Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Real estate agent commission

Posted by dallas2012 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 13:30

I have a situation here, i started with a agent looking for a house for almost 2 years, looked about 50 huses, then I found a new subdivision with new construction going on. I let my real estate agent know about it, and signed a P&S with the builder. When the house was half way finished, the builder filed for bankruptcy, and I lost my deposit. I was then able to buy the property from the bank, and hired a GC to finish the house. I lost a lot, didn't really get a good deal from the bank. My agent wants some compensation for his time, I do want to pay some thing for his service,
but not the commission he's hoping for based on the value of the house, plus I wasn't expect to pay for him. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Real estate agent commission

A few questions -
Did the agent help you in any way with the contract to acquire the property from the bank? And how did you do it?

IMHO, if agent was involved when the builder filed bankruptcy similar to any sale which goes belly up either due to lender, appraisal or seller bankruptcy - that arrangement is null and void. The seller typically pays the agent out of his/her proceeds and not the buyer.

Unless, the bank is aware of the agent - it really is a business arrangement and not any intentional act of your own to stiff him out of his percentage. It is unfortunate but not your fault - business is business.

o

If you signed a Buyers Agency agreement with your Realtor and it was still in effect when you made the offer to the Bank/Seller then there is agood chance that you owe him a commission regardless of who you purchased the property from....if not then it is less likely...the original sale may be null and void but the Agency Relatonship (Buyers Agency) may not be and that is the key.
If you signed a Buyers Agency Agreement then read it carefully and you should find the answer to your question.

This post was edited by LOTO on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 7:03

o

LOTO is correct, IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here