to look past. Might go quick to remove. Probably not so much in putting it back.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

The problem with house selling is that you can't just hide everything in the closets, so getting a head start on decluttering is a great suggestion.

Is there a way you can get rid of the top of the breakfront to uncover the window behind it? It would make it not only brighter but also not make it obvious that there's no space for a china cabinet.

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, yes. I have already talked to my next door neighbor - she's offered me her house as a holding place for extra clutter for Saturday. I've already moved all the winter gear (skis, skates, boots, clothes) and the golf clubs over to their house because it was quick and takes up a ton of room in the closets. As much as possible, I'm just going to box extra stuff up so that it's in a condition to be taken by the moving company for temporary storage after Saturday, but some things will just have to go over next door piecemeal and get packed up another time. I've charged the kids to create a donation pile for toys, so I can drop those off to Goodwill on Friday and not pack them at all.

Great idea on the breakfront. I may as well pack up the china cabinet in its entirety - I definitely won't need it for now. I'll get the guys to move the breakfront next door. I won't be able to keep it there, but it can stay in their garage for a day. I have such great neighbors - it's a good thing we're only looking to move within the neighborhood.

Ahh . . . I'm trying not to get too stressed - it's just a showing, it's just a showing . . .

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Good luck! We sold several houses moving around for post grad training programs when our kids were young, and it's undeniably stressful. Our last home we sold on a one day listing agreement with a realtor who had ready buyers who couldn't find what they were looking for. I was nervous because we hadn't gotten it ready to sell--- but they made an offer and we closed in 30 days. I don't even remember that month, thankfully! Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Btw, I do not like the current open concept kitchens. I don't want everyone in the kitchen at once unless we're eating. The kitchen/family rooms remind me of those vacation condos that provide far too much "togetherness." I think they also place way too much emphasis on eating as the main family activity. I'd love your galley kitchen :-)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Your neighbors sound like saints. Best of luck!

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Good luck - this could work out very well for all involved!

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

I have gone as far as renting a storage locker to empty things into.

Once a viking stove and hood, and an expensive crystal chandelier with a real 24+ inch plaster medallion.

The house sold in one day with a brand new stove, chandelier, and medallion.
    And a newly painted dining room ceiling (had to hide the 'shadow' from the medallion).

The buyer never new what used to be there.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Good Luck tomorrow!

• pcweary
    10 years ago

I am reading your thread at 9:40 Sat. morning and find myself thinking about you and your showing shortly. Hopefully it will be productive but let us know
    how it went.

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not much to update right now. I'm exhausted, the house is shining, the showing took place. All I know is that now I KNOW I want a quick sale. If anything comes of it or I get any feedback about the kitchen in particular, I'll post.

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm a bit exasperated right now. They want to look at it again. I know that's a good thing - but my house is not supposed to be on the market!

My realtor called and said that they really liked it (I didn't get any other feedback), but they were concerned about our cats because the Wife has severe cat allergies. At first I was puzzled because our cat died in 2010 and then I realized that we have a cat door built into the laundry room door which was where we used to keep the cat box. When they realized that there has not been any cat dander in the house for three years, and the carpets have been cleaned three or four times since then, it made them look at the house in a different light.

I'm just guessing, but I wonder if they were thinking that they would have to change all the "soft" surfaces before they even moved in to protect her from dander. Our entire 2nd floor, finished basement and LR/DR are carpet, plus we have some drapery treatments. That's a lot of work just to make a place healthy for someone to live in.

So . . . they are coming back tonight. Luckily, the entire family was scheduled to leave anyway at 6:00 for a grade school play my son is in, and we will be gone until probably 8:30 after the requisite celebratory trip to the ice cream parlor.

The dog came with us this morning, but she can't wait in the car for 2 hours, so she'll just have to head over to the neighbors' for a couple of hours. She'll probably feel right at home over there since her dog bed, toys and what feels like half our house is already over there!

• function_first
    10 years ago

Hope it leads to a quick and seamless sale. Seems like a good sign that they want to come back so quickly, sounds serious.

• deegw
    10 years ago

Good luck with your second showing.

If you need to get the house ready for sale, I would first try to "update" with a much lighter paint color on the walls. Right now the eye stops at the green and reinforces the galley feel. If you had a color that blended better with the rest of the kitchen, the eye would move around a bit and give the illusion of more spaciousness.

I would also add a pretty, modern print rug runner. The Dash and Albert website has some great, reasonably priced rugs. You can also check out Ballard.

I can't see what you have on the windows right now but they could be another opportunity to add an updated touch.

Definitely clear off the counters and the fridge and see if you can up the wattage in the light bulbs too.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by deee on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 16:32

• newbuyer2007
    10 years ago

Even if these people don't buy your house, it has been valuable because you have learned something. You need to replace the laundry room door so that others don't think you have pets.

Of course, you might get lucky and have these people buy your hosue! Good luck.

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Yes, I have definitely learned a lot, including the laundry room door. I think this "crash course" has been a great guideline in getting the house ready for real.

Deee, I love those fabrics and great ideas everyone on the paint. Basically the entire first floor needs paint; and the kitchen has so little wall space that it won't be much more time if we do it ourselves or cost if we contract it out. I like the green, but a lighter color would probably show better.

All I heard after the second showing was that the buyers were giving it serious consideration. Clearly they know no one else is looking at the house, so the only rush to make an offer would be their desire to get out of temp housing. I am going to ask my realtor to feel them out more though because I would like to start the process of prepping the house for actual sale and shopping for carpet, painters, etc.

My gut says they would have made an offer by now, but it would absolutely kill me to order two rooms of carpet and then have them make an offer. I guess that can wait a little anyway.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

If your agent has not gotten back to you any meaningful feedback yet, you need to ask her why... after all, the showing agent works in the same office.

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nc - you are 100% right. I'm calling right now.

• StellaMarie
    10 years ago

Good luck! I'm following this with interest and am hoping you are able to get it sold to these buyers quickly! :)

• wagnerpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great News! We received an offer yesterday! We played the game and countered, they came back and we have a signed contract for $510,000. Onto appraisals and inspections and hopefully house hunting for us! I know we're not out of the woods yet, but we're having a bottle of wine with dinner tonight!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, great news! Congratulations! You must be relieved not to have to keep the house ready for showings at a moment's notice. Best of luck with your house hunt.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Hope all goes smoothly from now on, including your next purchase.

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

What an exciting thread for a Saturday morning read! Mamattorney, please come back and fill in the details about the rest of the process as it happens. I really would enjoy seeing which of those houses you end up buying, too. Have you had your eye on any in particular?

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

What an exciting thread for a Saturday morning read! Mamattorney, please come back and fill in the details about the rest of the process as it happens. I really would enjoy seeing which of those houses you end up buying, too. Have you had your eye on any in particular?

• function_first
    10 years ago

I love a happy ending, congrats!

• newbuyer2007
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I hope your closing goes off without a hitch.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz