Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no utilities for 1 year

Posted by nelles (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 11:00

Hello again,

I had asked the question about a Fannie Mae HOMEPATH home. Thank you all who responded.

I have learned that this house, which is in Central Florida, has had no utilities for 1 year. Which means that there was zero air conditioning for a year!

Would you run from this house? That is my inclination, as mold/mildew would be a major issue.

TIA,
Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no utilities for 1 year

I would probably have it inspected by a company specializing in mold. They would be best able to tell you how bad a mold problem there is in the house. They could also let you know how much it would cost to fix the problem. With that info you could then decide if you want to make an offer and how much to deduct from the asking price. But with a house that has been sitting for a year unoccupied, (I'm assuming) you will have more problems then just the mold. NancyLouise

o

OK, NancyLouise, what other problems should I be worried about?

TIA,
Ellen

o

Are there any signs of pests or rodents taking up residence? Are termites a problem in that area of FL? Check the foundation Has any maintenance been done to the home in a year? Roof tiles that needed fixing so the rain couldn't get in. Possibly rain getting into the interior walls damaging the wiring,etc. These things are what come to mind when you say it has been sitting for a year with no utilities. Just general running condition for a house. NancyLouise

o

Thanks, NancyLouise, there are things I never wiuld have thought of.

The house is in a yard-maintained active adult community, but I doubt anything ha been maintained when it comes to the structure and interior of the house.

Thanks again,
Ellen

o

If it's a frame house (vice block), the first thing I would worry about would be WDO also depending on how old the house is. Newer construction requires pressure-treated framing so it will repel WDOs for a few years.

WDO = wood destroying organisms (ie termites, but also carpenter ants and other wood-eating bugs)

Some houses will be dry, some will be wet. You never know. There are many factors, but you can see and smell it usually if it's there. Just look for things like new paint that might be covering up mold/mildew damage.

o

Just so you know, we purchased a foreclosure near Tampa that had no utilities on for over 3 years.

No mold and the AC worked perfectly once the power was turned on.

BTW our realtor was able to get the power turned on for our inspection.

Good luck

ML

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here