Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeseller2010

List of upgrades?

homeseller2010
13 years ago

Hello,

I have made these upgrades and question is what else may be needed to stage the home that is going to be in the market early spring.

1. Hardwood floor--LR/DR

2. Tiles in entry foyer and kitchen

3. High hats in three bed rooms

4. Painted neutral LR/DR/Kitchen

5. Crown molding for LR/DR/Kitchen

6. de-cluttering is still going on

Home is 7 years old. Any suggestions/advice welcome.

Thanks

Jim

Comments (9)

• booboo60
    13 years ago

Don't forget the "curb appeal"!! If they don't like the looks of the place you can't get them in the door! Lol!! Sounds like you have done alot of work and the house seems fairly new, good luck!

• kats_meow
    13 years ago

Hard to say without knowing more about your house. Can you post some pics?

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

Do you have a friend or anyone who will give you a honest opinion? Post pictures here if you want opinions.

Basically, you need to go outside and walk in as if you were seeing your house for the first time. Curb Appeal has already been mentioned. Ring the doorbell. Does it work? What does your house smell like? Do the walls look clean? Do the light switches/electrical work? Clean the light fixtures and replace burnt out bulbs. Dust the fan blades.

How does your stove look? Is it clean inside and out includin the drip pan? What about the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom? Ours were worn so we replaced them. How about grout? Is it stained?

Check window screens for holes. Touch up any paint on wall corners that may haven gotten nicked.

These are all basics. What needs to be done depends upon the house.

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I will post the pictures once my home computer is fixed--I have few issues with the computer itself.
    Now, I am using library computer to post here.

twotogo--I do not have much of landscaping in my front yard. Only thing I need to take care is to paint the front porch(paint has peeled off), paint the railings and clean one fixture. All these can be done only if these awful temps and snow permits, here in NJ. adellabedella--all my friends say that I should be selling my home as is without worrying about the upgrades. However, I feel because of the competition in the neighborhood I should and can afford few upgrades.

Thanks
    Jim

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I understand where you are coming from. We ran into a situation with our last house where our desired upgrades were pricing us out of the neighborhood. We did a few upgrades like hardwood floors because we wanted to enjoy them. We ended up selling a year or two before we had planned, but that was ok because we knew the new floors wouldn't get us a better sale price, but most likely did help us sell faster. We upgraded plumbing because the old stuff just made the house look tired. Like you, we tried to make our house the best bang for the buck. We priced our house to sell.

Our house had great curb appeal and layout. We also had a 'WOW factor' that no one else in the neighborhood had. That was our patio area. When you walked out into the side yard that lead to the back yard, it was a haven. There was a small chunk of concrete that had been pored when the house was built. The previous owners had added 16 in pavers to extend it out to the fence. Dh and I pulled up a couple of rows up pavers and planted trees, flowers, and shrubs. We added a picnic table with umbrella and chairs with brightly colored cushions and painted the benches so they looked nice. It looked rather inviting in a neighborhood where the backyards were sunbaked. I don't if something like that would work for you, but it is something that could help you stand out. We did it because we enjoyed it, but the cost really wasn't all that much.

• orv1
    13 years ago

What is a high hat?

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Recess lights.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    13 years ago

Hmmm.. do people in your area like recessed lights in their bedrooms?

That is not a common feature here... and I wouldn't think that necessary.

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In North NJ where I live this has become a craze. I did not have these all these years, now I see these in new and upcoming homes and every buyer wants these!! I got it installed only for selling my home.
    Jim