Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curb Appeal Winter HELP

Posted by raya7694 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 8:01

Our house is going on the market next week. We live in IL which still has snow on the ground. Everything looks fine as the house is only 4 years old. Any ideas what to put on the porch/door to invite buyers. We are competing with new constructions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curb Appeal Winter HELP

Can you post a picture?

o

A picture would be terrific, but off the top of my head...things I'd tell anyone.

Paint the front door a rich, deep red depending on your exterior colors.

A pretty winter (or spring!) themed wreath on the front door.

A couple of pots with evergreen shrubs in them...

I might even put electric candles in the windows to add a welcome home glow.

Good luck with your sale!

o

Here is a photo

Here is a link that might be useful: photo

o

Looking at the photo, you already have good curb appeal. I actually wouldn't change anything, other than maybe the potted shrubs that Happyintexas mentioned... but honestly, I don't think you need them.

The only other thing I'd say is something it looks like you're probably already on top of: be sure to thoroughly clear snow/ice from the driveway, walkways, porches, and steps. And if you have any spring/summer photos of the outside, I would include them in the listing photos.

o

For Christmas, I bought two small artificial shrubs to put on either side of the door. I put lights on them for Christmas, but they add such a warm touch to the house that I'm going to leave them until it's warm enough to plant something real. Your house looks really nice as is, but a wreath or greenery near the door couldn't hurt.

o

I'd leave it 'as is'. Your house already looks nice. I'm not sure that other greenery wouldn't look tired at this point in the year.

o

Maybe some light in the windows (soft light), and maybe a couple of artifical potted flowers on the front porch for color? Check Hobby Lobby or make up some. Not real big, just a small splash of color.

o

This will be a lot of trouble, but it can help in the curb appeal -- assuming it snows more.

When you shovel the walks and drive, don't just pile the snow up alongside. Take it to a less visible spot and pile it there.

Prospective buyers will notice that your place looks nicer than your neighbors-- but likely won't be able to put a finger on just why.

o

I was there last February when we put our house on the market in an icy snowy winter (Massachusetts)and I freted about the icy driveway. I worked at keeping the drive as clear as possible and put a nice oversized dried flower arrangment on our entry porch (I would take it in overnight if snow was forecast). I was that anxious to make everything picture perfect in that terrible real estate market!. I even staged the entryway with its ultra tidy coats, winter boots etc. (We sold in 8 weeks:))
You might put a big potted plant in that lefthand corner of your porch or a wreath just to brighten. Good luck and hang in there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here