Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfgang80_gw

Turning Utilities on for Inspection--Who's responsibility?

wolfgang80
14 years ago

The bank approved the short sale that I made an offer on.

The house is currently vacant and all utilities have been shut off.

The seller is refusing to turn the utilities on for an inspection, saying that she doesn't have the funds to do so. It seems really odd for a prospective purchaser to have to put the utilities in his name so a complete inspection can be done.

Should I push back on this?

Thanks for your input.

Comments (10)

• wolfgang80
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, I meant Whose responsibility.

• berniek
    14 years ago

It's negotiable. It can't be more than $150 to have them turned on and as the seller said, they are broke. Call the Utility Companies about the actual expense, but make sure if you want the house to have a thorough inspection with utilities on.
    Good luck!

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Getting someone already losing a house to a short sale is liable to be like trying to get blood out of a stone.

If you want the utilities on you are very likely going to have to pay for it yourself.

• logic
    14 years ago

brickeyee: "If you want the utilities on you are very likely going to have to pay for it yourself."

True...and also take on the liability if anything should happen once the utilities are turned on...such as a water pipe bursting, gas leaking etc...
    Short sales are not for the faint of heart.

• chrisk327
    14 years ago

Not sure if they can/cannot, but would there be a way that they turn the utilities on and you pay for it?

I certianlly wouldn't want it in my name if it were me buying the house.

In a normal situation, as a buyer I would force the seller to do that. In this situation, sounds like you need to pay to play.

• berniek
    14 years ago

"True...and also take on the liability if anything should happen once the utilities are turned on...such as a water pipe bursting, gas leaking etc...
    Short sales are not for the faint of heart."

I don't believe that. The owner has the liability and should have insurance to cover that, the owner authorized the inspection with utilities working. After the inspection, the utilities get turned off and winterized if necessary.
    If during the inspection a defect is identified, depending on the seriousness, it becomes a negotiable item between buyer and seller.

• logic
    14 years ago

Berniek: "I don't believe that. The owner has the liability and should have insurance to cover that, the owner authorized the inspection with utilities working."

Perhaps...IF the owner still has homeowners insurance....which in this case seems pretty questionable as the seller claim that he/she is broke.
    The OP needs to get it all in writing, verify, and not assume.

• berniek
    14 years ago

The owner gets the utilities turned on/off, the buyer pays for it. Only the owner can call utilities to have this done, no one else can where I am.

• C Marlin
    14 years ago

Perhaps...IF the owner still has homeowners insurance....which in this case seems pretty questionable as the seller claim that he/she is broke.

The seller has a lender, they have insurance, either their own or forced.

• logic
    14 years ago

cmarlin20: The seller has a lender, they have insurance, either their own or forced.

Even so...the OP should make certain that the policy covers this scenario....and not assume anything if he wishes to be assured of not being left holding the bag.