Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonn_gw

For Sale Photos

alisonn
10 years ago

This is a terrific room--everyone who comes in oohs and aahs over it, yet I feel the picture isn't doing it justice. Is it because the couches scream "outdated country decorating?" I feel very strongly that the pictures in an ad are the make-it-or-break-it for getting people in the door. Should I invest in some cheap, neutral couch covers? Bring it on--you won't hurt my feelings--I want to sell the house!

Comments (27)

• User
    10 years ago

Too darn red. Paint the walls. Red is best in small doses because it's such a strong color. Buyers will take one look at that and start adding up the cost of a professional painter with scaffolding to come in and pant. Don't give them anything to start thinking about deducting. Neutralize the walls.

• rrah
    10 years ago

The furniture isn't what screams at me in that picture. It is the red walls. (and red is my favorite color) As above, a single red wall works sometimes, but in this picture it is just overwhelming. Also getting just the right red is hard. This one is too pinkish for my tastes. Everything is red. You need some contrasting colors in there. Paint the walls. It's all matching and just too much.

Other stuff--take down the dead fish on the wall by the fireplace and move the tissue box and papers on the table for photos. Put a vase of flowers on the coffee table for the pics. The bookshelf or whatever it is in the corner looks like it's overflowing with stuff. Get those speakers on the fireplace out of the photos. Is that some type of artwork over the window on the right or a heat vent of some type? If it's artwork take it down and put it on the fireplace instead of that little piece that is currently there.

This looks like a lovely room, just needs a bit of tweaking for selling.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

That is a great room. Sometimes what grabs the eye in photos is different than the attentions-getter(s) when standing in the room. I agree with what was written by hollysprings and rrah.

• alisonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not being defensive, I'm being honest---in person people love the red....or else they are full of baloney. But I think they really do love it. We bought the house with the red 16 years ago and when we repainted after 12 years, we tried about eight other big samples of color on the walls and went with....a slightly different shade of red.

But, I'm taking your opinions seriously--what color would you suggest with the wood ceilings and the stone fireplace?

• alisonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I posted the photo on facebook, for people who have been in the room to critique the photo. First up was my brother, who suggested I doctor the photo to tone it down. So, here it is and this is really more true to what it actually looks like. Does it look markedly better.....or no?

• User
    10 years ago

No. It still needs to be painted over for a home for sale. It's anything but neutral and you need neutral. It's one of the hardest colors to cover well too and people know that. Pick out one of the tans or greiges from the fireplace and paint the room that.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

What are those silver cases in either side of the fireplace? Speakers?

• function_first
    10 years ago

I agree that the walls should be painted a neutral color -- an intense color like that would be a huge turn off for many people.

HereâÂÂs a couple of (very poorly) photoshopped neutral walls.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• frozenelves
    10 years ago

I agree with the red having to go. I might not walk away from sale over it, but it's hard to overlook. I think slipcovers would be good too. I think the pattern of the rug, sofas and rock clash.

• marys235
    10 years ago

I think the red walls might look better with different upholstery. You might try neutral slip covers first, and just see what it looks like. The red chair and red plaid couches are just too much red.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

I don't like the red either. (I LOVE red accents which I use in my mostly beige bedroom and master bath) I seem to "feel" a lot of visual clutter. Patterns or colors are clashing or SOMETHING....I just can't put my finger on WHAT. I just know it is isn't soothing/pleasant; nor does it pop.

• peegee
    10 years ago

You've received feedback on how many others may perceive the red wall color and other items from a home buying viewpoint - often very different from how visitors may appreciate a homeowner's decor. It is difficult to give decorating/staging advice however from just one photo and perspective of a room which does not give information on the total relationship with other areas of the room or home. I would recommend posting additional photos, and cross posting your question and multiple pics on the decorating forum also where staging questions come up often. Some of the disconnects appear to come from the datedness of the country feel of the fabrics, and lack of relationship in style and color with the area rug and color and mass of the stonework. Having done some staging work, I believe suggestions you will receive will make a huge difference in appeal, some likely as simple as once the wall color is determined, a large artwork on the fireplace may break up some of the mass of the fireplace and make it relate better to the room - which is beautiful BTW, and the outside views seem fabulous. Good luck!!!

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago

If you like leave the wall red where the fireplace is. Paint the other walls a neutral color. Take down the fish and star things that are on the wall. The speakers(I'm assuming) need to go also. None of it looks good by the fireplace. The over crowded corner book case needs purging of some of that clutter as someone else posted. The black chalkboard thing over the window needs to come down also. It looks like it was just stuck up there. Yep, the couches look old and dated. Inexpensive slip covers will help. Add a few decorative pillows with red colored accents to match the fireplace wall. For window coverings, I would go up above the windows themselves with panels and a valance to make the windows look taller. (to try and go along with your high ceiling) Just the lace valance doesn't look good to me. Clean and declutter the house. Just a few suggestions to get you started. NancyLouise

• alisonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your advice. The funny thing is that we decided a few years ago to change the wall color and nothing we picked looked good, mostly because, instead of the fireplace popping, the neutral colors made it kind of blend into the background.

That "art" above the window is an air conditioner built into the wall, so it has to stay.

My husband is pretty firm about not repainting (so far...), so hopefully covering the couches and completely de-cluttering will make a difference. It's funny how you really can't see your house as others see it. All your advice really helped me to notice stuff I wouldn't otherwise have noticed. Thanks so much.

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

I agree, it's the red walls. Paint them a nice warm tan. People are ohh ahh over the room because of the strong features, the beautiful fireplace and ceiling, not the paint. Red is a favorite of mine, but if I bought your house, I'd repaint it before I moved in.

I don't think the slipcovers will help. Afterall, people are smart enough to know they aren't buying your furnishings.

Why would your husband be opposed to repainting? Because it is a challenge? That's what buyers think and they will low ball you because of it. So you are helping them make a deduct list rather than showcasing that amazing room that they can't live without!

• Mmmbeeer
    10 years ago

Unless it's a seller's market, from the buyers perspective, they see you as wanting top dollar for your home and then they get to pay you for the privilege of having to paint it on top of that. In my opinion, it's foolish to be stubborn over a project that will probably have the largest impact on your home as well as being relatively inexpensive to do.

I love the slipcover idea. Your furniture has nice clean lines and with soothing neutral wall color and furnishings, it will give a more contemporary vibe. I'd also hang panels on your windows (hanging the rod a few inches above your window frame); they will really help show off the height of the room and will help to add some drama without competing with the fireplace. I'd definitely pare down the clutter because that translates to a country vibe as well. Most buyers are attracted to clean, simple, classic, pared down rooms. That star looks like it would add a nice modern touch sitting alone on your coffee table. Good luck--you can still make that room stunning with neutral decor. Think of it as a different interpretation ;-)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

We have an apartment that we rent that has a red dining room. The color is from the sherwin williams arts and crafts collection. The color looks wonderful when you are in the room. Everyone who comes into the apartment has something nice to say about it.

The problem is when the apartment is vacant and I post it for rent I can't put a photo. For some reason it never looks good. I've had people contact me when seeing a photo (before seeing the apartment in person) who ask if it would be Ok to paint the apartment. Of course the answer is NO. So I just don't post photos.

I know you can't not post photos of your house when selling. I don't have an answer for you. Just wanted to let you know that your room may look fabulous in person but that does not translate in a photo.

• deegw
    10 years ago

When I see something unusual or striking in someone's house I will make a compliment. Sometimes I think it's great, sometimes I am just being polite. But, the compliment doesn't mean that I want it in my house.

• Mmmbeeer
    10 years ago

I wish I could have found a better (less blue, a little more neutral) example but this still illustrates how window panels can add substance and scale to a room without taking the focus off the stone fireplace.

• hayden2
    10 years ago

After looking at the photo for a few moments, it seems to me the photo makes the room look upside down. The wooden ceiling and the very light carpet make it almost look as if the floor is on top and the ceiling on the bottom. Did anyone else experience this illusion?

I can understand a light or medium neutral making the fireplace fade. How about a dark neutral? A dark chinchilla or mouse color that would be color neutral, warm, and make the lighter tones of the fireplace stand out. Then get a darker area rug with some color in it (maybe red or rust tones?) to ground the room.

And of course, since you're already planning to do this, take out the fish, little items, tissues, etc.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I also agree, at least from the photo, the room needs some grounding and an anchor. Many of the suggestions in this thread, like panels or a darker rug will work.

You want the beautiful ceiling to be a feature but if you don't have something to catch people's eye at floor level it can make the room feel off balance and disorienting.

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry, but my first reaction to the photo was to physically pull back and go "whoa" It may be lovely in person, but in the photo, it assaults your senses, and not at all in a good way. Without the red on the walls, and with some slipcovers, and decluttering, the room will appear to be very 2014. The good news is that only the painting is the real effort to doing that. The very reason your husband doesn't want to paint (it's a pain) is the reason that buyers will ding you and want a price concession to have the red painted over.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm not trying to pile on here - but I have to say my first reaction was, "wow - that is RED!"

I love the room too, but I'd love it even more if it were a bit more neutral. I'm sure finding the right neutral can be hard....but I really do believe if you can find the right one, you will be doing yourself a favor with house hunters.

• gingerjenny
    10 years ago

I personally like the furniture and the ceiling. I love mission style furniture. The one thing I don't like is the fireplace which I guess you can't change. Maybe a different paint color would make the fireplace look better or show off the stone. I don't feel like the red paint goes with the fireplace stone.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with Ginger. The fireplace does not work with the other colors in the room.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

On my monitor, the fireplace looks like cooler colors, grey, bluish, while everything else (ceiling, floor, rug furniture) is more warm colored. Is there any creamy color or warmer white in the fireplace stones?
    I LOVE red, but would also suggest to paint the walls a neutral color, perhaps an off white to expand the room and put the focus on the fireplace and ceiling. Other options could be a greige, beige (Manchester Tan, Edgecomb Grey).

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of beams or huge fireplaces but I think this can be improved on. I like the red color of the walls. I wonder if it would help to do something to the fireplace so it adds interest. Stained glass accents? Not quite sure what, but right now all I see is large grey albatross taking up the room.

Sorry, just being honest! Please take it for what it is. Objective criticism. Best of luck going forward!