Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyone_gw

selling BO with website??

crazyone
14 years ago

has anyone tried to sell their house themselves and had luck with setting up their own web page??

we have done so and are thinking to put an ad in the local paper with a photo, brief description and the URL...

there is talk that MLS will be available to sellers themselves in the future but has not happened yet.

Comments (12)

• creek_side
    14 years ago

We sold land that way. The trick is get the URL into a popular web site such as this one (in a legitimate manner), which will cause Google to raise your site's page rank.

You can list your house with four photos and the link for free in craigslist. That link won't help you with Google, though. Craigslist embeds a nofollow command in their pages to prevent people from posting there just to raise their Google page rank.

The Multiple Listing Services are owned by the Realtors' Associations. No way they are willing allow FSBOs in there without paying a member Realtor for the privilege.

• crazyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks creekside, that is good advice.

we did have it on craigslist but no bites,, will try again

are you in US? this is talk here in Alberta, Canada but i agree i bet the realtors will fight it tooth and nail :-)

i was reading blogs about the google issue as it does not come up even when i post the actual words anywhere near the first few pages..LOL

this is my attempt to sell BO online

Here is a link that might be useful: my house for sale on the web

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

There's no issue regarding "fighting it tooth & nail".

MLS is a Realtor trade association.

• jrdown
    14 years ago

crazyone ~

Lovely pictures and I hope you are able to sell it yourself. Are tile roofs really $50,000 in Canada? That makes your nice home a steal at $475,000. You may want to correct your spelling of "supurb" to "superb" just for the sake of correctness.

Otherwise, your presentation is quite lovely. Is there a difference in the exhange rate between the Canadian dollar and the U.S. dollar?

Robyn

• crazyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

robyn- thanks, yes the actual tile roofs are that up here, we realize we cannot do that on our new house just due to cost but there are some nice roofings we plan to use.

sadly most of the upgrades when building are in our current house and we will not be doing them on the new one but unless someone has priced out building they do not realize the value of the upgrades.. so our realtor put it in the blurb.. I used some of her info from when it was listed.

opps missed the spelling thanks for the heads up, will correct.

exchange rate is about .94 on your dollar.

• clg7067
    14 years ago

I think being on MLS is important. I do all my searching there only. The house I'm living in was not on MLS, and was a FSBO. The only reason I found it was because it was in the same neighborhood where I was looking at a couple of other houses.

You should be able to find somebody to list you on MLS for $500 or less.

• crazyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

really, you can get it on MLS without having a realtor get their cut?

I agree, I look on MLS for any place first but that being said you are right, if you drive by and see a place for sale that can do much more, I was just hoping to hit other avenues without going back to a realtor this time.

last time it was on for 6 months and although we got a fair amount of traffic, our realtor never showed it once herself.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

I just got a chance to look at your web site. It's nicely done.

I don't know your market, so take these suggestions with caution.

I would link your photos to larger versions. The current photos are too small, in my opinion.

There is one photo that shows the back yard and what I assume is a neighboring house right on top of the yard. Get rid of it. The closeness of the other house is a negative in most markets.

I'm not sure the mention of the tile roof's replacement cost is a good idea. Some people are put off by what might come across as bragging. Some might be concerned with maintenance costs.

The indexes of your website are publicly accessible. Anyone can list all the files on there. Unless you specifically want that, the site is misconfigured. Most website owners don't want it.

• ncrealestateguy
    14 years ago

Are you listing it FSBO at the same price as when you had it listed with a Realtor? You went 6 months w/o an offer when you had an agent. And now you are going to decrease the exposure quite a bit. What are you doing to compensate for that?
    95% of all buyers use agents to facilitate a transaction. And Realtors use the MLS. Unless you are offering the cooperating agent a commission, you just cut your buyer pool by about 95%.
    A web site is nice to direct potential buyers to. But only once they know about your property. Search Engine Optimization takes months and months to do, and you really need quite a bit of knowledge to do it.
    And , no, you can not get into the MLS w/o offering compensation to the agent that brings you a buyer.
    As far as your listing agent not showing your property, think of it this way... Here in Charlotte, there are about 6000 agents. As soon as an agent puts his listing in the MLS, who has the greater chance of having that one perfect buyer for your home... the single listing agent, or one of the other 6000 agents?

• crazyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

creekside- thanks for the suggestions, i am open to all and will delete the back yard photo and see what i can do to make larger, these were the small files used on the MLS originally. I can take out the tile roof too. it was just shocking to us to find out to put on our new build the cost of it here in Alberta. And i guess you cant add that being that price it has lifetime warranty.. perhaps that is something we could tell them if they came for a tour. I will look into the index. I am unsure how to change it as it is webspace from our internet service but will look into it. thanks

realestate guy - no the MLS list was 499,900 to start then near the end we tried a decrease. We chose this price as a price we would get after paying realtor. Now we are unsure what to do if we do relist with a realtor.. recession has had an effect on our area for sure but they "say" it is rebounding slowly now.

I understand the whole MLS theory - so bascially you are paying that 15-20K for advertising on MLS to 95% of the lookers. the only serious offer we had though was from word of mouth and them driving around town and seeing the for sale sign.

We are just unsure which way is the best right now for the economy and exposure.

thank you both for your suggestions and opinions though, they do help!

• creek_side
    14 years ago

I would verify that the roof warranty transfers to a new owner, and if it does, just say tile roof with lifetime warranty that transfers. I think that would help your sale.

On my websites, the index issue is controlled through a setting in cpanel, but you may have entirely different site management software.

• crazyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

creekside- thanks for the suggestions, i am open to all and will delete the back yard photo and see what i can do to make larger, these were the small files used on the MLS originally. I can take out the tile roof too. it was just shocking to us to find out to put on our new build the cost of it here in Alberta. And i guess you cant add that being that price it has lifetime warranty.. perhaps that is something we could tell them if they came for a tour. I will look into the index. I am unsure how to change it as it is webspace from our internet service but will look into it. thanks

realestate guy - no the MLS list was 499,900 to start then near the end we tried a decrease. We chose this price as a price we would get after paying realtor. Now we are unsure what to do if we do relist with a realtor.. recession has had an effect on our area for sure but they "say" it is rebounding slowly now.

I understand the whole MLS theory - so bascially you are paying that 15-20K for advertising on MLS to 95% of the lookers. the only serious offer we had though was from word of mouth and them driving around town and seeing the for sale sign.

We are just unsure which way is the best right now for the economy and exposure.

thank you both for your suggestions and opinions though, they do help!