Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dscpate

replace hardwood before selling?

dscpate
14 years ago

Hi, new to the forums and putting my house up for sale in 6 weeks. I am sure I will be here a bunch for your help.

Anyway, I have hardwood in my dining room/living room and hallway. When we installed it, it was put down using a metal clip method. Didn't know much about it and now regret it because it has always had a "squeak" about it but not everywhere, just certain spots, but it makes noise when you walk on it. My husband wants to tear it up and nail it down on top of the existing hardwood floors that we have in our kids room and then replace the entire kitchen, living and dining room with the same tile that he has found that he likes for about 1.89 per sq ft. It is a small house and it would cost us about 2 thousand for the tile and we would do the work. I guess my question is would you do this just to sell the house? We are already going to replace the tiles in the 2 bathrooms to update them. The tile in the kitchen is nice and the kids room have a blonde wood floor in them already. I am just wondering if spending 2 grand on flooring at this point would be worth it. Honestly, we live in a starter home that we won't make much money off of. I am just not sure if the squeaky hardwoods are going to put off buyers, my husband thinks replacing them will make the house sell quicker, I think we will just be losing money. Any thoughts?

Comments (5)