Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyvia_gw

pseudo-HOA

lyvia
11 years ago

Good thing we only buy a house every twenty years, because this is crazy.

The people who created the subdivision where we want to buy made a restrictive covenant that says the following. The three brothers serve forever as an architectural committee, and even though they no longer own anything here, they have to approve all buildings, fences etc which they can reject for undefined aesthetics. They can fine us for nuisance activities of objectionable animals, even though they have not told us what that is.

It's not an HOA, because there are no dues. It's just an architectural committee established in restrictive covenants that run with the deed. There's no election, no open meetings, no provision to turn over the power, except by majority request of the residents.

So how do I get a packet of rules, if there is no HOA? How do I know what is a nuisance or objectionable? If they haven't enforced anything for years, would it be discrimination if they started with me? Such a mess. The title attorney is looking at it to see if this is a body trying to be an HOA but not following the HOA laws.

Comments (2)