Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxbrown

Layout doesn't work - ideas?

DH has fallen in love with an expensive neighborhood for retirement. I'm okay with his choice. However there are currently only 3 detached houses for sale in our range. Two of them are cheap, but in bad shape and the third is near the top of our budget, in great shape with a super location, but we wouldn't be able to afford major remodeling. I'm happy to wait for something else to come along in a nearby area, but DH really likes Richistan and it's not too likely that something in the area will appear at a price we can afford since most of the houses in the area are huge. We're in no hurry to find a house, but he's decided that the nice house is the house for him.

So here's my question. How important is a guest bedroom? This is a three BR house, but the third BR is very small. He collects guitars and wants a nice room for his guy stuff. I say that he could use the second BR for his stuff and if we have visitors (rare for us) we could move his collection into the smaller room for the duration I've suggested using the smallest BR as storage for a guest bed or else putting a Murphy bed into the second BR, but he hates both solutions. He thinks that both of these solutions are "tacky", but he gets crabby when I suggest waiting for something else. There is a lot more closet space than our current house Anybody have any other good solutions so that he can have the house of his dreams?

Comments (7)

• kats_meow
    12 years ago

How important a guest bedroom is depends upon how often you have guests. I gather you are going to use one bedroom for his guitars. What are you using the 3rd bedroom for? I'm not clear what the issue is if you use bedroom 2 for his guitars and bedroom 3 for the guest room?

What is your DH's suggested solution?

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

What Meow said.

• trilobite
    12 years ago

Moving the guitars back and forth sounds incredibly irritating to me. Is the concern that the third bedroom is small?

If you tend to host couples, as long as you can squeeze a double bed in there, I wouldn't worry about it for a minute. If it was the most desirable bedroom in the house, it would be called "the master bedroom".

• lyfia
    12 years ago

What size is the smallest bedroom? What size bed would fit?

Since you said it is rare for you to have overnight guests I think you could easy use the small bedroom for a guest room as long as you could fit a decent bed and a night stand in there. I assume it already has a closet so there would be somewhere to hang clothes if needed.

As a guest I would most likely just be in there sleeping so as long as it was a good bed, I had a light and a nightstand if I wanted to read before falling asleep I would be fine.

• User
    12 years ago

"he's decided that the nice house is the house for him."

How do YOU feel about this house. Everything in your post is about what HE wants, how HE feels. That is so not a good sign of a happy retirement ahead!

Unless you are fully on board, tell him good luck in living in "HIS" dream house by himself and that you're sure that he can still afford it after the divorce if he takes a part time job. If that doesn't slap him back to a bit of reality here, you might really consider going through with the threat!

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

If your DH doesn't like using the 2nd bedroom or the 3rd bedroom for guests, what does he propose? What's tacky about the 2 options you've suggested?

• redcurls
    12 years ago

If my DH was crazy about a particular house, I'd do all I could to love the house. Especially since you don't seem to dislike it. . Certainly NOT worth a divorce over. ....

I don't quite comprehend the guest bedroom problem, either.

(Married 50+ years and have always chosen our homes by myself while he was in another state.)