Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Looking for house/wooded acreage in TN

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

We are flying blind here but want lower property taxes and warmer weather (we are in NW IL). Any TN people out there who can steer us in a direction of nice (safe) areas, rural but near a city for shopping/hospital, etc.

We are retired, so schools aren't an issue. I love to garden, my husband hunts and we currently have a very lovely isolated property which we just put on the market. I realize it could take a year to sell so we aren't really in a hurry.

Would like to know areas to stay away from as well as ones that are suitable.

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago

TN is an awfuly big state currently under a sheet of ice at 13 degrees just north of where I am. Not what I'd consider a ''warm'' retirement location. But , come August, the 101 degree days will make you almost forget the cold.

Your money will go further in East TN or West TN than most of middle TN, but a lot depends on what other things you are looking for. Have you vacationed enough in the state to know what appeals to you? As in, why specifically TN?? Family located close to anchor you?

• scrapbookheaven
    10 years ago

I grew up in Cookeville, Tennessee and loved it there. The city itself is half way between Knoxville and Nashville on Interstate 40. It is a medium sized college town with lots of countryside, so if you desire a more rural setting, it is still available and close to shopping, hospital, etc.

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the kind of info I am looking for. Yes, we chose TN because we will still be fairly close to some kids/gkids.

• scrapbookheaven
    10 years ago

The winters in Cookeville are generally mild. This year has been an anomaly. (Like much of the country!)

Lovely rolling countrysides and beautiful fall colors-I still miss that!

Any specific questions about the area?

• cricket5050
    10 years ago

Like Holly Springs said...Tennesee is a big state. You need to decide what area you are interested in. Do you want to live in the mountains, a small town, rural, city?

We are going to retire in East Tennessee because of the mountains. The property tax is low, no income tax but we have a high sales tax (almost 10%) The climate is cooler in that area than middle or west Tennessee but the whole state enjoys warm, humid summers. (except this winter where the whole state is cold - 18 degrees high today)

Have you thought about going to "city-data" official site and reading the posts of the different places to live in Tennessee? You can get so much information from that site since many locals read and responds to the posts.

This post was edited by cricket49 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 13:14

• cricket5050
    10 years ago

Sorry OP I just saw in your post you are looking for a rural area.

The area in Tennessee where we are moving will be somewhat rural with 8 wooded acres. We are 10-12 miles to Pigeon Forge which is a bigger area and about a 20 minute drive to Maryville.

Maryville is a nice town that many people are drawn to.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

RyseRyse_2004 - we are in NE IL and also looking to move that general direction but are focused on western NC rather than TN so I can't make location recommendations for you. I found the website linked below to be enormously helpful. You can get a great deal of information about almost any city or town (I have found a few small cities that oddly are not part of the data base) and a feature I really like is that you can compare 2 cities side by side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sperling's Best Places

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cricket - the website is city-data.com. Caution - citydata is malware.

• cricket5050
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by cricket49 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 13:16

• seww
    10 years ago

I'm a regular reader of the blog
    Fibermania.com Quilt artist Melody Johnson. She and her husband have moved and put their rural home on the market.
    I believe the 1-22-14 blog post has the link to the realtor listing of their home.
    Have fun looking!
    Sue

• seww
    10 years ago
  • dreamgarden
    10 years ago

"Caution - citydata is malware."

I agree.

• ashrafhaddadin
    9 years ago

Hi! My aunt moved to Nashville recently. She says there are a lot of good properties for sale now in TN. She looked all over. I'm thinking of getting a place there as well. I'm just currently looking for more info online before I make any stupid decisions. Lol.

She recommended her agent. She says she was really assisted well and she got the place at a good price. I think it would really be wise to get a good agent that would really take care of your interests. My aunt dealt with a couple before she found her agent. Just tell me if you want the agents details. I'm considering getting her services as well. My aunt had a lot of good things to say about her. Hopefully it works out well for me when I decide to go through with it.

Anyone know a good company to manage rental properties in TN? I'm thinking of renting out the property I'm planning on getting.

Sorry for the question.