Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screened Porch Included in Home's Square Footage?

Posted by sds1234 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 08 at 10:10

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if a screened porch should be included when calculating a home's square footage? (When figuring out a home's price per square foot)
I know that it is included when figuring out lot coverage, but I thought that a room had to be heated to be incuded in the square footage.
Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screened Porch Included in Home's Square Footage?

I doubt very much that it should be in there - basements are not even included a lot of the time, even if they are in fact semi-finished, nor should closets be included. It's a matter of 'being honest' about regular living space, and while a porch may be a nice addition and you personally may spend time there, it's not part of the actual 'living' space.

o

It may be a regional thing, but I've been told unless the screen porch is heated living space it can't be included. Locally we have two square footages reported, heated square footage and total square footage.

o

In TX it wouldn't. I doubt it is anywhere unless it is enclosed and fully protected from the elements (which screens don't do) and heated or cooled depending on the area.

o

Only HVAC-ed space above ground is counted here in Chicagoland -- both by the assessor and on a listing.

o

"...nor should closets be included..."

Yes, closets are included. They are above ground & HVACed.

o

closets are definitely included, esp. since lots of those sq ft calculations are done on the outside dimensions of the house. Hallways, too.

(when I tried once to figure the sq ft of my apt, I added the major rooms together and came up w/ 850. Later, I realized I'd left out hallways, closets, and maybe even both bathrooms. Suddenly, I gained a whole bunch of living space--refiguring, based on external measurements, up to 1,100. And I didn't even have to move, LOL!)

o

Okay, so the 2-car garage in my recently-sold MD house had it's own heat pump - should I have included that in my square footage?
This house was the 1st model home, so the showing office was in the garage, which, I should mention, also had double french doors, bay window w/window treatments, chair railing, wallpaper, crown moulding, lots of dead phone lines, and a huge chandelier hanging in the middle. If we threw down carpet, we'd have a giant bonus room. If you looked very carefully, you could just see a slight variance in the grass where a path had gone from the office french doors straight to the front of the model home next door.

o

Okay, so the 2-car garage in my recently-sold MD house had it's own heat pump - should I have included that in my square footage?

Only if it's actual living space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here