Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rima_wa

Attorney's Fee

rima_wa
9 years ago

Hi,
Curious what to expect for attorney's fees to handle a FSBO. Buyer also has no agent if that matters, but will handle their own end of the deal.
Thanks for any estimates so we know if we're in the ballpark.

Comments (8)

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

My seller's attorney charged them $2500 to handle the estate of their deceased mother which included the sale of the house. Hope that helps.

• hollynla
    9 years ago

If all they are doing is drawing up the agreement for you, it shouldn't be that much. Call a few real estate attorneys offices to find out. Once the purchase agreement is signed, the buyer needs to turn it into his mortgage lender.

I bought my current house by owner, we didn't use an attorney. We got the purchase agreement form and filled it out and turned it into my mortgage company. It was actually very easy. All I had to do from there was schedule the inspection. Make sure to list any contingencies on the purchase agreement with time limits for them. (i.e. satisfactory inspection, buyers financing)

• Linda
    9 years ago

In my area its $850 to $1000 for a standard real estate transaction.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

In the midwest, we paid:
    $600 attorney fee
    $185 abstract fee
    $170 state tax/stamps

In and out for under $1000.

Buyer paid:
    $935 title services/insurance
    $89 recording fee

Everything else on the HUD was bank fees and prepaids.

• rima_wa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much. If we can do it for $1000 or less I'd be thrilled. Buyer has offered all cash, so it should go very smoothly I'd think. (How people swing cash offers is just amazing to me.)

I have put in a couple of calls to attorneys and am waiting to hear back.

• Linda
    9 years ago

Perhaps you should be asking the attorneys when they call you back what sellers closing costs are, including atty fees. There are more than just atty fees.

• C Marlin
    9 years ago

linda117 - the OP only questioned what expect in attorney fees, never mentioned they thought it was the only fee involved.

• Linda
    9 years ago

Cmarlin, you always seem to have an issue with my comments, any particular reason? Since the OP seems inexperienced there is no reason not to suggest there may be other fees involved. THE Op never mentioned that they were aware of other fees involved either. Why not collect all the info at the same time? Just FYI in my area, the attorneys also collect the title company fees, the recording fees, and transfer taxes. Someone doing a fsbo most likely doesn't realize all the costs involved.