Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

The worst part of buying/selling a house!

lazy_gardens
10 years ago

Packing up to move!

Sale plans got moved up by a couple of years, which is a big YIKES to me, because I had a rather leisurely 3-year plan set out for moving into the other place.

Need to figure out what must be done before we can move to the other house, what can be done afterwards, and how to minimize the hassle. When and how to move three cats (2 with issues) to minimize stress on us and them.

And we need to decide real soon what stays and what goes at this end. And where to put it at that end.

Makes me reach for the wine bottle! And the list of my lists.

Comments (6)

• jrb451
    10 years ago

Good time to purge. Never realize how much stuff you've accumulated until you have to pack it up and tote it elsewhere. Is there a yard sale in your future?

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

ah, lazygardens - it's all good, though, isn't it? A compressed timeline can force you to be decisive and move on instead of lingering over tasks and delaying the inevitable - not that I know anything about that, nope not me!! Breathe in, breathe out and chew one bite at a time. Let us know how you're doing. It could be inspiring - not that I need inspiration, nope not me!! ;-)

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are probably several yard sales and charity pickups in the future. And some Etsy listings for some things.

Anything not essential for daily life is going through triage now, and getting packed up. We'll rent a storage unit in NM for a while, but the basic question on anything is going to be "do we want the hassle of packing it and hauling it over there"?

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

And do you want to pay to haul it over there and then sell it for a song or give it away?

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

When we had to move from a house we had lived in for a long time, we emptied out a room. Totally empty. We then went through each room and left only what we knew we wanted and put the other things in the empty room. We then went though that stuff and separated out what we weren't sure of, what we could Craigslist or Ebay quickly, what was trash, and what was charity. We divided the room in quarters and put each item in its respective corner. We kept the not sure of and moved that stuff. We ended up getting rid of a lot of the not sure stuff, but at least we weren't forced to make rash decisions we regretted later.

The charity and trash stuff went out the door fast. The Ebay-Craigslist took a few weeks. What was left was then in one room for the movers to pack all together, which made it easier for us to decide about them later as we were unpacking.

Good luck. I must say - the purge was stressful and then liberating.

This post was edited by nightowlrn on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 0:19

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shielajoyce - That too. Unless something has a place - unless we know exactly how and where it will be used over there - it's not going.

The storage unit is because we will be shuffling furniture and rooms for the last bits of upgrading. The plan is to finish an area - like replace the flooring, add the bookcases and lighting to the sunporch, then get the sunporch stuff out of storage and place it.

Nightowl - I really, really LIKE that method.