Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teched_gw

Superstition or not?

teched
13 years ago

So, how many of you have buried a statue of St Joesph? I've sold two houses before and not heard of this. Your experiences?

Comments (21)

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I never have done it myself, but...

I once had a listing for a beautiful little cottage-style home that was vastly over-improved; 3-level deck, hot tub, upgraded flooring, etc.

It was in a small, tightly-knit community where nobody ever moved out if they could help it.

Seller priced it somewhat over the top of the market & we expected a hard time.

Within about 2 weeks, I wrote a contract, seller countered, buyer (husband) rejected.

Just at that time, another agent wrote a contract & seller accepted.

My buyer came back & told me he was in big trouble with his wife;
    she had grown up in that neighborhood & wanted to live there & told him that a very few thousand dollars was absolutely not an acceptable reason for her to not be able to raise her son where she had grown up.

We wrote a backup offer that was higher than the existing one, although I warned my couple that the other buyers were extremely well-qualified & eager.

The other buyers got transferred out of state & terminated their contract.

My buyers closed on the house.

About 2 weeks later, the seller called me-
    would I please tell the buyers to "dig up St Joseph", as she had forgotten to dig him up & take him with her.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Superstition or not?

Seriously?

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

I had one; not sure who gave it to me but it was one packaged for agents to sell houses. I threw it in a drawer & didn't give it another thought. After 9 months on the market one of the St Joseph threads was bumped & I remembered the one I had & decided to do something with it. Since it wasn't what I'd consider a real one; I read the directions which said to recite the prayer; then bury it a certain way. The ground was frozen so I decided to leave it in the house but followed the directions other wise & within a week we started getting showings & an offer within the next few weeks.

I don't know if it was due to the statue or it being the start of the market in my area but my house sold & I would do it again.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

I placed him in a cabinet in the room with the front door; that was my version of burying it lol

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

My agent buried it in my front yard. I refused to have anything to do with it, told her I am not a religious person and it was nonsense.

She proceeded to bury it with help from my neighbor (I wasn't home). They said the prayer.

Accepted an offer a month later. Did it have anything to do with the statue? I don't think so, my Realtor and neighbor think it did.

I sold the house and its still buried in the front yard.

Jane

• sweet_tea
    13 years ago

It worked for a friend that had home on market for over a year. Got a contract within weeks of getting a St Joseph statue.

Also a coworker who had trouble selling decided to give it a shot after several months and not mich action, and got 2 offers within a week or two and sold it.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Oh no! Not the bury St. Joseph mumbo-jumbo thread again...

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Joseph on GardenWeb

• aaaaaaaa
    13 years ago

Ok, now tell me all about St.Joseph statue. My house is in the market and I would like to sell it as soon as possible. Where can I buy this statue?

Thanks in Advance.
    Anna

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Anna-
    If you click on the link I provided right above your post, you can read all you might ever want to know about this superstition. You would probably get similar results if you buried a statue of Bozo the Clown in your yard. People continue to want to believe that magic will intervene in their world and confuse correlation with causation. But don't let me discourage you...if enough people buy St. Joseph statues, maybe it will stimulate the economy and more people will make offers on homes.

• Billl
    13 years ago

Definition - Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge.

Burying a statue of a saint in the hope that it will help you sell your house is a textbook superstition.

• LoveInTheHouse
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, I completely forget about St. Joseph! I buried him in the yard of the last four houses I sold and it worked. They sold fast, for the right money, under adverse conditions. This house has been taking too long to sell. That's why! I forgot St. Joseph!

I'm not religious but it's fun. And what does it hurt?

Funny, I also forgot the statues every time I moved. Can you imagine all the St. Joseph statues buried in yards all across the country?

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Mountain Lake Horse Property

• aaaaaaaa
    13 years ago

I did get one yesterday. I did not bury him instead placed idol in the front window facing outside.

There was no instructions to bury him. In case I decide to bury him this weekend----not sure which position??? Give me some feedbacks on burying him please.

I would do anything legal to sell my home--it would not hurt anyone--or would it?

Anna

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Maybe you could be struck by lightning if you do it wrong...

• Billl
    13 years ago

"There was no instructions to bury him. In case I decide to bury him this weekend----not sure which position??? Give me some feedbacks on burying him please. "

Definitely bury him face up. Otherwise, he'll get confused about the direction and will end up selling someones house in china.

• aaaaaaaa
    13 years ago

That's funny, I was reading reviews regarding the statue. One review said that the statue was buried upside down facing the home across the street. And that home was sold within a week or so instead of the home that was for sale!!

Both kudzu9 and bill response is very funny:) See, who said home selling is stressful especially with no Realtor and members like youself.

• Michael Kimmel
    7 years ago

So many people decrying the St. Joseph issue as superstition, nonsense, mumbo-jumbo, etc. If a medical patient gets a placebo rather than the actual drug and winds up being cured anyway, does it count any less?

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure that it's analogous. It would seem that the purpose of the St. Joseph statue is to influence buyers...who are not aware that they are patients being given a treatment or placebo. If one argues that the patient is the home seller, they only have a successful outcome if someone else's behavior is affected. That's sort of like saying, I've got a medical condition, so a friend is going in for treatment.

• Michael Kimmel
    7 years ago

Yeah, good point. After I posted it I thought "That's kinda like the doctor never knowing there was a study going on - like the most uncontrolled of control groups" at best. We had our house up for sale for nearly a month. Had a few lookers but no offers. I had done the St. Joe's thing. (I figured 'What can it hurt?') But now I was disappointed, but for some reason I reread the literature in the little package. It specifies something to the effect of '...3 - 4 days after placement (and whatever reasonable repairs and or improvements are made...' We painted quite a bit of the second floor, but no lookers until the third afternoon. Then the third night, the offer came through. Was it the statue? I don't know and it doesn't really matter. If it's a happy coincidence I still came out on the good side of the deal.

• newgardenelf newgardenelf
    7 years ago

I work in a Catholic area and many sellers have done it. Never had one go unsold :)

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

Correlation is not causation... :)