Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annfire_gw

Are curtains necessary?

annfire
15 years ago

We're getting our house ready to put on the market, and one project involves the guest bedroom - removing the wallpaper and painting. We are also removing the dated drapes and valance from the 12 foot wide windows, that essentially cover almost one entire wall of the room. As you can probably guess, replacing these will be very costly. Is it OK to NOT buy and install new curtains & rods, and let people be wowed by the natural light? We're on 3 acres, set far back from the cul-de-sac road, so privacy isn't a big issue. I just hate to dole out $200+ (ebay was the cheapest!) on window treatments that we'll never use, and potential buyers may turn around and want something different for that room (It's a first floor bedroom, while the 3 primary bedrooms are upstairs).

Curtains or no curtains?

Comments (15)

• marys1000
    15 years ago

For me it wouldn't matter at all. Actually I'd say it was a plus. Especially since there aren't any privacy issues.

• kgsd
    15 years ago

If privacy isn't an issue, I don't think you need curtains - it might even seem intentional to let in a lot of light.

• cordovamom
    15 years ago

I don't think you need curtains. Curtains are so taste specific. I've removed brand new expensive draperies from homes we bought simply because the draperies didn't fit in with my decor. Let the sun shine in.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I vote for no drapes - let the sunshine and view sell the house!

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I agree - curtains aren't a necessity. I live on a private wooded lot and have many windows without window treatments - by design. In my opinion nice large windows with expansive views have no need for curtains.

• xamsx
    15 years ago

Another vote for no curtains as long as privacy is not an issue.

• elle481
    15 years ago

I vote for no curtains also. My home that is currently on the market just has silhouette shade, wood blinds or mini blinds in all of the rooms. The blinds and shades all have headers that finish the look. The formal dining room has a custom cornice that I will be taking with me. I don't like living with other peoples "stuff". I love light and bright! The last home we bought had drapes in some of the rooms. We kept them up for privacy until we painted and decorated and then packed them away and left them for the new owners so they could do the same!

• annfire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow - thanks everyone for your input! I was picturing something similar to what cordovamom wrote - buying new curtains for staging purposes, and the buyer's might decide to turn it into a child or teen room, or buy their own styles. I'm so happy to read the overwhelming support for light & bright! I was surprised to see that it actually makes the room look even larger.

• marybelle_2009
    15 years ago

We had friends come over and critique our house before we listed it and they said the downstairs seemed dark, so we took down all the draperies in the living and dining room. The rooms do look bigger and brighter, and we, too have kept them in case the future owners like them.

• gwent
    15 years ago

I vote for no curtains as well.
    My house in now under agreement (yea!) and in one room our broker suggested after we removed the wall paper and painted, to remove the dated curtains as well. If you trust your broker (and at this point you should!) ask her/his advice on the curtain issue.

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Another one for no curtains! I live in a rural area, and don't have curtains. I don't think it looks cheap. I prefer all the natural light .. if the deer and coyotes want to lok in my windows, they are more than welcome to.

• arielitas_mom
    15 years ago

I personally dislike curtains - we have them only on the one street-facing window and they are rarely drawn (they belonged to the previous owners, so I didn't even buy them.

I say no curtains.

• Carol_from_ny
    15 years ago

Ditch the curtains. You don't need them. Fabric will hold smells so if you have or are a smoker, have or had animals in the house your curtains will hold those smells and for some people will be a huge turn off.

• deeje
    15 years ago

No privacy concerns? Forget the curtains!

(I wish I could do the same)