Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thinking of putting in a backup offer?

Posted by sovra (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 12:50

Is it worth even thinking of putting in a backup offer on a property that went under contract? I saw a house that I really liked at an open house, but it went under contract very quickly-- the same day that I went to see it again with my agent. (My agent is kind of annoyed that the other agent didn't let her know that there was another offer already in the works at that point.)

My agent hasn't talked to me about possibly putting in a backup offer, but I'm not really loving the other listings that I'm seeing. I don't have to move for several months, so I can always wait for other listings to come on the market... but I think the less-appealing listings that are available right now are making it hard to stop thinking about the one I liked so much. But is a backup offer even worth the effort?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thinking of putting in a backup offer?

I think that if you really like the property that it is worth the effort to put in a back up offer. Deals are falling apart in this economy as lenders tighten up credit and appraisers tighten up on appraisals. My SIL is a mortgage broker and he says the number of deals that don't close for either financing or appraisal reasons is huge right now. Very discouraging for him as a mortgage broker. So if you have all your ducks in a row, you may be in a better position to close then the current buyer, you just don't know. Worth a shot, I think.

o

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'd say do it. I know several folks who have gotten their homes that way.

o

If you have a back-up contract & the primary contract fails, the seller has to sell you the house.

If you don't have a back-up contract & the primary contract fails, you might not find out about it until someone else puts a contract on the house.

o

If you make a back up offer, and the primary buyer waves an inspection contingency in front of the seller, they just may tell that buyer to kiss off. Without a back up offer, they may cave, and you will then have zero chance at the house.

In other words, what are you waiting for.

o

We were the backup offer on our house and we got it. First buyer was a first time homeowner and the inspection scared her off. Since the seller knew they had a backup they had no problem moving on to us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here