Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
workaholic90_gw

Home in SW CO with issues...help!

Workaholic90
13 years ago

First problem is there is an interstate pipeline going through the southern end of the property (3 pipes total). We specifically wouldn't move to Bayfield, CO and wanted to be miles away from gas drilling which is a bit different because of the fracking. We really only know about gas lines through the news and the most recent explosion in California. The ROW looks like it was through Pacific Northwest Pipeline Corporation and installed in 1955 (which seems pretty old). There are talks about adding a 4th pipe in the future.

Second, on the Sellers Disclosure Report they say yes to "Sliding, settling, upheaval, movement or instability of earth or expansive soils of the Property," then they note by hand "Expansive soils, Engineered foundation". The exterior construction is stucco and when we did the walk throughs we saw a few cracks near the ceiling and on the walls going in both directions. We know absolutely nothing about expansive soils or Engineered foundations. I have googled it but would someone please give me more info in layman's terms.

Lastly, the home had a well but had one at the top of a hill which went dry 2 years later. So they installed a cistern but only one 1000 gallon tank. Realtor says a property of this size appx. 50 acres should have well water or at least 2 larger cisterns. House is appx 2800 sq. ft.. I don't believe the well went dry because it was contaminated because it has been dowsed and has some water witching which says it has plenty of water. It seems that the owners just put it in the wrong spot.

Just wanted to hear peoples' thoughts on these issues and estimates on repairs if possible. Obviously the gas lines we can't do much with. We do have copies of the ROW easement on the gas lines and also there are above ground electrical poles and wires.

In closing, we really like this house and it was very well built in 2006. We do think it is priced way too high and has been on the market for 275 days.

Comments (9)

• larke
    13 years ago

I would run away fast, very fast. With all that's out there on the market these days I can't believe there's nothing else at all you like. That just seems like a very scarey and expensive (if not dangerous) situation.

• OttawaGardener
    13 years ago

So there is no well? No water on the property for the house? Is the cistern water trucked in? Did the previous owners never try to drill another well, or were they unsuccessful in doing so?

I wouldn't buy a house without a reliable source of water.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

Lots of properties have ROW's for different utilities ... is this common for your area?

Find out thse cost of drilling a new well and figure that into your decision. My area has slow recovering wells, you just learn how to live with them.

• ncrealestateguy
    13 years ago

1. ROW - I advise my buyers that the same discount that you want because of the ROW and the wires is the same discount that the next buyer is going to want too.
    2. For all that do not know what a cistern is... the water is collected from runoff of the home's roof, and directed to a tank. You have to watch your useage during dry spells. Find out the size of the tank. I believe most 4 bedroom homes use apprximately 350 gallons of water per day. (This is estimated on the high side) I personally would want a well, and so will the next buyers.
    3. Expansive soils are those that characteristically expand when wet and shrink when dry. This movement can cause problems with foundations. Soaker hoses placed around the foundation, on timers, are recommended to keep soil at a constant wetness.
    4. Engineered foundation... I do not know.
    5. Cracks in walls... only way to be sure if they are cosmetic or structural is to hire an engineer.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

RUIN, do not walk ... you have settling problems that need an expensive engineering assessment.

And you don't have water.

it has been dowsed and has some water witching which says it has plenty of water. ?!?!?!? Uh, thuis is the 21st centurym, not the 18th. We use hydrologists and geologists, not bent twigs.

• berniek
    13 years ago

"2. For all that do not know what a cistern is... the water is collected from runoff of the home's roof, and directed to a tank. You have to watch your useage during dry spells. Find out the size of the tank. I believe most 4 bedroom homes use apprximately 350 gallons of water per day. (This is estimated on the high side) I personally would want a well, and so will the next buyers."

FYI-It's against the law in Colorado to collect water this way, you have to truck it in, unless the well fills the cistern.

• worthy
    13 years ago

It's against the law in Colorado to collect water this way

Not any more.

• berniek
    13 years ago

"It's against the law in Colorado to collect water this way
    Not any more."

True to some degree. Read specific use and authorization requirements below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainwater Collection

• worthy
    13 years ago

Thanks for the clarification.

Living next to 393 cubic miles of fresh water, we don't always appreciate the Western approach to water and the rights thereto.