Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Superstition or not?

Posted by teched (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 10:44

So, how many of you have buried a statue of St Joesph? I've sold two houses before and not heard of this. Your experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Superstition or not?

I never have done it myself, but...

I once had a listing for a beautiful little cottage-style home that was vastly over-improved; 3-level deck, hot tub, upgraded flooring, etc.

It was in a small, tightly-knit community where nobody ever moved out if they could help it.

Seller priced it somewhat over the top of the market & we expected a hard time.

Within about 2 weeks, I wrote a contract, seller countered, buyer (husband) rejected.

Just at that time, another agent wrote a contract & seller accepted.

My buyer came back & told me he was in big trouble with his wife;
she had grown up in that neighborhood & wanted to live there & told him that a very few thousand dollars was absolutely not an acceptable reason for her to not be able to raise her son where she had grown up.

We wrote a backup offer that was higher than the existing one, although I warned my couple that the other buyers were extremely well-qualified & eager.

The other buyers got transferred out of state & terminated their contract.

My buyers closed on the house.

About 2 weeks later, the seller called me-
would I please tell the buyers to "dig up St Joseph", as she had forgotten to dig him up & take him with her.

o

Superstition or not?

Seriously?

o

Well, as far as I am concerned....

IF you venerate Saint Joseph, you would never do anything so sacrilegious. Borders on superstition and idolatry.

If you don't venerate Saint Joseph, why would you think he'd intercede for you?

o

I had one; not sure who gave it to me but it was one packaged for agents to sell houses. I threw it in a drawer & didn't give it another thought. After 9 months on the market one of the St Joseph threads was bumped & I remembered the one I had & decided to do something with it. Since it wasn't what I'd consider a real one; I read the directions which said to recite the prayer; then bury it a certain way. The ground was frozen so I decided to leave it in the house but followed the directions other wise & within a week we started getting showings & an offer within the next few weeks.

I don't know if it was due to the statue or it being the start of the market in my area but my house sold & I would do it again.

o
by the way...

I placed him in a cabinet in the room with the front door; that was my version of burying it lol

o

My agent buried it in my front yard. I refused to have anything to do with it, told her I am not a religious person and it was nonsense.

She proceeded to bury it with help from my neighbor (I wasn't home). They said the prayer.

Accepted an offer a month later. Did it have anything to do with the statue? I don't think so, my Realtor and neighbor think it did.

I sold the house and its still buried in the front yard.

Jane

o

It worked for a friend that had home on market for over a year. Got a contract within weeks of getting a St Joseph statue.

Also a coworker who had trouble selling decided to give it a shot after several months and not mich action, and got 2 offers within a week or two and sold it.

o

Oh no! Not the bury St. Joseph mumbo-jumbo thread again...

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Joseph on GardenWeb

o

Ok, now tell me all about St.Joseph statue. My house is in the market and I would like to sell it as soon as possible. Where can I buy this statue?

Thanks in Advance.
Anna

o

Anna-
If you click on the link I provided right above your post, you can read all you might ever want to know about this superstition. You would probably get similar results if you buried a statue of Bozo the Clown in your yard. People continue to want to believe that magic will intervene in their world and confuse correlation with causation. But don't let me discourage you...if enough people buy St. Joseph statues, maybe it will stimulate the economy and more people will make offers on homes.

o

Definition - Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge.

Burying a statue of a saint in the hope that it will help you sell your house is a textbook superstition.

o

Oh my goodness, I completely forget about St. Joseph! I buried him in the yard of the last four houses I sold and it worked. They sold fast, for the right money, under adverse conditions. This house has been taking too long to sell. That's why! I forgot St. Joseph!

I'm not religious but it's fun. And what does it hurt?

Funny, I also forgot the statues every time I moved. Can you imagine all the St. Joseph statues buried in yards all across the country?

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Mountain Lake Horse Property

o

I did get one yesterday. I did not bury him instead placed idol in the front window facing outside.

There was no instructions to bury him. In case I decide to bury him this weekend----not sure which position??? Give me some feedbacks on burying him please.

I would do anything legal to sell my home--it would not hurt anyone--or would it?

Anna

o

Maybe you could be struck by lightning if you do it wrong...

o

"There was no instructions to bury him. In case I decide to bury him this weekend----not sure which position??? Give me some feedbacks on burying him please. "

Definitely bury him face up. Otherwise, he'll get confused about the direction and will end up selling someones house in china.

o

That's funny, I was reading reviews regarding the statue. One review said that the statue was buried upside down facing the home across the street. And that home was sold within a week or so instead of the home that was for sale!!

Both kudzu9 and bill response is very funny:) See, who said home selling is stressful especially with no Realtor and members like youself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here