Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeseller2010

Window treatments, bedding--deal breakers?

homeseller2010
13 years ago

Hello,

Could not so appealing window treatments(drapes, curtain rods) and bedding (comforter, bill covers, shams etc) be a deal breakers?

I will be putting my house in the market next week, my home is 7 year old, clean and new, however window treatments and bedding have decent stuff but may not be so appealing to the buyers.

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Jim

Comments (14)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Only if they are so bad they are a distraction.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by not so appealing.

I think your window treatments, bedding, etc., are an indication of your house. It's ok to have "not brand new" stuff in your house. Depending upon what you have, the house will look either outdated, trendy, or comfortable. It could be the difference between "maintained" and "upgraded" It's all how you present it.

If you want opinions specific to what you have, post pictures. It may be that what you have looks good or needs a little updating.

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Get rid of anything which looks old, shabby or outdated. It might not be a deal breaker, but it will turn people off. Selling a house has a real psychological aspect to it and you need to make it appealing. You have a lot of competition.

You might be better off with no curtains and get a simple, neutral coverlett or duvet.

In this market, don't skimp.

Jane

• booboo60
    13 years ago

I was going to add, you just can't "skimp" in this market. You have to present your home as clean, fresh, tidy, etc. There are lots of linens and such on sale right now, it wouldn't be that expensive to do.

• coloradomomof5
    13 years ago

This is my theory. If you are selling a house for x amount of dollars, then the furnishings should match the price. Example: If you have a million dollar house, the furniture probably shouldn't be from Target. :0 Like I said, just my personal theory-that's why I like CL where you get great looking stuff for little $ to stage!

• orv1
    13 years ago

What's a bill cover? I know duvet, sham, bed skirt etc, just never heard that one.

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is a typo--it should be pillow covers? "Bill covers" ????--I wish I could get this to cover my bills!! May be I had too much to drink while posting OP.

Good catch orvl:)

Jim

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Oh, Jim...is the process driving you to drink too??? I'd love a glass of wine right about now and it's not even 1430!! We've been on the market for a few months now and it's an ongoing, nightmarish process.

About your original question...if your bedding and window treatments are really dated or very taste specific, you may want to freshen them up. I just have a solid covered quilt and an off white hobnail chenille blanket on my bed. Found some silk pillows at Target on sale and dress the bed up with those. I did have curtains made, but you don't have to go to alot of expense to change yours out. If you have nice blinds, the windows may be perfectly fine without any fabric treatments. If you really feel you need fabric, just choose solid or tone on tone panels that go with the rest of your decor (the more neutral the better). I have a shabby chic guest room that is taste specific, but the look is still current and done simply that the agents and buyers like it. I do worry about my girls' room sometimes as it is light pink and am still considering painting it a more neutral color. I won't remove their girly pink decor stuff though as we still have to live here and if people can't look past that...well, I can't make everyone happy.

Any way at all you can post some photos of your areas of concern? You might find that your bedding/curtains are fine and won't have to bother with the expense of buying new stuff.

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hay--it could be "slip covers". It is not only the expenses that is bothering me it is the expectations from the buyers that irks me.
    De cluttering is never ending process, I clean from one end of the home and finish up--only to realize that already I have to start over again. In between my wife and I fall sick with all this dust, chemicals and tiredness.
    Jim

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Try Home Goods. I bought so much stuff to stage my house there. Also, I hit Pier 1 for small tables, etc. Nothing expensive. You'd be surprised how you can make a room look so nice with minimal work. Actually, minimal is the word...empty most of you things out of the room and just add small touches and color.

I found that shine makes a room look clean and attractive. I removed all the screens on the windows, painted all our trim white, wiped all the wood doors and trim with a spray polish (Swiffer)until everything sparkled.

It was a nightmare. We had to be ready to run with little notice. I kept laundry baskets by the door to throw stuff in. Kept cans of polish on each floor with clean rags to wipe everything - don't forget sinks, faucets, doorknobs.

You are right, there were Saturdays & Sundays, I'd sit in my car, a block away, waiting for the people to leave my house. I smelled like Swiffer, Windex, Clorox, I'd feel sick to my stomach. These chemicals can kill you!

Good luck,
    Jane

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Get rid of anything which looks old, shabby or outdated. It might not be a deal breaker, but it will turn people off. Selling a house has a real psychological aspect to it and you need to make it appealing. You have a lot of competition.

Totally agree with this.
    Windows will look better bare than with ugly/outdated window coverings. Plain white comforters (think upscale hotel suite) often have more appeal than old bedding.

• fightingoverfinishes
    13 years ago

I agree that you should update your window coverings and bedding. I've been looking at houses lately and when I run across a home with old/dated blinds I immediately think the whole house needs to be updated. I think "if they don't care enough to replace old curtains-what else have they neglected to do to this home". I don't think old drapes/bedding is a deal breaker. But it can't hurt. I've been house hunting in an area with many new-ish homes and and outdated decor really stands out.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

You don't have to spend a lot of money. You can get decent looking basic lined drapes at places like Walmart and Target. Just make sure they aren't too long/short and aren't wrinkled.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

good advice, so I'm just adding a sort of "ps".

Window treatments usually convey with the property;
    replace the ones you want to keep before your Realtor takes photos & before you start showing the house.