Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reverse mortgage if upside down?

Posted by weed30 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 17:44

My dad owes more than his home is worth, and is facing foreclosure fairly soon if he can't come up with some cash. Even if he pays this time, this situation will keep happening. Can he get a reverse mortgage even though he owes more than it's worth? I know he couldn't get any kind of additional money, just no more mortgage payment, right? He will be 82 in May. The house is in OK shape - needs some repairs but nothing horribly major.

Another question: What type of professional should I seek for advice on his overall financial situation? He owns two other pieces of real estate (commercial) that he's trying to sell, and has a contract on one of them. He owns a handful of collector cars and other items of value. I think I need to work with someone who can look at his entire financial picture and advise on the best way handle his affairs. I am also the executor of his will, when that eventuality occurs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reverse mortgage if upside down?

Hi Weed,
I'd suggest an elder-law attorney to start.

A reverse mortgage approval requires a minimal amount of remaining equity. Granted, its less & less as the owner is older... but I'm not familiar with any approvals in an upside-down equity scenario.

An elder-law attorney will generally be well-connected with ancillary service providers who can help, but will know up front where your Dad's situation is protectable, and where he is vulnerable.

Luck!
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

o

Can he get a reverse mortgage even though he owes more than it's worth?

No. There is no equity in the property.

What type of professional should I seek for advice on his overall financial situation?

Assuming he has funds for any professional, a Certified Financial Planner might be of help. They charge a fee for planning and advice only; in contrast to many other "financial planners", they don't depend on commissions for selling financial products. An annuity, purchased for the liquidated value of the other assets he is disposing of, will be one route you should be considering.

o

Thanks to both of you. I look at elder-law attorneys and CFPs. If the sale of his one property closes, he will be in much better shape financially. I hope to convince him to sell some of his other assets to keep him afloat. He's very stubborn though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here