Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonn_gw

Worth It To Go From 1 1/2 to 2 Baths?

alisonn
13 years ago

We just bought an 1100 sq. foot, 2 bedroom house with two attached, one-car garages, one on each side of the house. The main bath is between the two existing bedrooms, the 1/2 bath is close to the garage that we will eventually convert into a master bedroom, bringing the total square footage of the house to about 1500 sq. ft. It is one of the smallest houses in the neighborhood. Adding a shower to the 1/2 bath is an option, but we're not sure we want to spend the money. Will it make a huge difference for resale to have 2 full baths vs. 1 1/2 baths in this type of property when it comes time to sell?

Comments (10)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

If you are going to convert the garage into a bedroom, then then you almost have to expand that bathroom. People will expect to have a complete bathroom adjacent to the master bedroom.

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

i think its a good idea to expand to a full 2 baths. however I don't know what is "expected"
    there are plenty of houses in my area with 1.5 baths or even 1 bath total. its not ideal, but its there.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

How many baths in similar sized competing houses?

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Yes, it will make a huge difference for resale, especially if the bath is next to the master bedroom. If it's possible to do it you should.

• Dragontree
    13 years ago

This depends entirely on the standard for your area. 20 years ago, 1.75 (shower only in 2nd bathroom) was standard in our area. Now everything is 2. I can tell you from experience that 2 full baths always leased or sold faster for us even in the good old days.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

Times have changed, and people expect a master bathroom to have a shower AND a tub.

• shadow700
    13 years ago

Times have changed, and people expect a master bathroom to have a shower AND a tub.

That is an over-generalization. Around here, for example, it is good enough that the house has a bathtub; it does not need to be in the master bath.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I live in a high end neighborhood of custom homes, and we decided to put in a large doorless shower with double shower heads and NO tub. And quite a few of our neighbors don't have tubs. For me, I would hate to see a large space hogging tub where I could have a bigger shower or closet.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

I agree with shadow ... lots of generalizations ... my area is an area of older homes, none have master baths ... or really a master bedroom or suite .. just one bedroom is a little larger than another.

Some of us could care less about master bedrooms, suites or attached master baths ... depends on your area and neighborhood.

• Billl
    13 years ago

"Will it make a huge difference for resale to have 2 full baths vs. 1 1/2 baths in this type of property when it comes time to sell?"

Well, it certainly will make a difference. There is really no arguing that a whole bath is more valuable than a half bath. The only real question is whether adding onto the bath will raise the home value more than the cost of the renovation. That question is 100% local.

Assuming your numbers are correct (400 ft garage/master and smallest home in the neighborhood) expanding the bath sounds like it will probably be a winner.