Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belfastbound_gw

How to word or communicate this to a buyer

BelfastBound
10 years ago

We are a FSBO downsizing to a house in another state. We have a piano in a second floor bonus room that won't be coming with us. The new owners are welcome to it but it may be a distraction to say "... oh and guess what? that piano stays with the house - isn't that great?"

We also have a large chandelier (paid 1 grand 25 years ago) in our 3 story foyer that does not have a place in new home. I do not want to say it is "negotiable" because we can't take it with us or sell it or get up on scaffolding to take it down. Dining room chandelier, sconces and curtains, again, don't fit the new house and the buyers are welcome to them for the price of their offer.

Washer and dryer on second floor that are 5 years old. Just include in the deal or again, will most buyers want to bring their own?

I just can't determine if all this "noise" about what comes and goes makes the transaction un-necessarily complicated or will be a positive in the mind of a buyer.

Thank you for your time to all who give it.

Comments (15)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Get rid of the piano. That's just as bad a pool table when it comes to white elephants. It's a distinctly NEGATIVE feature that no one wants to pay to get rid of---jus like you don't want to deal with moving it either. Donate it to the first group that will agree to pay to have it moved.

For the light, of course it goes with the house unless you replace it before you list. But, no one will care about what you paid 25 years ago or really any other details about it that are only important to you. It won't add anything to the home to even call it out other than to make some buyers sniff dismissively about all of the updates that the home needs because it still has brass lighting fixtures.

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

In my area, buyers expect that light fixtures and window treatments convey with the house unless otherwise noted in the listing info. So, you need not say anything about those.

If your house is priced that it is likely to be purchased by first time homeowners, include the washer/dryer in the price. Just state in the listing "washer/dryer remain with house".

About the piano: either pre-emptively have it removed OR say nothing and when a buyer submits an offer you want to accept, ask them if they want the piano to convey or to be removed.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

LIghting fixtures always convey. Anything permanently attached to the home conveys. A piano isn't permanently attached, even though it may feel that way! If it defines the room well enough for staging purposes, you could leave it there for showings, but you do need to be prepared to not use it as a bargaining chip in the negotiations, and to have it removed before new owners take possession. There are very few people who would want to buy a home with a piano, and if you were intending to leave it, that would be a big negative.

• camlan
    10 years ago

You do need to find out what the norm is in your area for what conveys and what doesn't.

Usually, anything that is attached to the house stays. The example I've heard is that if you could pick the house up and turn it upside down and shake it, whatever stays in place, stays with the house. So lighting fixtures, curtain rods and the like usually stay.

Curtains and other window treatments--depends on your area. In some areas, people expect all the window treatments to stay with the house. In others, the expectation is that there will be something to cover the windows, but that could be a shade or a blind or a curtain. And in other areas, there are no expectations.

Same thing for appliances such as your washer and dryer.

In your case, I'd remove from the house any fixture that you want to take with you. Those that remain will be included in the sale of your house. For the washer and dryer, if you want them to stay, note this on your listing. But be prepared that the buyers might have their own washer and dryer and might ask you to remove yours as a condition of the sale. The piano? I'd get it out of the house, so the questions just don't arise. If you have time, I'd check around with various churches and schools to see if anyone wants the piano for the cost of moving it out of your house. Or list it on Craigslist. If you don't have time, call a junk removal service and pay them to haul it away--many of these services will recycle/sell what they haul away, so the piano won't be trashed.

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago

In our area W/D are left in the house along with the other major appliances (stove, refrigerator, dish washer), so see what is the norm in your area. I would get rid of the piano as others have stated. I would see it as a negative. takes up space and hard to move. Your lighting fixtures stay with the home as well as any window fixtures. You can leave curtains or shears if you like, but it is not necessary to do so, new owners probably will have their own to match their decor. When we moved into our present home, the previous owners were downsizing also. They left behind riding and push lawnmowers, an extra fridge in the cellar, an extra stove, and a canister vac. All were in working order. They also offered for sale a ornate parlor stove they used in the front parlor. We declined their offer...they left that also. To heavy to move. NancyLouise

• C Marlin
    10 years ago

If you are showing/selling your house furnished, why remove the piano before it is even sold? As soon as you get a credible offer,see if the buyer wants it, if not list it on Craigist for free.
    I did have a buyer request my piano in their offer. I increased my counter enough for me to buy a better new piano, we were happy.
    Ignore the lighting, it conveys.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

If you are showing/selling your house furnished, why remove the piano before it is even sold? As soon as you get a credible offer,see if the buyer wants it, if not list it on Craigist for free.

Totally agree. And all light fixtures convey. Include the drapes too, especially since they won't go to the new house. Don't stumble over dollars to pick up pennies.

• threepinktrees
    10 years ago

I would add that you need to not mention things like how much you paid for the chandelier when you bought it. When people say things like that I get the feeling their house is overpriced since it makes it sound like they're attaching value to things that may not add actual value to the house. Assuming you priced your house fairly, don't bring up prices of things like fixtures. People will assume they come with the house, so you don't really need to talk about them at all unless there's some special significance (ie, they once belonged to the queen).

• BelfastBound
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Will remember not to post before my second cup of coffee. I mentioned the $ for the chandelier in an inept attempt to convey that it is huge and thus unmanageable. I should have said it is 4 feet tall not how much it cost.

I am going to start the search now for a piano remover to have a plan in my pocket so as to not scurry when the new owners say "offer contingent on piano removal" :) So that they know it is a gift if they want it, I will put a line in the brochure to that effect and not otherwise mention. If they don't mention, I will assume they want it removed.

Again, thanks to everyone for their time.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

You could always try marketing it this way:

Piano for Sale! Bonus house included as free gift with purchase

;)

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Regarding the piano - as long as it looks like it "belongs" in the room - I'd leave it for now. If you have a family with young kids moving in, the buyers may be thrilled to get a free piano as they fantasize about little Johnny's debut at Carnegie Hall. Just offer to have the piano tuned before closing - so they know you aren't trying to unload a warped sound board.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

What you paid for anything is not relevant to the buyer. Yes, they will probably think you are including the price of the fixture in the price of the house. Also, I think many buyers just assume a FSBO is over-priced to begin with because in their minds, they deduct the commission unfortunately.

Because of this, I don't think much is gained by not using a Realtor.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

We bought a house with an old piano in it -- sellers asked us if we wanted it or not, we just shrugged and said sure! Unless you're in a Manhattan high-rise, pianos are actually not particularly difficult to move. Turns out it was fairly valuable and we were able to make a few hundred on it from the first person who answered our CraigsList ad.

Unless yours is a wreck, I'd just earmark $150 for having it removed, just in case, but let the buyer say whether they want to keep it or not after the sale goes through.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I doubt that you would have to pay anything to have it removed. Simply advertise it as Free on Craigslist and let someone take it away.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I'd donate that piano to a music school and take a hefty tax write off.