Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

House where tragedy occured

deegw
12 years ago

I don't want to give too many details about the tragedy because it was very unusual, happened very close to my house and it got national news coverage. Suffice it to say, the occupants of the house suffered a horrific death because of an accident and their bodies weren't discovered for a while. The house suffered no damage during the tragedy.

The house is currently on the market and is really spectacular. I was curious if the tragedy is something the sellers (in this case, the estate) have to disclose or does it depend on local law?

Comments (11)

• melody-s
    12 years ago

It probably varies by state. I was told by a realtor in California that there must be a disclosure if there was a death in the house within the past two years.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

In Texas, natural deaths & suicides don't have to be disclosed;
    violent deaths have to be disclosed because the buyer might be at risk (ie: deceased was killed by a rival drug dealer, but his other rivals haven't been told that the new buyer/occupant is a whole 'nother person against whom they have no grudge).

I would advise any seller to disclose whatever he/she knows in advance, rather than have the potential buyer find out either before closing & refuse to close or find out after closing & call an attorney.

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

It absolutely must be disclosed in California and is a checkbox on the standard disclosure form.

I went to an open house 2 weeks ago. There had been a murder in the same block last year, not even the same house. It was disclosed in the disclosure package with a note that further information was available with the city police department.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"It absolutely must be disclosed in California and is a checkbox on the standard disclosure form."

I guess we figured out that people die all the time in Virginia.

I had a personal residence the PO died in from natural causes.
    I purchased the place from the executor.

I hear being alive is one of the leading causes of death.

• mpinto
    12 years ago

In Massachusetts we don't disclose unless asked. Even then, we may not even know.

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

California Note how many homes are priced with at least two eights in the list price. A house just sold on my street listed at $888,888. This isn't an accident ;-)

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

In my old neighborhood, a murder, suicide occured in a home. Husband murdered his entire family. Horrible, as my children were in school with two of the children.

The house sat for years unsold but was finally bought by someone who had the house gutted completely down to the frame. I'm sure they bought it for next to nothing.

I'm not sure what the law is in NY (Westchester Cty), but it would have been impossible for buyers to not find out what happened in the house. The entire community (small) was in shock for many years.

Jane

• polie
    12 years ago

I read that in New York, it is not a legal requirement that a tragedy, for example, a murder-suicide, be reported to buyers. That said, I actually think it's wiser for the seller or the estate to let buyers know. Word gets around, and rather than scaring off potential buyers, it's best to be upfront and be able to diplomatically frame the issue.

• jrb451
    3 years ago

Anyone care to share what’s the protocol in their area for disclosure on death in a home for sale? Not talking about murder or suicide. TIA

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

jrb talk to your real estate agent. Here it is just a courtesy mention but not required. The previous owner's wife died in this house only found that out when the husband mentioned it. None of the neighbors cared enough to mention it. Deaths at home are still common.