Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gromitinwa

Home Warranties

GromitInWA
11 years ago

Not sure if this is the best place to post but I wonder what your thoughts are on home warranties?
I had one through American Homeshield for a year in a townhouse and used it once to have the garage door opener repaired (they replaced it). I was happy with the service, but never renewed it.
Now I'm moving into a home that was build in 1999 and I will be installing new appliances. It would appear that for about $500 or so I can get coverage for the appliances, HVAC, etc. With a 1 year extended appliance warranty selling for $69 at ajmadison.com, it seems that $500 is a good deal given that I would have coverage for other things besides the just the appliances.
Now of course there is fine print and there are exclusions, but fine print exists for the extended warranties for appliances too.

Comments (9)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I wouldn't waste my money as I feel that they will find a way to make sure most of the claims are denied.
    In fact I just received a very juicy settlement check from a class action lawsuit against your very own AHS for denying a claim they should have approved.
    But I suppose just as many people have had good dealings and feel they are worthwhile sometimes. Your call.

FYI in my own experience I have found that extended warranties are not worth it- if brand new appliances are going to fail it generally happens early and catastrophically while they are still under the manufacturers warranty.
    That new gasket in five years is just SOP maintenance.

Research your appliance purchases and each company's claims history and choose appliances that will last and have great manufacturers warranties.
    I would use that extended warranty money to upgrade to a more durable model and forget extended warranties.

If, as the warranty expiration date approaches, you feel the appliance is dicey you will receive plenty of extended warranty offerings in the mail that you can then take advantage of.
    No need to buy them up front if at all.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

They are actually 'maintenance contracts' NOT warranties.

Rarely do they pay out there cost.

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

If you have just one problem, it's well worth it.

HVACs & water heaters are 2 of the main systems or units that fail, & either one is very expensive.

• blubird
    11 years ago

We've had an American HomeShield policy on our home for several years now. I have never had a problem obtaining service on any of the covered items - the policy is very clear about what appliances are covered. I've had my dishwasher, micro, fridge, a/c and heating and electrical systems serviced over the years without any issues. Some years I come out ahead; some years AHS benefits.

I think buying extended warranties on appliances is ridiculous, when you can cover pretty much your whole house for not much more.

My daughter had a problem with her 1 year old LG fridge, which AHS, after several attempts at repair, did replace. Fast forward 5 years later, the replacement 5 year old LG fridge couldn't be repaired (LG could not provide the replacement control board) and AHS replaced the fridge again....this time my daughter had pretty much her full original purchase price offered to her and she replaced her French door LG with a French door GE. That was just about 2 years ago; we;re keeping our fingers crossed that the third fridge is the charm.

Helene

• sparksals
    11 years ago

We have also been with AHS for years and never had a problem. We received a brand new stove a couple years ago. They first tried to offer a lowball settlement, but I told them I wanted the stove repaired. When they could not get the required part, they replaced it.

• GromitInWA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go the home warranty route.
    Did any of you opt for having what seems to be optional roof leak coverage?

• gin_gin
    11 years ago

Just don't go with Globe Home Warranty. They agreed to replace our refrigerator, and we've been waiting for the check for over 6 months. They won't even tell me how much the check is supposed to be for. I have little hope we'll ever see any money. They have an F rating with the BBB & the internet is littered with the same complaint.

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

don't know about optional roof leak coverage, but you reminded me:

1. Check the termite protection clause. The best coverage is the kind that pays to kill termites under the house and under or in any structures (decks, garden sheds, etc).

2. If you live in the country, see if you have septic system coverage.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

If they actually pay out they would not make any money and go out of business (as many have).