Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murrywoods

Flat fee MSL sites????

murrywoods
13 years ago

Question has anyone used https://www.why6percent.com or similar sites which charges a fee to list your property on MLS.

Have just put the For Sale by Owner sign up and decide to have an open house. Not enough time to put anything in the local newspaper. Here is the listing on Zillow http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29-Lee-Ave-Gloversville-NY-12078/30453210_zpid/ I also put a listing on Craigslist.

I put Open House signs up the street at a busy intersection. The doorbell rang once. Three neighbors coming to look. Any ideas, suggestions to increase tracffic would be so appreciated.

Comments (6)

• jay06
    13 years ago

I have used, and am using now, a flat fee MLS company. My experience with it in the past was excellent--I got a lot of traffic from real estate agents as well as by owner, and I ended up able to sell it by owner. I've been listed this time for a month and it's been slow on both the agent side and by owner side, but that's just the market. I don't ever think I'll hire an agent again--it's just not worth the extra money paid in commission, in my opinion, especially since you seem willing to do some of the marketing work yourself.

If you have the time, using social media might help increase your traffic. I've set up a Facebook page and a Twitter page for our place, and I've received feedback from both. I'm also "following" a lot of agents on both pages in hopes that they see our listing and it might click for one of their buyers.

• murrywoods
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the info. Could you share which company you used? Thanks

• barbcollins
    13 years ago

Yes, we used flatfeelisting.com, and was satisfied with the results. You set it up yourself (pics, description) and they put it on the MLS.

We used it to sell a house that was 5 hours away. We had a combo lock on the door and if anyone called us directly, we advised them to contact any local realtor to show it. This worked well except for one time when a very rude man said he was sitting in the driveway and wanted to see the house NOW and didn't not want to fool with a realtor. I didn't lose sleep over him.

You do need to be available by phone to give agents permission to show the house. This was our only problem. I had just started a new full time job, and expressed to our group (3 couples) that I could not take the phone calls. Three others said they would. Well guess who ended up taking all the phone calls.....

I would recommend setting up a google voice number so you don't have to give out your home phone number. Plus you can have it try to find you on your cell etc, and you can screen the calls.

I kept track of the realtors that showed the houses, and eventually referred inquires to them. We paid the standard 3% to the buyers agent.

We are going to be selling a house next year and I may use this service again. This house is only 1/2 hour away, so I may show it myself if the situation comes up.

• murrywoods
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is such helpful information. Thank you so much.

• jay06
    13 years ago

In answer to your question, I used www.bergproperties.com, but I think it's a regional business.

• murrywoods
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it is regional. But that is exactly what I am looking for in NY.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company