Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staging-painting paneling?

Posted by tnmgoblue (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 9:40

Recently had the basement waterproofed where the bottom 4 feet of the basement was taken back to the block. In one storage room I had paneling and I saved the bottom 4 feet to re-use. Now, I see the nicks and marks on this old paneling and wonder if, since it is just a storage room, I can re-apply the bottom and then paint over all the paneling. I would use flat molding to cover the seam.

In a finished basement, in what would be used as a storage room, would painted paneling hurt the sale of the house? paint would cost a gallon of paint, new paneling would be $300.

Thanks in advance. Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staging-painting paneling?

my dad had painted paneling that he did in his living room., I thought it looked real nice. He had filled in the lines in the paneling with spackel, I would try using drywall mud, it's easier to work with. That way you get a smooth surface which you could also walpaper, which he did in another room. That also looked real nice and certainly brightened things up. You may want to consider using a primer first. All this of course will make the job longer, but in the long run, time against looks just isn't comparable. All depends on how nice you want the end result to be. Good luck and let us know what you did and how it turned out.

o
RE: Staging-painting paneling?

For a basement storage room I would apply the trim to cover the seam as you are planning and paint with an eggshell or satin paint. I would not worry a bit about filling all the paneling indentations. You want clean and fresh and painted paneling will get you there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here