Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wease_gw

HGTV Dream Home taxes

wease
15 years ago

I have a question regarding taxes that will be charged to the HGTV Dream Home winner. If the winner decides to sell it and not live in it because they can't come up with the $800,000 in taxes, wouldn't they be taxed again on the sale proceeds of the home since it is not their primary residence? Taxed on the FMV of the winnings and then taxed on the gain on the sale of the home? Make sense?

Comments (13)

• brickeyee
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"If the winner decides to sell it and not live in it because they can't come up with the $800,000 in taxes, wouldn't they be taxed again on the sale proceeds of the home since it is not their primary residence?"

The taxes are a percentage of the winnings, not the entire amount.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

In California, property taxes are at the jarvis gahn inititave rate of 1% the appraised value of the home.

• sniffdog
    15 years ago

After we win the house we will let you know :)

We plan on selling the place after doing a 2 week vacation in wine county and staying in our new home. We love wine county, but the location of this dream home isn't ideal for us.

• wease
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Let me rephrase this. I win the house and I pay the tax on the winnings...whatever that is. Say it's $700,000. I keep it for a year and do nothing with it. I don't move there and don't live in it. I then decide to sell the home. I sell it for 2 million. Don't I have to also pay the taxes on my gain from that sale of $2 million dollars?

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

How did you come up with the gain? The gain (loss) is the bases between the initial appraised value that you paid the initial taxes on and the sales price. Unfortunately, if you sell for less that it was initially appraised for, you will not able to take the loss or recoup the taxes that you overpaid, at least as far as I know ( in regards to recouping tax overpay, you cannot take real estate sales as loss).

• wease
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I see. So your basis is determined when you pay the winning taxes. So if you sell it at the price it was appraised for, you pay no tax as there is no gain. Right?

• betsy_anne
    15 years ago

Presumably, on the day you win, you will have a federal (maybe state) income tax liability for the value of the property that day - if you sell it the next day, next week, or next year, your profit would be the amount you sold it for (minus expenses) minus the your basis in the property. For example, the value on the day you won is $750,000; you will owe income taxes on that amount as ordinary income. You sell the house for a net (amount paid by your buyer minus expenses of sale) of $800,000. Your profit/amount of gain you will then own income taxes for is $50,000 (net sale price - your basis in the property). So you do not pay 'twice' on the original amount of the property.

• danihoney
    15 years ago

I think the winner is only allowed two days in the house to decide.

• galore2112
    15 years ago

One scenario is missing:

What if the house drops in value to $1M a few months after the winner accepted the prize?
    => NIGHTMARE!

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

I would think that if the value could be reaccessed if it drops in value before then end of your tax year, you could claim that new lower value as your winnings.

• clemrick
    15 years ago

nutbunch, the value of the home is established at the time ownership is transfered. The house value could drop the next day but the IRS will still expect its full share of the original value. Lots of people working in tech got burned by this in the dotcom crash. They had been paid with options and those who didn't immediately cash in some options and pay the taxes later found that they still owed the IRS the whole amount, but their options were worth nothing. Wiped out a lot of people back then.

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

with options, you can write off the loss and recoup your taxes, you cannot do that with the HGTV dream house, as far as I know :-/