Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should you use the sellers agent?

Posted by jamaraz (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 8:37

Hi. I was not actively in the process of looking for a home but stumbled across a property I really liked. In order to buy the home, I would have to sell my house. I need as much cash as possible and I am looking for the smoothest transaction as possible. I haven't done a walk through of the property yet (just a driveby/internet).

Should I go to see the house with my own realtor or should I try and negotiate a deal to buy new house/sell my house with the sellers agent? I was thinking they would be the agent with the most vested interest to sell both properties as quickly/smoothly as possible.

My current home is 30 years old with many recent updates. However, I get the market dictates what my "model" is worth - regardless of upgrades. I'm pretty realistic to the low end market price for my home. It's more of a question for the high end price vs. time on the market.

The only reason to sell my house is to buy this specific house. The new house isn't my dream house but it is a chance to get into a desirable neighborhood at a good price. I'm looking to get the lowest realtor fees possible. Do you think the sellers agent has more incentive or should I go in with my own agent?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should you use the sellers agent?

You definitely should not use the sellers agent.

If you want an agent, get your own agent. In fact, get 2. One to represent you in buying and one for selling your place.

Agents all have the same incentive - complete a sale and get paid. You should focus on finding an agent that is good at their job vs worrying about their motivation.

o

Curious, if you have not done a walk thru, how do you know it is really what you want? Even property looks different walking about as to just driving past. I wouldn't do anything until you do this with a different agent.

o

Talk to the agents you like, think about which one/s you like working with, & see what kind of "combination" fee you can get.

I wish you the best.

o

If you use the same agent to but the new place and sell your old place you should be able to negotiate a reduced commission on the sale of your old place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here