Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berber or Frieze?? Which better to sell house?

Posted by jjellis (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 8:46

Trying to sell our house and have worn carpet so we're going to replace it to help show better. Which is better Berber or Frieze? Realtor said Frieze is popular right now but not for everyone and that Berber will be more pleasing to a bigger range of people so we picked a neutral Berber and have someone coming to install it today. But I've read on some sites that Frieze is better.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berber or Frieze?? Which better to sell house?

I have a personal dislike for Berber and wouldn't want it in a home either, Frieze is popular right now, but I'm not fond of it either. Why aren't you considering plush/pile carpeting? That would seem to me to appeal to the broadest range of buyers.

o

I'd second this statement 'Why aren't you considering plush/pile carpeting? That would seem to me to appeal to the broadest range of buyers.'

When I replaced it in the old home I posted about frieze vs. plush/pile and overwhelming said to go with the more traditional choice as it would be less of an issue with everybody.

o

I don't really like either one. Having said that, we went with frieze in my last house. I thought it looked better.

o

People like different things. I don't care for berber carpet but some people do. The problem with plush carpet is that inexpensive plush carpet looks very cheap and inexpensive frieze often doesn't.

Between berber and frieze I would pick frieze.

o

Most people seem to have strong feelings about Berber, either positive or negative.

Many people (fewer than for Berber) seem to have strong feelings about Frieze.

Plush/Pile is the great default neutral. Sure it's boring and often cheap. But it's the one style that virtually no one detests.

o

NOT berber.

o

A friend's parents just sold their house. It had pink carpet and wasn't selling. The realtor recommended frieze carpet. It sold within 3 weeks.

o

Frieze has to be easier to keep clean than berber. I've had berber and hated it! Very difficult to keep looking good.

o

So, are you pleased with the new carpet?

o

Well, I'm a big fan of berber myself so I loved it...and after we replaced the old carpet with berber, we sold the house within 24 hours. So I guess there aren't as many berber haters out there after all :)

Thanks for all your advice, I will definitely take it into account if we decide to change the carpet in our new house.

o

That's great news! I'm glad it sold so quickly after you put the new carpet in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here