Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Staging Weedy Acres

weedyacres
12 years ago

We're kicking off the cleaning/touching up/staging of our home, to go on the market as soon as we're done. I'm soliciting help with staging feedback, and am posting my threads on Home Decorating, but I'd very much appreciate any of you that don't frequent that forum to pop over as well and help us get our home ready to sell quickly and for top dollar.

I've posted a link below to the first room, and I'll just add to this thread as I start new room threads over on HD.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonus Room

Comments (13)

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

It looks like a nice room with lots of possibiities.
    I agree with some of the other posters to leave it empty.
    Let the buyers fill in the blank with the room they need for their situation - a playroom, an office, a man cave, a guestroom, etc.
    Good luck!

• Billl
    12 years ago

I think you are getting some poor advice. Most people are absolutely horrible at envisioning the possibilities of an empty room. The decorating forum is undoubtedly skewed towards people who find that second nature, but that is a rare trait in society at large.

Look at some comparable properties and see what is the most popular bonus room designation and then go with that. It doesn't need to be elaborately staged. eg an "office" needs a chair and a desk. If you have an agent, they should be able to help you decide what would be most appealing to the greatest number of buyers in your area.

• RooseveltL
    12 years ago

I hate to say it but advice from someone not in your community is irreverent. You know the target demographics of the buyer.
    In an urban environment - selling it as an office/day room is exact opposite of a suburb where a children playroom is the ideal.

I had a prospective tenants review attic space and the feedback was all over -
    .new parents - this is unsafe and has to be closed off
    .parents of a 5 yr - this is great play space for the toys, etc.
    .young childless couple - this is excellent space for your gadgets and musician stuff.
    .older folks - this is a great room for son coming home from college and storage

As you can see the advice of a realtor and knowledge of the typical buyer should go far in staging. I don't think empty is necessary just simple items and give a vision.
    At the end of the tour you want any buyer to remember your house has something to compliment their lifestyle which other homes don't.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been visiting comp open houses since last August. They're typically either empty (because the whole house is empty) or mish-mashy. Because I realize the room could be used in myriad ways, my goal is to pick something relatively neutral but put-together that just evokes a good feeling and lets them imagine something different if they choose. A loungy place with a bunch of comfy seating would probably do that, but I don't have the extra furniture to pull that off. So a bedroom with a desk seems a decent runner-up.

I don't have a realtor; I'm going to go flat fee MLS in this venture.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Added another 3-room set: a jack and jill bed/bath suite. Thanks for any comments on the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack & Jill suite

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

It looks like you didn't need to do any staging. Your under contract now, right?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

Yep - this post says the house is under contract

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg1122243012870.html?35

• User
    12 years ago

2 different houses. This isn't the long distance starter home. It's the larger occupied home.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Holly is correct: the one under contract is a former rental in another state. This is our primary residence. It's going to be priced in the top 10% of the market (not super high-end, but up there), so needs to be perfect.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Grow grass instead of weeds?

Just kidding.

Good luck.

What kind of 'marketing' has been used in your area and price range?

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've added photos of the master bedroom and bathroom. Comments in the thread would be most appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Suite

• feedingfrenzy
    12 years ago

The bed with the two nightstands looks very cramped where it is. There's barely room for all three pieces, and the nightstands even stick out beyond the wordwork. Anyone buying the house might well want put in a king-sized bed, and your arrangement will make them think there isn't enough room. Having the dresser directly opposite the bed only emphasizes that the room is basically long and narrow. It would be better to visually square off the romm by putting the dresser on one of the end walls. Then move the bed, etc to the dresser's former location.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The downstairs is ready for review & comment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Downstairs photos