Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onlygirlsmom

Getting the House Ready for Sale

onlygirlsmom
12 years ago

I'm sure this type of question has been posted ad nauseum, sorry.

We are getting ready to put our house back on the market in the Spring. Our house is rather typical - 3/2, 1200 sq ft ranch.

This is what my husband and I have agreed on to do before putting it back on the market:

new front door and door to garage

new bedroom windows (there are only 3, so not a big deal)

new carpet for bedrooms (the rest of the house is wood floor/tile)

new lazy susan in cabinet (current one is broken)

I want to put tile in the bathrooms and update at least one of the vanities (either entirely new vanity or just a new top)

may or may not:

replace the kitchen counters. They are a basic beige formica but there is a burn mark at the sink.

My theory is to take away as many objections that the buyer might have so that it sells to as close to list price as possible.

My DH thinks that, regardless of what we do, the buyer will haggle us down on price so why do anything major.

Here is the listing from when we had it on the market the first time.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/706-High-St-Charlotte-MI-48813/2146994254_zpid/

Input? TIA!

Comments (10)

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

You won't like this, but I agree with your DH and I know that's not the popular thinking in the housing market these days. Every market is different and there is no one size fits all strategy but spending money on those updates seems excessive to me, especially given the price point of your house. Have you priced all of it?

You can get very low end carpet and padding for little money, and do the same with windows, but is it worth trying to guess what carpet a potential buyer might like? Or lose a potential buyer because they think you cheaped out on windows?

As a buyer, and I know this is not how many people operate, I want to pick my own new carpet, not feel stuck with something just because it's new and I'd feel guilty replacing it. Let ME decide the type, color, and price point and I'll do it when I'm ready. As for the windows, good quality windows are not inexpensive and I'd be totally turned off by new, low end ones. I'd rather buy a house with old, not great quality windows, knowing they will need to be addressed - again, on my timetable and with my budget and qualifications.

As for the kitchen cabinet, fix it if you can, or if you can just replace the turntable part and not the whole cabinet, that's worth doing. New front door? Can't see it well in you old listing - what's wrong with it? The garage door looks just fine to me - what's the issue there?

I'd MUCH rather view a house with carpet, windows, appliances etc that may be a bit tired, but that are clean, clean,clean than a house where the updates were done just to get a sale. Those last minute updates make me suspicious. Houses get lived in, appliances, doors, cabinets get used and buyers who expect a house to appear untouched are just nuts, IMO. Again, I know I'm swimming against the tide here. Clean it up inside and out, make it sparkle, and fix anything that is broken, squeaks or smells!

Here's a better link for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: onlygirlsmom listing

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

I would only replace the flooring and the broken lazy susan. I don't think the rest is going to going to get you any more money or a faster sale.

• kats_meow
    12 years ago

I wouldn't spend the money to replace windows or doors unless they are broken. That is a lot of money for not much return. Now if the door or windows are defective and don't serve their function then, yes, you might have to do something.

I might do the carpet if it is really unsightly as many people do have trouble getting past that.

• onlygirlsmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your input!

dlm-it's the door that leads to the garage, not the garage door. The garage door was replaced about 6 years ago. So, you're right it is fine :) We only intend on replacing the lazy susan part of the cabinet -much too much of nightmare trying to match one cabinet to the rest. I hear you on buyers who expect a perfect/untouched house are nuts but I also think that many buyers do expect that and to also pay a foreclosure price for it. Frustrating to say the least.

re: doors and windows. We've already replaced the front door. The windows really do need to be replaced -they're original to the house (22yrs) and are failing. Thankfully we only have 3 and they're not that big. The carpet is in the same condition. It's not original to the house but no amount of steam cleaning would get it to decent condition.

I'm still not sure about the main hallway bathroom -there is a crack (although it doesn't go all the way through)in the sink and the linoleum floor has a bunch of gouges in it -maybe just put in some new linoleum?

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

I think for your price, a new linoleum floor would be fine. I wouldn't leave the gouges. Not sure about the sink. Would have to see pictures.

• redcurls
    12 years ago

I think in your price range, you will be getting first time buyers so put in the cheap carpeting and windows because they will not have any extra dollars to take care of that stuff. They will probably spend every dollar they have just getting into the house. If the counter is bad, repace it with nice, cheap laminate...same for bathroom vanity tops. Make it LOOK good so that a buyer will desire to live there.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

"I'd MUCH rather view a house with carpet, windows, appliances etc that may be a bit tired, but that are clean, clean,clean than a house where the updates were done just to get a sale."

I'm of the same opinion. Don't throw a lot of money into something your going to be lowballed on anyway.

We bought a fixer upper from a flipper last year. I was glad the seller was meticulous about cleanliness. The place showed great. He had scrubbed and painted the entire house inside/out, including the basement. Same outside.

He replaced the carpet upstairs but unfortunately, he purchased the cheapest product Home Depot offered. It stank so badly we had to tear all of it out because the smell from off gassing made my husbands eyes and throat burn. It took months for the smell to go away. We don't really care for carpet to begin with so we refinished the floors and put area rugs down.

The seller also updated the bathroom vanities with the cheapest items available. He didn't bother with the kitchen counter. I wish he had. The color looks like mottled bird doodoo! That is on our 'to do' list.

If your going to change anything, I'd replace the kitchen counter with one with a bullnose. The one you have looks outdated. I do like the large kitchen window, floor tiles and stainless appliances.

Also make sure your yard/outside landscaping are immaculate. Our seller outdid himself on this. He planted evergreens out back, flowers in front, mulched everything and trimmed all the bushes. We have a gravel driveway too. He said he'd brought in a couple truckloads so it looked nice and new. Made it look great so you wouldn't notice that it wasn't more expensive concrete. ;)

I'm not real keen on all the vegetation you have out front. It seems messy and that large bush next to the flag pole seems to overwhelm that area. You might want to consider removing the flagpole and that large bush and replace it with shorter foliage or ground cover. Perhaps create a stone path to the front door?

Please post some pics of the back yard, bedrooms and bathrooms. thanks!

• nora_54
    12 years ago

If I am seeing right, you are in Michigan, which is a depressed market, right? We are in a similar market here in my area. I live in a very pleasant subdivision, with about a half-dozen homes on the market at a given time. Some have lingered for a very long time, while a few have sold within a month or two. What I've noticed about the ones that have sold quickly: clean, neat, and tidy in addition to being priced very well from the get go. The interior pics I've seen on the ones that sold show somewhat outdated fixtures and decor, but obviously everything in working order and clean. Good luck. We are thinking of listing in the spring.

• valkyrie4791
    12 years ago

I would fix anything that is obviously broken and I would replace any carpet that is past the point of cleaning. Then I would come up with a dollar amount that I was comfortable giving as a 'redecorating allowance' to sweeten the pot. Maybe others have disagreement with me...but when I was looking for homes I viewed that favorably--especially given that I want brand new carpeting (if any) and I'd rather pick and choose how I want to spend the money.

• onlygirlsmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone! It's been a crazy week here and I haven't had a chance to take some photos of the house. We've been working on getting the front entry finished. Next up is laying tile -it's a small space 4x6ish so I'm hoping to find some overage tile to use.
    nora-yes, our area that took a huge hit in the housing crisis. Thankfully, I think things have gotten a bit better so I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll sell this time around. We're also not doing it FSBO this time but using a realtor, so hopefully that will be to our advantage.