Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting vs. Staining stairs

Posted by anngramuglia (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 11:06

Hi all,
We're prepping our second floor condo for sale, and pulled up the rug on the stairs to find out that the stairs are oak.

We really want to get this place on the market ASAP, and are not all that handy to begin with.

I'm leaning towards painting the stairs (risers cream to match woodwork, treads a dark brown to match the cork flooring in the living area at the top of the stairs.

Do you think this is a mistake? Would the impact of newly stained stairs outweigh what a major effort involved versus painting? The staircase is the first thing you see when you walk in the door into the small, nicely tiled foyer. So what we do with it matters quite a bit.

Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting vs. Staining stairs

Personally, I'd go the extra mile and stain them. I think it would be worth the effort.

o

And think of the new potential buyers looking at cream paint and thinking how fast it'll get dirty!

o

It's easier to stain than it is to do a good job painting stairs. Oak in many folks mines means long lasting, you'd be foolish to hide it behind paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here