Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dscpate

wanting to move this summer, when would you put house on market?

dscpate
14 years ago

We would love to move in July/August to another state. When would you put a house on the market? Now? In April to try to get the last minute tax credit buyers? Just wondering if there is a good time frame now a days or is it all up in the air?

Comments (10)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

NOW!

• gwent
    14 years ago

NOW is right! Talk to a realtor ASAP. We put ours on the market last winter in January - not usually prime time- but there was nothing in our town at our price point and our realtor advised us to get it on the market as soon as we could as there were people out there looking for houses in our price range. Don't wait- get on it and good luck!

• qdwag
    14 years ago

What is the "average days on the market" for homes in your area? My guess is it is fairly long, so don't waste another day, get it on the market ASAP

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

NOW and make sure your agent has your home showing it's very best on the computer. LOTS of folks these days use what they see on the computer to help them decide where and what they want to see.
    You only get one chance to make a good impression.

• lesterd
    14 years ago

I'd have put my home on the market last year if I wanted to move this summer:)

• stapleface
    14 years ago

I would agree with the others in that the sooner it is on the market, the better. How is the paint inside the house? If you have any non traditional colors, you may want to take a weekend and make it more neutral. Anything you can do to tidy up the place will go a long way, in my opinion. Also, since you don't need to sell now, you could try and list it above your asking price, and as time comes closer to when you want to move, reduce the price if it hasn't sold.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Also, since you don't need to sell now, you could try and list it above your asking price, and as time comes closer to when you want to move, reduce the price if it hasn't sold

Sorry, but I feel that this is bad advice. Homes that are overpriced at the beginning often end up selling for less than they would if they were priced right to begin with. The longer a home sits the the market the more potential buyers think that there might be something wrong with it.

• mdfacc
    14 years ago

I'm a buyer. If a house is on the market a long time I presume there is something wrong with it; the asking price is too high.

The FHA sponsors 30% to 40% of the mortgage market now, and it has tightened its lending standards this year (albeit modestly). The Federal Reserve will stop buying morgage-backed securities and Fannie/Freddie debt 3/31/10, and the tax credit will expire 30 days later.

For these reasons and others, I think volume will collapse this summer, and prices will follow. Put it on the market ASAP and price it to sell.

• calliope
    14 years ago

I agree.

• booboo60
    14 years ago

Do your homework and get a good realtor that knows the 'average days on market' in your area, comps in your area so that you price it correctly, and de-clutter and stage your home!! Dh and I put our house up for sale the end of March last year and it sold the end of July. We had to come down quite a bit in our price but it was during the economic 'downslide'....scary times!!