Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Need a paint color for empty house with dark wood trim

jockewing
13 years ago

I am trying to sell a house I inherited. I just had an estate sale and everything sold so the house is basically empty now. All of the walls are currently painted SW Creme, one of their older colors that is basically white with a drop of gold in it. These walls have not been painted in 15 years, but amazingly I had some new Creme paint mixed up and it matches exactly! I am pretty sure I'm just gonna reroll the bedrooms with one coat to cover any spots. But I am thinking of painting the living room and other rooms in the front of the house with some color to give the place some life.

The living room has one wall on which the fireplace is situated that has a yellowish/gold brick. All the trim in the house is the 80's dark brown wood with a slight orange-ish tint. The carpets are all a cocoa-type color with a slightly gray undertone. Any recommendations on a color? I kind of want to stay away from beige as that will just be another warm brown tone to go with all the other brown and yellow tones already present. But, I know that beige might be the safest choice. I tried a sample of SW Believable Buff and it looks OK.

Basically I want something that will complement the wood trim and make it less noticeable. Right now there is too much contrast between the white walls and the dark trim and I think it makes the place look slightly "choppy".

Comments (5)

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz