Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elle481

How long did it take you to get your home ready for market?

elle481
15 years ago

It seems to be taking us forever to get our home ready for market. We started a few weeks ago and were hoping to have it listed by the last week in Feb. I am pulling my hair out!!! We do have a large home, 3300 sq ft plus a full basement with stuff (mostly junk that we are getting rid of) and attic so it becomes overwhelming. We really are looking forward to downsizing at this point in our lives! Because of the way the market has been, in order to get the best price for a home, you need to make it look like a showplace. I just hope we don't miss the spring market.

Comments (6)

• cordovamom
    15 years ago

The key for us as frequent transferees was to always keep the home well maintained and get rid of junk as we go along instead of becoming pack rats. We would usually take a few weeks from time my hubby accepted the transfer til the time we'd put the home on the market. We'd use that time to freshen up paint and declutter closets and children's rooms. A few times we'd have a project that was next on our list that we'd have to move up a time frame on, but usually just a small project.

If you're trying to get the home on the market quickly, concentrate on the living spaces first, then work on the basement and attics. Tackle it in steps and it won't seem so overwhelming.

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

Check out my post Sellers, what are you doing to prep?

I always found more stuff to do! lol

• elle481
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both!! Just finished cleaning and "staging" our bedroom closets. They look great. Looks like we are going to order a Pod this week to put all of our clutter in and get it off premises. Sounds great. They will deliver and store the Pod and then deliver it to our new home. So much better than taking tons of trips to a storage facility. I'm going to post a question about this type of service though so see if people have had any issues, problems, concerns or helpful hints about them. Hopefully the house will be on the market in 2 weeks and we will sell!!! Then we can pick the house we want (hopefully it will be still on the market). ~Elle

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

We did not do a POD after doing our research. The POD was expensive, the place they stored it at was not close (over 30 minutes) and we'd have to call 24 hours in advance to get access to it.

We got a storage unit which was on the way home from hubby's work so he was able to stop when we needed stuff or to put more in.

We did not anticipate our stuff would be stored for a year. We thought we'd sell quickly but it wasn't meant to be. It took exactly 1 year from listing to closing so our stuff was in storage longer.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    15 years ago

It took me two months to prep doing it full time.

We had just painted the exterior the previous year but I painted every paintable surface on the interior- inside closets, garage, everything. POD packed to the gills for storage and then staging every square inch of the home.
    Thorough going over of the landscaping too- there wasn't as much as a dead leaf on a tree.
    Sold in 30 days for asking price.

• mostone
    15 years ago

It took four of us about 6 months of weekends to get an elderly relative's house ready for sale. The bulk of the time was spent sorting and decluttering. We also did a lot of clean up work in the yard, pulled up carpeting and had the place painted. The house sold in 2 weeks last year.