Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanne283

gift for my realtor

susanne283
14 years ago

I was surprised to read a previous thread about this. Is it really atypical to get a gift for your realtor after closing? Our agent has been great, and I know the seller has been a little difficult to deal with. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• sue36
    14 years ago

In my experience gifts are given from the realtor to the client, not vice versa. I have received a gift from every agent I ever used (mind you, there were only 2). One gave me a print of my college, another gave me a large gift basket of goodies from a local food company.

• moneypenny
    14 years ago

I have received gifts from my realtor, but have never given a material gift in return. I do send a note of heartfelt thanks and a promise (which I follow up on) to recommend him to friends and family, which I think is appreciated more than anything else I could give him.

• cordovamom
    14 years ago

I've received gifts from my realtors, but never given one other then passing on their names.

• Linda
    14 years ago

I've given and received gifts. There are no rules for gift giving. It is a nice gesture. If you feel your agent went above and beyond and you want to show your gratitude, give a gift!

• xine
    14 years ago

A thank you note plus the large commission check is gift enough!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

After closing, my agent's company sent me a satisfaction questionnaire. I answered the questions and in the remarks section gave glowing comments about her performance (she was a dynamo). She contacted me afterward and said the head of the agency read my remarks at the staff meeting. Better than a box of chocolates, in my opinion.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

"There are no rules for gift giving. It is a nice gesture."

Isn't it interesting that we hear about giving Christmas or thank-you presents to other people who do services for us (mechanics, delivery people, hairdressers), but people are tacky enough, or stingy enough, to say the Realtor fee is "enough"?

Of course it is.

As is the mechanic fee, the delivery fee, the hairdresser fee...

Do what your heart tells you.

It touches my heart when someone goes outside the Realtor/client box to express appreciation.

& gifts are tokens of appreciation, not huge expenditures-
    if you *want* to buy me a convertible, of course I'd be most grateful...
    but that box of chocolates someone mentioned, with a card, would be a wonderful & gratifying token.

• mariend
    14 years ago

Maybe a gift card such as a visa card which can be spent anywhere.

• Linda
    14 years ago

A thank you note plus the large commission check is gift enough!

Humm, are you sure the "large commission check" is actually that large?

• cindyb_va
    14 years ago

If your realtor did a stellar job for you, the best gift you can give her is to refer her to anyone you know that is in the market as either a buyer or seller, including friends, family, neighbors, your local civic association, etc.

• C Marlin
    14 years ago

Come on now, all you Realtors, do you really thing you should get a gift?
    Gifts are a nice extra for special service, but it appears you expect a gift from your clients.
    I hope you don't feel the way your posts appear to say.
    Enjoy the day!

• addictedtoroses
    14 years ago

I didn't take it like they expected a gift at all. They're just saying why not, if somebody gives you exceptional service, a small present would be a token of appreciation. And FWIW, about eleven years back, I had a realtor over to give an estimate on my house. About a month later, I saw her in town with her kids. They were getting shots and picking up vouchers at the WIC office. As people have said here before, the broker at the RE office makes the most money. The "average Jane" that helps you sell or buy your home, can be making less than minimum wage per month depending on the economy, how many hours she put in, her expenses, etc.

• calliope
    14 years ago

I think it is a lovely idea, and see no reason why you shouldn't do this if you feel like it. I also feel the same way about obligatory 'gifts'. I wish our system were set up where a gratuity wasn't a euphemism for wages, but actually an indicator of a job well done.

I have had people bring me little gifts at my business. I certainly don't expect them, and for that very reason they mean something and indicate to me my customers feel that over the years I've treated them special. Every business person appreciates that. And yes.......I became friends with the realtor who sold one of my houses, and also worked with me to buy some land. She worked her hiney off, and it was then I found out she is the one who coughs up the money for things like advertising and signage to use for her listings. She impressed me because she works just as hard for the 'little' listings as the big ones.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

"I have had people bring me little gifts at my business. I certainly don't expect them, and for that very reason they mean something"

Many many years ago, you could get your driver's license in Texas at the age of 14 if you took driver's ed.

so I did...

Only thing was, then you had to go to your daddy's insurance agency & tell them how careful & responsible you would be in the car & beg them to cover you.

My father's "insurance lady" was so nice to me...

She was putting together a charm bracelet with coins from the year of her birth, & she couldn't find the penny.

She had been born during WWII, & the steel pennies from those years (copper being used for the war effort) were hard to find.

I found one & took it to her, & she was surprised & thrilled.

It must have made me feel good, because I still remember it with a smile 40 years later.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I'm not a real estate agent nor have I ever given a gift to one. But if I felt like there was a reason to, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I agree with what was said above, everyone gets paid for doing their job, so if you feel that the commission check is enough in this case, wouldn't you also feel that anyone else's pay is enough as well?

IOW if you don't want to give any one who maybe goes above and beyond a little extra, be it a tip or gift or whatever, then that's your perogative. But I don't see why, if someone feels the urge to give someone else a gift, for whatever reason, anyone should discourage it!

Our agent has been great, and I know the seller has been a little difficult to deal with. You feel she deserves a gift, get her one. Exactly where is the harm in that?

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

OMG I have bought and sold close to 10 properties and I have never given nor received a gift from a realtor.

You would think considering how much money they get a little something would be nice!

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Amazing comments. I just sold my home and gave my Realtor a gift because she was the best. My husband and I adore her. She helped us through a emotional, difficult transition and held our hand all the way through. She was a calm, steady partner during this process and we wanted to show her our gratitude. Her commission is her business, her humanity was her gift to us.

Jane

• annainpa
    14 years ago

I would go with the previous advisors that said to act as your heart is telling you to.

First year as a real estate agent, back in the Iron Age of 1983, I was totally blown away when, just before Thanksgiving, a beautifully-wrapped crystal cranberry sauce dish and silver spoon was delivered at my office. The person who gave it was a busy single person who had bought a modest town home. To this day, I can't think of a nicer gift.

When you work in a commercial sector, gifts are certainly not expected, so maybe that is why gifts are extra appreciated.

Some folks are just sort of "Sealed with a Kiss" kind of of people.