Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

How to move canned goods

ryseryse_2004
9 years ago

We will be moving in a few weeks from Northern Il and I have lots of canned goods that will have to go into a moving van. The van will be in below freezing temps for several days before it arrives in TN and I am wondering if my canned goods will freeze?

How can I protect them?. We are going down there in a truck pulling a camper (with 2 large labs and 5 outdoor cats in separate crates. Because it is a 10+ hour drive, there won't be room for much else in the camper so the food will have to be in the moving van.

I hate to give it all away, but will if that is the only alternative.

Comments (9)

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Are these home-canned items?

If commercial products, donate the canned goods to the Food Bank or a local church pantry. I'm sure they won't take home canned goods.

• trilobite
    9 years ago

Looking it up, it looks as if frozen and thawed canned goods are safe IF all the seals/can survives the freezing/thawing process intact, otherwise, you must discard the product or transfer it to a new container, depending on a few factors. So, you'd have to carefully inspect everything the minute you get to your new place, clean up any mess, transfer to new containers, etc. which is pretty much the last thing you're going to want to do at your new place. Seriously, give this stuff away.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Canned stuff should be fine. Jarred stuff put into plastic bags inside boxes just in case they blow.

But a food bank is probably a good option. You'll have to go shopping when you get there anyway! :)

• camlan
    9 years ago

Are you moving yourself or hiring movers?

If you are hiring movers and paying by the pound for the move, give the stuff away. It will be cheaper in the long run, rather than first paying for the canned goods and then paying more to have them moved. They are heavy.

If you are moving yourself, then make the decision based on just how much you want to move those cans. Is the investment in canned goods greater than your desire to pack, lift, move onto the truck, move off the truck and unpack all those cans?

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

I would use up as much of them as I could over the next few weeks that you have. Plan as many meals around them as possible.
    If the church or the food bank won't accept them, just ask them "off the record" of a name or two of some needy families. They would love a gift like this.
    I understand your dilemma... my pantry is full of peaches, tomatoes, jams, hot peppers sauces, and wild mushrooms. It's a lot of work and a season - long passion that goes into the canning process.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I used freecycle to give our food items when we moved IL to NC last November. I started with the things I knew I wouldn't use up that were all within date codes - canned goods, jars, and packaged items. I also noted that there would be some items out of date if anyone would be interested - every single thing was taken because most people know the dates are somewhat meaningless. In addition, I said I would offer some open items - spices, baking essentials (baking powder/soda, flour, sugars, etc) cookie sprinkles, food coloring because it was senseless to move them. I was unsure how people would react to open items but figured I'd offer and again, everything was taken. Once people on freecycle get to know you and the type of items you offer, they will know you're not a wacko! One woman took almost all and said she'd take anything from me - even ended up with my open refrigerator items - pickles, mayo, every condiment under the sun.... I was thrilled not to be throwing away any food and knowing a family in the area was making good use and saving a bit of money

• peegee
    9 years ago

I particularly like ncrealestateguy's practical, sensible solution! Donate the rest. BUT, if there are some special, pricey items, what about packing in insulated coolers if you have any to move anyway. Maybe also lined inside with a sealed heavy trash bag; might protect the contents, or at least contain any breakage.

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really appreciate all of your help. What I am talking about are home-canned goods. Unless you have grown and processed your own food, you don't understand how hard it is to give it away. Yes, selfish but what about my pickled beets?????

Anyway, I have given most of the stuff away on Freecycle and am taking just a few jars of things that we will not want to be without. (spiced apples, dilly beans, apple butter, salsa and of course, pickled beets).

Anyway, thanks all and have a wonderful new year!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

That's a whole different can of beans ;-) !! Good luck with your move.