Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmm1_gw

Clothes line removal before showing

cmm1
11 years ago

We will be putting our home on the market in the next 6 months.

We will be asking in the high 700 or low 800k range. The house sits on almost 12 private acres. No HOA!

When planning the house I specifically put the laundry room on the main floor near the outside exit so I could use a clothesline from April until the end of October. I only use the dryer in that time period for towels. Call me crazy but hanging clothes on the line is like therapy for me!

Now I know this is not for everyone so I am thinking I should remove the line before listing? It does sit in the back of the house so it does not appear as soon as you drive up the driveway.

We are marketing the house as energy efficient since we do have a geo thermal system which has been a huge cost savings on our electric bill. The house also is specifically insulated for the system using green material. I guess in a way a laundry line fits in with that theme? Or just tacky given the asking price for the house.

I would make sure there was no laundry hanging on days when a potential buyer would be through the house.

Comments (12)

• battyjac
    11 years ago

Personally I would consider it a plus! I have an indoor drying system now because my HOA doesn't all clotheslines and my laundry room is upstairs anyway. I plan on putting a clothesline outside in my new house. If it's an eyesore I could see taking it down but if it's in good shape, no. (I'm not an expert at all, just saying I would want the line. The house I'm planning on building is green too and I plan on adding a gray water system)

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Are your lines long fixed ones running from the house? Or one of those freestanding umbrellas? Or a set of free standing ones between poles?

If the umbrella one (and therefore removable and maybe not conveying?) then remove it between washes. But mark the pole position so people know it's there and ready for use.

If free standing fixed lines between poles, then tighten up the lines so all is ship shape and leave them up.

If the kind running from your house to a pole (and the least pleasing to many people), I would consider swapping them out for a set of retractable lines, that you keep retracted against the house unless in use.

As far as having clothes hanging out during a showing, well I guess I would try to avoid that, if possible. But not the end of the day if you have an unexpected viewer.

I dry all my laundry on the line, year-round, and I live in northern NY. So I'd appreciate what a great thing it is to have clothes lines. I'd train your agents to point out what good planning it is to have an easy exit to the lines.

But don't be surprised if most people reject the idea since people are so fixated on having second floor laundry rooms.

L.

• Adella Bedella
    11 years ago

I'd probably take it down and hide it unless it were the norm for your area. Someone who is interested in that won't be swayed one way or another. It could look unattractive to others.

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

I would leave it up. If someone has kids, I have seen them use the lines to make a tent-- and play yard near. Good for hanging out blankets etc. Sometimes people need to be reminded that this is a good thing. I use to wash pillows and hang them out also.

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

I would leave it up, too! I'd even consider hanging some really pretty and fresh smelling pillow cases or something along with an old fashioned clothes pin pouch. Make it look charming :)

• jmc01
    11 years ago

Leave it up!

• Fori
    11 years ago

Like Sasafras says--I was thinking nice tea towels, but something dainty (not lingerie dainty!) and small. If nothing else, it'll keep people from getting clotheslined.

• azmom
    11 years ago

Leave it up! Hanging clothes dry is an in thing with current green energy movement, it is not crazy at all.

When showing I would leave the line with nothing on but a cool, modern, sleek looking clothes peg bag.

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

Could we see a pic?

• nancylouise5me
    11 years ago

No need to take it down. Clotheslines are still perfectly normal items that don't detract from the house. Plus it goes along with your eco home. NancyLouise

• c9pilot
    11 years ago

I agree with leaving it up, and I'd "stage" it, too, with just two or three clean, white white linens.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

OK, I'm one that would perceive an outdoors clothesline as a bit weird. You don't see them around the parts I live. :-)

That said, I'm also one that doesn't shy away from a home that needs stuff done to it, so it wouldn't deter me from buying it if everything else was right.

So I'd say it depends on what it looks like. Got pics?