Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worth It To Go From 1 1/2 to 2 Baths?

Posted by alisonn (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 8:48

We just bought an 1100 sq. foot, 2 bedroom house with two attached, one-car garages, one on each side of the house. The main bath is between the two existing bedrooms, the 1/2 bath is close to the garage that we will eventually convert into a master bedroom, bringing the total square footage of the house to about 1500 sq. ft. It is one of the smallest houses in the neighborhood. Adding a shower to the 1/2 bath is an option, but we're not sure we want to spend the money. Will it make a huge difference for resale to have 2 full baths vs. 1 1/2 baths in this type of property when it comes time to sell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worth It To Go From 1 1/2 to 2 Baths?

If you are going to convert the garage into a bedroom, then then you almost have to expand that bathroom. People will expect to have a complete bathroom adjacent to the master bedroom.

o

i think its a good idea to expand to a full 2 baths. however I don't know what is "expected"
there are plenty of houses in my area with 1.5 baths or even 1 bath total. its not ideal, but its there.

o

How many baths in similar sized competing houses?

o

Yes, it will make a huge difference for resale, especially if the bath is next to the master bedroom. If it's possible to do it you should.

o

This depends entirely on the standard for your area. 20 years ago, 1.75 (shower only in 2nd bathroom) was standard in our area. Now everything is 2. I can tell you from experience that 2 full baths always leased or sold faster for us even in the good old days.

o

Times have changed, and people expect a master bathroom to have a shower AND a tub.

o

Times have changed, and people expect a master bathroom to have a shower AND a tub.

That is an over-generalization. Around here, for example, it is good enough that the house has a bathtub; it does not need to be in the master bath.

o

I live in a high end neighborhood of custom homes, and we decided to put in a large doorless shower with double shower heads and NO tub. And quite a few of our neighbors don't have tubs. For me, I would hate to see a large space hogging tub where I could have a bigger shower or closet.

o

I agree with shadow ... lots of generalizations ... my area is an area of older homes, none have master baths ... or really a master bedroom or suite .. just one bedroom is a little larger than another.

Some of us could care less about master bedrooms, suites or attached master baths ... depends on your area and neighborhood.

o

"Will it make a huge difference for resale to have 2 full baths vs. 1 1/2 baths in this type of property when it comes time to sell?"

Well, it certainly will make a difference. There is really no arguing that a whole bath is more valuable than a half bath. The only real question is whether adding onto the bath will raise the home value more than the cost of the renovation. That question is 100% local.

Assuming your numbers are correct (400 ft garage/master and smallest home in the neighborhood) expanding the bath sounds like it will probably be a winner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here