Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peoniesandposies

Electric vs Gas stove

peoniesandposies
12 years ago

We need to replace our stove now, but will probably be selling our house within the year. Our hook-ups are for either electric or gas (we installed a gas stove when we moved in 12 years ago, but there was an electric stove there then). I'd be willing to live with an electric induction top if that is what would be the most appealing.

Which would be more appealing to the general mid-level homebuyer?

Comments (39)

• mpinto
    12 years ago

As a realtor, I think you should stick with the gas stove, but include in the listing that there is a hook up for each.

• Linda
    12 years ago

Definitely gas. People who cook almost always prefer gas.

• SaltiDawg
    12 years ago

"Definitely gas. People who cook almost always prefer gas."

I think that actually the top choice among serious cooks would be gas burners on top with electric oven to include convection cook.

• Linda
    12 years ago

I think that actually the top choice among serious cooks would be gas burners on top with electric oven to include convention cook.

Perhaps Saltidawg but this is a real estate forum and "generally speaking", most home buyers who do any kind of cooking prefer gas. Serious cooks typically dont expect to find their dream kitchen in a "mid level home".

• kats_meow
    12 years ago

Personally I find gas a negative. We are looking at houses now and while I would consider a house with gas I would prefer electric. I would actually prefer electric induction. In the past I bought a house and took out the gas cooktop to put in electric induction (that said, I once sold a house with electric cooktop and the buyer took it out and put in gas).

• lyfia
    12 years ago

Dual fuel as in gas cooktop and electric oven is the most popular.

Personally I'm with kats_meow. We have both hookups too, but went electric.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

An induction top in a mid-range house is overkill.

You are not going to get your money back on the stove, so all you need to do is meet the competition.

What is popular in similar houses in your area?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"Personally I'm with kats_meow. We have both hookups too, but went electric."

Same here with the hookups.

I prefer electric.

• SaltiDawg
    12 years ago

"Dual fuel as in gas cooktop and electric oven is the most popular. "

Exactly.

Even in a Real Estate forum. lol

• phoggie
    12 years ago

I have had them both and I'll vote gas cooktop and electric ovens.

• sas95
    12 years ago

We would not have bought a house without a gas cooktop,

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"Serious cooks typically dont expect to find their dream kitchen in a "mid level home"."

hmmmmm.... define "serious cook".
    And explain why none would be in a mid level home.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

%5,000 to $12,000 it ay overpriced for a mid-level home.

When I sold my mid-produced home years ago I pulled out he Viking stove and hood ad installed a bad new gas stove and a mid-priced (about 300) hood.

The dual fuel 36 inch viking and hood sat in a storage unit until needed in the replacement house kitchen remodel.

• jimandanne_mi
    12 years ago

For our induction cooktop, we needed a 50 amp wire run to the kitchen just for the cooktop. If you don't have that capability, I think your choice would be either regular electric or gas, unless something has changed in the 4 years since we put ours in.

Anne

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Induction or dual fuel choices are for enthusiasts, not mass market homeowners. 90% of Americans will never have heard of either and would view it with suspicion as to difficulty of use, and apprehension as to repair cost. Simple and inexpensive is always the best choice for resale, especially in a mid range home. If the buyer prefers something different, then they can upgrade.

A good guideline is that if the technology has to be explained to your mother, then it's not going to be good for resale.

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

Avid cooks who would care one way or the other prefer gas.
    People that see cooking as a means to an end do not care one way or the other.

• azmom
    12 years ago

Gas hands down, especially if the hook-up is already there.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"You can get a decent one for $1,000 or less."

Much less.

And you can even put the age in the listing as a drawing point.

"Gas stove, 1 year old."

New is even better if you can hold of.

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

As one who has cooked on both gas and electric and considers the kitchen the most important room in the house when selling...gas stove all the way. I would have an electric oven as others have stated. I would consider an electric stove something that would need to be upgraded. I would ding off money from the asking price because of it. NancyLouise

• akrogirl
    12 years ago

I am also in the group who would consider gas to be a negative, and would immediately "upgrade" to induction. I have been cooking with induction for a couple of years now, in our most decidedly mid-level home, and would never willingly go back to anything else.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    12 years ago

I would buy a cheap a gas stove --- it is nice that you the hookups for either available though.

I doubt that the stove would be a deal breaker when buying your house -- I'd be more concerned with windows, furnace, roof condition,etc...

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"our most decidedly mid-level home"

Not if you have an induction cook-top.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

??

A friend has a home worth $100k, if she is lucky.
    She has induction.
    What would you consider HER home then?

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

"A friend has a home worth $100k, if she is lucky.
    She has induction.
    What would you consider HER home then?"

I'm from the land of tarpaper shacks with satellite dishes on the roof and Cadillacs in the drive. They're still tarpaper shacks.

Many starter homes have added luxury features such as whirlpool tubs, 3 car garages, or exotic wood floors. Adding luxury features does not "upgrade" a home into another category unless the neighborhood itself is changing. However, it can make that home more attractive to a future buyer, as long as the owner doesn't make the fatal mistake of thinking that the luxury was an investment that will return his money in the form of a higher price for his home.

Induction is not a technology that the masses understand, and would be a "plus" to only about 3% of the population, and that population would be among the upper economic brackets rather than the middle brackets. It would be the same as far as installing a computer controlled lighting system in a home. Only a very small percentage of people would find something like that a bonus. Most would find it a turnoff because it's "probably" too hard to learn how to use and "prone" to needing expensive repairs.

When in doubt about a choice for resale, pick the cheapest lowest common denominator. Anyone who wants a different choice can pay for that choice himself.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"What would you consider HER home then?"

The stove is out of proportion to the value of the property.

I have installed and then removed stoves, hoods, chandeliers (and the plaster medallion above them), quasi 'built in' bookcases (purchased bookcases screwed to the wall and some even cut down in width to fill a particular wall) when selling my personal residence.

These amenities where way over the price point the house listed at.
    I live much better than the apparent value of just my house, and have numerous acquaintances comment on how nice the inside of each of my houses have been compared to the rather plain exteriors (nice landscaping, but nothing that really stood out).

I remember my RE agent going through with me and asking exactly what items I wanted to remove, and she had a few more that probably should also be removed.

I left a very few items over the years (a wall mounted demilune table/shelf that was designed and built for a small foyer specifically).
    It was about 14 inches deep by 40 inches long, and made from a single piece of black cherry with beautiful figure, finish, and metal supports concealed behind cherry 'trim' pieces. It went with the granite and marble floor very well.
    The floor could not be removed really, and the wall mounted table would not be useful anywhere else.
    Above the table was a purpose built mirror, and a pair of solid brass sconces.
    It made a small foyer look spectacular, and was an attractive feature.

Many lookers commented (both agents and buyers) and the final buyer really liked it.
    The pocket door between the dining room and kitchen was another hit.

The added insulation in the walls (without removing the two coat plaster) was another hit.
    ALL the competition had the same two coat plaster (early 1950s) and no wall insulation.

A few had torn the plaster off and insulated.
    A took it down in large pieces, and then put it back up after insulating.
    I did it that way to not decrease the value, and because I liked the plaster walls (yes, it was a huge job).

I have added things like lights that turn on when the pantry door is opened (and not battery powered 'stick up' or cheap motion sensor lights).
    I used actual low voltage control circuits (think thermostat type voltage, power, and wiring) with a relay and lights (many low voltage but switched on the high side).
    One purchaser was still talking about it at the settlement table.

A few 'above the price point' features can go a long way, but I am not about to leave a $10,000 stove and hood in a mid-priced house (and around my location that is a house around $500,000).
    I would not get my money back, and would rather have the stove for my own use.

Stoves are not permanent, they are personal property that often conveys though.
    If you want to remove them, get them out before even showing the house.

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

Induction ranges (not just cooktop) can be bought for less than $2000 today.

• SaltiDawg
    12 years ago

"Induction ranges (not just cooktop) can be bought for less than $2000 today."

something seems out of whack if your kitchen stove represents over 2% of the value of your home. :-)

• cat_ky
    12 years ago

I am one that would be pulling out the gas and putting in electric. I do know it is not the most popular option, but, if you have ever seen a gas line explode, a house go up in bits and pieces, along with body parts (which I did about 50 yrs ago, while pushing a baby along a sidewalk in a buggy), you would really understand, why I absolutely detest anything gas.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Induction ranges (not just cooktop) can be bought for less than $2000 today."

And a plain Jane gas range is under $500.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"The stove is out of proportion to the value of the property."
    But, it doesn't matter, as she is a gourmet cook and loves to entertain.

"mid-priced house (and around my location that is a house around $500,000)."
    That's where location matters! Here in western PA, that is a very high end house.
    Most of the houses in my well-established, desirable neighborhood run between $200-250k; mid-price is lower.

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

Stoves and ovens are not personal property unless they can be wheeled in and out of place. Otherwise they are considered a fixture and convey with the home.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Otherwise they are considered a fixture and convey with the home."

They are specifically listed (often just a check of list) as conveying or not conveying in Northern Virginia, along with washers, dryers, dishwashers, etc.

The only exception I can think of is air conditioners, house heaters (as long as they are not 'window' type units) and water heaters.

Heat and hot water are generally required for every residence, while AC is an option under the building codes.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Like Brickeye......ranges and fridge are specifically listed on a contract here if they stay. It only stays automatically if it's built in. If it slides out, it doesn't automatically stay.

Gas for a serious cook. Electric oven if you can manage it. Even if it's a second one built-in. I'll tell you why. It is instantly responsive. And you can SEE the intensity of the heat just by looking. A lot of people are in to home canning too and it's nearly impossible with induction and a real witch on an electric range. Been there and done that. It's also cheaper to use in most localities. If you have the wiring and pipes run for either, I'd consider it a non-issue if I were looking since it would be easy enough to have what you really want. But if you didn't have lines run for gas cooking, I'd be turned off.

• turtleshope
    12 years ago

Another vote for induction here. We have used both, always preferred gas over electric coil. Then we got our induction range. Love it! so fast! easy to clean! low risk of fire, fumes. Nice even heat.

• idrive65
    12 years ago

Which would be more appealing to the general mid-level homebuyer?

The OP has probably made her decision, but I'm going to weigh in anyway. The best way to answer this question is to look at other homes in your price range, in your area. Oftentimes the "general mid-level homebuyer" is not overly concerned with anything beyond the appliances being newish and clean, and doesn't expect anything beyond a flat top electric.

While I agree that induction is a great alternative, it's still a mystery to most people (Kelly Ripa's Electrolux ads notwithstanding) and buyers may be discouraged by needing to replace some or all of their cookware to use this unfamiliar technology. Gas is a favorite among cooks and foodies, but they are a smaller percentage of "the general mid-level homebuyer" population as a whole. And of course if your home is in an area of luxury homes with expensive kitchens (regardless of whether they're used or not!) you need to take that into consideration.

So, look at what your comps offer, do the same, and point out that there are additional hookups.

• David Drobnicki
    6 years ago

A serious cook isn't made by a gas stove. It's a matter of preference.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

A serious race car driver isn't made by a race car, but it is more than a preference in order to be successful at Indianapolis.

• mwedzi
    6 years ago

We are in the market right now, and frankly a stove, as long as part of a kitchen that is in an overall good condition, isn't going to make or break our decision. Because it is far less important than other things that can't be so easily changed like # of bedrooms, layout, even flooring choice. Even whether the backyard has a big tree (which I disprefer). That said, if there were magically 2 homes that were the same in all other more major respects, I'd pay a couple thousand more for the one with a gas range. I'm not a serious cook and I don't know nothing about these induction thingamajigs folks are talking about here. But I do know I prefer a gas top, though I haven't had one in years. We saw 6 houses Sunday and not one had a gas range, so I was a little disappointed.