Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayden2_gw

New stove top to sell house?

hayden2
10 years ago

We have a kitchen that is basically updated about 4 years ago. However, we only updated our appliances when they dies. So when our 30-year old refrigerator suddenly stopped working we got a stainless steel fridge. Ditto dishwasher and microwave.
R house might sell faster
Our oven has not stopped working. It's a 10 year old biscuit colored stove.

We plan to sell our house in 2015 when we retire. Should we replace the stove so it matches the SS, or just leave it? I believe our area usually sells to families with kids, where most families prefer move in ready. So replacing might help sell the house quicker.

On the other hand, we would not recover the expense of the new oven - I can't believe how expensive they are.

Should we replace it, and hope our house sells faster, or leave it and not spend the $700-1,000. Thanks.

Comments (20)

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

You might want to search Craigslist in the upcoming year to see if you can get a SS stove for a good price.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

IMHO - move in ready doesn't mean you have to anticipate the buyers every possible whim or color preference, just that it can be moved into and lived in as is with all systems fully functioning. Appliances can be replaced by the buyer with very minimal disruption to the household.

• jrb451
    10 years ago

If everything else is in top shape then this shouldn't be a deal breaker.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would check on CL and replace it. That way your kitchen looks updated, which will reflect well on the whole house.

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I am CL-challenged. All I get when I go into the site is companies advertising that they have hundreds of models to choose from. Is CL really a place to buy things, or is it more of a yellow pages to find stores that advertise on the site?

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

CL has an option to view listings from dealers or owners, Choose owners and you will not have to deal with the companies advertising.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Also check used appliance dealers.

I got an almost-new SS range and microwave/exhaust fan combo for 30% of the retail price. With a 90-day warranty

• User
    10 years ago

Move in ready means neutral, clean, and all permanent fixtures, like appliances or tubs and toilets, matching colors. Sure, you can price it less to compensate, but in the buyer's world, a 1K stove becomes a 5 K appliance credit.

I have to say that if the minimal cost of a new range stretches your budget that perhaps you aren't familiar with the additional costs ahead of you as you go to sell your house. You may want to begin that prep work now so as to spread its costs over the time interval between now and then. Start looking for oops paint, and decluttering and donating. That's the two cheapest staging elements that anyone can do.

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

Don't forget about the Sears Outlet! We've been getting all of our new appliances there, because we don't care about the dent in the side or scratch on the top (depending on the appliance, of course). Some things are perfect - just returned and don't have a box.
    Also, the big box hardware stores (HD, Lowes) often have display or discontinued models on the floor for deep discounts. Just keep an eye out for what fits your space.

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Is it just the stove top or the whole range? I'd replace, but if it's going to be a year, I'd wait until then. It wouldn't bother me at all, but I'm not the typical buyer who only sees what is on the surface.

I've been wondering about this myself, except all my appliances are white except the dishwasher which is stainless. But I've been hearing about the glass exploding in new ovens during the clean cycle, at least the ones with an enclosed element, and I'd almost replace mine and take my oldies but goodies with me.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

If I were you, I would make a weekly practice to drop by the Home Depot, Lowes, HHGregg and other big-box stores that sell appliances. They pretty regularly sell off their display appliances at big discounts.

I got a great deal on a Bosch dishwasher that way.

• alisonn
    10 years ago

We found a used stainless double oven and microwave on Craigslist for $375 for the pair. Seems that the seller does kitchens and he remodeled a woman's kitchen and she had old cabinets and relatively new appliances that were in great shape, but she said "Take them--I want everything new." He says this happens a lot. I live in NJ, though, and I think when you live in an upscale region, people are more likely to get rid of perfectly good stuff on a whim. So maybe check out Craigslist in a nearby, swank area of your state.

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

"Should we replace it, and hope our house sells faster, or leave it and not spend the $700-1,000."

Don't bother spending the money. Use the stove until you leave. If a buyer makes a stink, give them a credit.

I turned down the brand new stove that came with our house. I didn't like it at all. Cheapest one the big box store sold.

I wouldn't have wanted the hassle of trying to get sell it or get rid of it myself, so I let the owner take it. He put it in his lakefront cottage.

I had a vintage gas stove in mind and that is what I purchased. It was inexpensive. If I'd asked for a credit, it would have a lot less than 1k. I didn't tell a seller that, just asked for a little more money off the asking price. :) Which he gave us.

Let the buyer deal with it. They will probably have something else in mind anyway. Don't most of them?!

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

"Sure, you can price it less to compensate, but in the buyer's world, a 1K stove becomes a 5 K appliance credit. "

Agreed. It'll be less expensive all the way around to make sure your appliance finishes match when putting your home on the market.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

Absolutely replace the cook top (to match the color of the other appliances.) It needs to be working!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Buyer:
    "If I'd asked for a credit, it would have a lot less than 1k. I didn't tell a seller that, just asked for a little more money off the asking price. :) Which he gave us."

There you have an answer how a buyer will approach a credit.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

It really depends a lot on the market. If homes are getting snapped up fast, people will overlook a mismach oven just to get the house, but if homes are selling slowly, you will need to stage your house, put some money into fresh paint and make it look like a model home where all appliances match.

New carpet (cheap but new and in a neutral color) makes a house sell fast. People don't want to do all the work. They have blue sofas, and your carpet is a nice beige. This works! SOLD!

People want working appliances, and all research shows that you get a major portion of your kitchen remodel investment back, PLUS your house sells fast!

We sold my late mother in law's home very fast by remodeling the kitchen, removing all clutter and personal items, new carpet, and whittled down the furniture to just enough to make the home show well.

Buyers will make changes for sure. But if they fall in love with your updates, and it all comes in the purchase price. Done deal!

Suzi

• notto
    10 years ago

Are you selling it as a Handyman Special?
    If you want it to sell fast, you need to make the house presentable. Nothing bugs me more than mismatched appliances, even if I were to gut the kitchen. Buyers are visual. Neat, clean, decluttered and matched things are appealing. $1000 is plenty to buy a stainless oven/cooktop. It has to be in good working condition and match.

For every month it sits it will cost you money and aggravation. What is that worth to you?

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Notto, thanks for your thoughts.