Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stupid Q - Installing new doorknob before listing....

Posted by stretchad (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 20:20

Trying to get my house ready for listing at the end of February. The current front door knob is worn out, finish is gone, etc. A shiny new brass knob and bolt would look great.

If I have a door knob to the garage that uses the same key as the front door, would I need to replace BOTH door knobs and locks and key both to match a new key? Or, can I install a new one on the front door, and key it to match the garage door key?

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stupid Q - Installing new doorknob before listing....

If you buy the same brand and they're not that many years apart in age, it should be possible to rekey to the same key. In fact, I've even seen kits in hardware stores that let you do it yourself.

o

For the time the house is on the market, why not just use two different keys? The new owners will want to rekey the locks when they take possession.

o

I would agree with Gray, first weekend I had my house we rekeyed the locks. 1) to make them the same, 2) to lockout all the extra keys that were floating around.

And yes you can get them keyed the same. I'm not sure what they need. I think maybe just the new lock and old key.

o

I have a related question -- our front door has a separate lock and door handle. We replaced the lock a couple years ago with a keyless model and now the the door handle part needs to be replaced. Where can you buy just a door handle?? I don't want to pay extra $$ for the lock when i don't need it.

o

"Where can you buy just a door handle?? I don't want to pay extra $$ for the lock when i don't need it."

Its called a passage set and is normally only used on interior doors.
They are rarely good enough for use in an exterior door and exposure to the weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here